Observations when buying at Academy

Discussion Section for All Off Topics Subjects.
keltex78
Founding Member #: 1616

Observations when buying at Academy

Post by keltex78 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:45 am

I just purchased a new Patriot Brown Sub Elite at Academy yesterday morning, and it was an interesting experience. They had a row of forms from new purchases, and were constantly calling employees to walk gun purchases out to the parking lot.

I struck up a conversation with a couple who were first-time gun buyers. They had no handgun shooting experience, but were purchasing a new handgun each, based only on what Academy had on the shelf. They handled almost every gun on the shelf, made decisions, and changed their minds several times. Ended up walking out with a full-sized Sig P320 for him (for carry) and a Mossberg MC1sc for her.

There's going to be a lot of new buyers out there either:
Getting stuck with something they find they don't like...
or...
Feeling 'safe' because they buy a pistol, load it with FMJ, and never break it in or train with it.

Preface this next statement with the fact that I'm happy to see more citizens armed, and taking personal responsibility, but:
What we don't need now is a flood of justified defensive shootings going wrong when inexperienced shooters haven't properly prepared.
1 x
(*) Buy a couple of boxes of 124 gr. WWB NATO to break in the stiff RSA. Cheap, and shoots great in the Canik! (*)

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Re: Observations when buying at Academy

Post by TL1000RSquid » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:13 pm

Been several months since my last Academy firearm purchase, only form I did then was the digital 4473, might of been a couple pamphlets that got tossed when I got home. They're fortunate if they were able to purchase some FMJ with their 9mm's, the last time I was in Academy lots of people buying guns and they pretty much had no ammo for any of the pistols they were selling except .22lr.

Hopfully the couple you spoke with took/take a decent LTC class and will learn importance of practice and decent ammo. But yeah same thing happens every time theirs some sort of panic lots of purchases by those new to guns, most end up sitting in a drawer or closet i think after the panic subsides.
0 x

keltex78

Post by keltex78 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:34 pm

No FMJ at Academy, but they had a good stock of Sig V-Crown 9mm. I already had a few boxes of that as I'm glad to have it as a standard-pressure 124 gr 9mm jhp for compact carry guns.
0 x
(*) Buy a couple of boxes of 124 gr. WWB NATO to break in the stiff RSA. Cheap, and shoots great in the Canik! (*)

Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Post by Janik » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:37 pm

Yah, I heard first time gun buying is through the roof. It's a double edged sword. Definitely glad to see more people exercising their 2A rights, just hope they get proper training. And, hopefully alot of the people buying for the first time will think about who they vote for this November. I'm a single issue voter, and it's all about gun rights. But people who never cared about their 2A rights probably didn't factor that into their decision. But to me, it all hinges on our right to keep and bear arms. Without it, we lose our 1st Amendment along with others.
1 x

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

Post by Tejas Products » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:09 pm

Posts are all pretty spot on. I’ve got 2 classes I’m teaching next week to new gun owners. I’m also holding a free 2 hour course at my church in a couple of weeks. I’ve already gotten about 10 people showing up and expect a lot more to attend. People are scared and want to be able to protect themselves and families.
1 x
NRA Pistol Instructor / RSO
Manufacturer of firearm accessories

ncjw
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by ncjw » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:17 pm

Yep, our LISRAGS (local indoor shooting range and gun store) has added a lot of new shooter classes so at least some of the new buyers are getting some training.
0 x

marvin02
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by marvin02 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:33 pm

I ordered 4 mags for my TX-22 from Academy online. They shipped them from four different stores. Worked out OK for me as I got them pretty quick, I was surprised they sprung for the extra costs to send 4 packages.
0 x

qballbandit
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by qballbandit » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:59 pm

I just recently received my NRA Basic Instructor Certification, and prior to that RSO Cert. As I form my LLC, get my insurance and other business affairs in order, and continue my training in other disciplines, I am standing in as an apprentice with one of my main instructors in various classes (Basic, Intermediate, In&Out Defense, CCW, etc.). One thing I strongly emphasize in class or when speaking with people at the range is the importance of progressive training.
In Illinois, we apply for a FOID card. Receiving it is a joyous occasion, but doesn't always equate to possessing adequate safety and firearm knowledge, let alone knowing how to shoot a firearm. Register for a beginners class! See where this training takes you. Using the example where once new shooters hone their fundamental shooting skills and gain confidence handling their firearm, they may have interest in personal defense. Next obvious step is to take a CCW class, pass, and get your permit. Hoorah! Does this mean you know the difference between recreational and defensive shooting? That's a big no. The vast majority of instructors teaching CCW classes don't have (or plan) the time available to teach past some basic defensive principles - proper draw stroke, scanning and re-holstering. The meatier and necessary tactical principles and techniques are not in the curriculum. Take a Personal Defense class for carry, or if Home Defense is you concern, get these under you belt.
Progressive training. It's a commitment. What I see as a problem is that a good majority of people don't want to be taught, don't want to be corrected, don't want to commit to the work it takes to become a safe, responsible, proficient firearm owner/shooter.
This is the part of the equation that scares me the most over the last 4 months of "panic buying".
My hope was that I got my certs at a great time - millions of new owners. Of course, millions of new owners doesn't equate to millions of students. Time will tell how many of these new owners seek out training. I am not in it for the money, but for the sheer joy of teaching. So, the more the merrier, as I'll sleep a little better at night knowing that at the very least, they were taught safe firearm handling.

Neil 8-)
0 x
"Train Smart, Train Often, And Train Safe"

keltex78

Post by keltex78 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:06 pm

When I got my CCW (now a LTC in Texas), the class was an all-day affair. We had a range session where we had to fire 50 rounds and meet the accuracy criteria, but the classroom session was all legal related. None of the 'basic defensive principles' you mention. I would have liked some practical training to start with.
0 x