Home Training Range on a Budget...

Basic Firearm and Defensive Skills and Training Discussion Section.
GlennSFX
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 011

Home Training Range on a Budget...

Post by GlennSFX » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:46 am

So after seeing the thread on the "Training Drill of the Month"...it made me think of my training setup at home and how it has helped me be a better shooter. I've posted this information in a couple threads on here, but thought it might be wise to have a dedicated post for it in the Training thread.

There's only 3 things you need...
  • First you'll need the training software call ShootOff, and best of all it's FREE! The software will run on a Windows or MAC computer, you just need to install the latest version of JAVA.
    http://shootoffapp.com/
The setup is pretty simple...you plug the webcam into your computer, launch the ShootOff software, and point the webcam at any target you want to use. With striker fired pistols you do have to slightly rack the slide to reset the trigger on every shot.

The software has different training mode where you can shoot for accuracy and the software will record you POI. You can choose to be timed where you'll be give the "Shooter Ready" command, and then you'll get the beep. You can set the random beep timing width and choose what sound you'll get when the laser pulse is recorded. I have mine so it sounds like a steel plate being hit. The software keeps track of your time for each shot.

You don't need a lot of distance to use it. I mostly shoot from around 6-7 ft. For me I usually work on my sight picture and getting a precision hit. This was especially helpful when I transitioned to my first red dot optic. I'll mostly start from a low ready position, or from a holster, but you just want to focus and stare at your target, extend out until the dot is in your line of sight and pull the trigger. No head movement at all...the dot should come right into your sight picture. That's where the software helps you on your trigger control and executing a clean shot.

Here's a couple screenshots I took using it this morning...

First was timed starting from a low ready stance. The target is an 8" circle which is nice for IDPA training. If you're consistently hitting in the center of the target , you'll be even quicker just firing when you get anywhere in the circle.

This one was just accuracy where I cycled the gun in a mid ready stance and quickly extended to the next circle. This target is one that is used at close range which works out well with the laser training.

OK...so this is a pretty simple and inexpensive setup, less than $100, to train at home with. It's obviously not a replacement for life fire training, but you can work on different drills. I'll even use it to time mag changes where I'll fire the shot, quickly rack the slide back with an empty mag in the gun, drop the mag, reload and get the shot off. Granted you have the extra step of racking the slide, but you will get a time and with training you can get pretty good. This would be a real life scenario if you were riding the slide release and your slide didn't lock back on your last shot.

Anyways hopefully this will be useful information and has all the info you need. There are a number of videos on Youtube showing how to use the software. You can get a little crazy using a project and be shoot at Hickok45's range!!! :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8vMpX ... uJ99TR3sAA
0 x

Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Re: Home Training Range on a Budget...

Post by Janik » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:13 am

Very cool. I've been looking at a home training system to use. I just ordered a laser bullet the other day on Amazon and should be here this week. The one I ordered is made by G-Sight and is $39.99. Hopefully it's decent like the more expensive ones. I've been debating getting interactive targets or doing something computer based. Looks like the system you posted about isn't expensive and worth the cost.
0 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Post by TL1000RSquid » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:43 am

Been debating on picking something like this up, they do moving interactive targets too?
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:22 am

TL1000RSquid wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:43 am
Been debating on picking something like this up, they do moving interactive targets too?
I'm pretty sure I remember seeing something on that when looking at the Youtube videos. I believe it was available when using the projector setup. I'll have to take a look.
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:24 am

A sample of what I was shooting at this morning...

0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:27 am

TL1000RSquid wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:43 am
Here's a video showing that the software does offer moving targets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX-yAfdvjmg
0 x

spen48
Founding Member #: 1269

Post by spen48 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:53 pm

Excellent....being a computer nerd I already have most of this equipment.
0 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Post by TL1000RSquid » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:34 pm

I might have to shop for cheap projector on black friday.
0 x

lewmed

Post by lewmed » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:19 pm

I use LASR ( laser activated shot reporter] you can use anything as a targer I even use a projector to put a life size target on my basement wall. I used it to show my friend why his new Glock was hitting low left it showed a smear instead of a dot as he pressed the trigger. Check out the many ways to use it on u tube
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:58 pm

lewmed wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:19 pm
I use LASR ( laser activated shot reporter] you can use anything as a targer I even use a projector to put a life size target on my basement wall. I used it to show my friend why his new Glock was hitting low left it showed a smear instead of a dot as he pressed the trigger. Check out the many ways to use it on u tube
What projector are you using?
0 x

lewmed

Post by lewmed » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:01 pm

A cheap off brand $30 unit I bought on ebay works great.
0 x

free_bawler

Post by free_bawler » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:36 am

lewmed wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:01 pm
A cheap off brand $30 unit I bought on ebay works great.
Do you have a link for this cheap $30 projector. The only projectors I can find on Ebay are $50+. Also, how many lumens does your $30 projector put out?
0 x

dek16001

Post by dek16001 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:30 am

Interesting
0 x