*HELP* - Magnified Shooting Glasses

General Discussion Section for All Other Makes and Models of Handguns and Rifles, including Aftermarket Accessories. Please keep Canik Firearm discussions in the Canik section.
free_bawler

*HELP* - Magnified Shooting Glasses

Post by free_bawler » Tue May 12, 2020 3:46 pm

Guys, I need your help. My whole life I've had perfect vision. Then I hit my mid 40's and found that if I wanted to read ingredients labels I had to get readers. I can still shoot without needing magnified glasses but it just makes that front site much more crisp if I wear my clear, full lens 1.0 Elvex shooting glasses. The problem is, I would prefer to have smoke lenses to protect against the harsh South Texas sun. I've scoured the internet and NOBODY makes 1.0 diopter, full lens (not bifocals), smoke shooting glasses. I found a set of 1.5 but those are just standard smoke shooting glasses with a 1.5 insert. And for me, 1.5 is just too much. Does anyone have any idea why nobody makes these? I'd tend to believe they would sell a ton of them if they offered them. If anyone has seen a pair, send me a link?

P.S. - Before anybody suggests going Carry Optics, I have. My TP9 SFX has a Vortex Venom. But I enjoy shooting all divisions in IDPA so I need to be able to shoot open sights as well.
1 x

Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Re: *HELP* - Magnified Shooting Glasses

Post by Janik » Tue May 12, 2020 5:01 pm

I'm struggling right there with you. I hit mid 40's and can't see crap in front of my face. But, I'm still a huge fan of iron sights, since that's what I grew up with and know. I've started adding red dots to my guns, but still enjoy irons. It sucks. I hope you find what your looking for. I'm using readers for close up stuff, but I'm transitioning to red dots for shooting. I did use irons again today though, and did pretty well. But they are blurry.
0 x

RWIG
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by RWIG » Tue May 12, 2020 5:41 pm

free_bawler wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 3:46 pm
NOBODY makes 1.0 diopter, full lens (not bifocals), smoke shooting glasses.
I found these, but they cost 4 times as much as the clear ones you posted:

I will keep looking!

*Sorry, they are bifocals, I will keep looking.
0 x

RWIG
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by RWIG » Tue May 12, 2020 5:44 pm

These may be to dark:
0 x

RWIG
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by RWIG » Tue May 12, 2020 5:56 pm

I found this place the price is right, but its in Euros:
https://www.voltxsafety.com/constructor-p106.htm

But they have smoke, full lens, 1.0 Dioptre Strength
1 x

free_bawler

Post by free_bawler » Wed May 13, 2020 1:02 am

Wow I tried everything I could think of to find something on Amazon and never found these. I'll place an order and give feedback here in case anyone is interested. Thanks!
1 x

zeda3000

Post by zeda3000 » Wed May 13, 2020 1:29 am

Almost 3 years i am using 0.5 Reading glass cause 40+ age. My correct number 1.0 normally but Doctor prefer give lower number to effort my eyes more. I start with 1.0 and he drops after one year 0.5. Now i discuss with him about shooting and focusing. He said reading glass focus is untill 20-25 cm. If you looking in range 10 mt trought by your red dot, so dont use any glass. Keep it like that. Reading glass not give clear pictures in long distance. Please consider it, eyes is very lasy and you have effort them keep your number low.
0 x

free_bawler

Post by free_bawler » Wed May 13, 2020 9:35 am

@zeda3000 thanks for the recommendation. I think what is affecting me is called Presbyopia. Based on the research I've done on the topic (and I have done lots) this is a condition caused by the thickening and loss of flexibility of the lens inside the eye. Using the correct lenses to adjust for this loss in flexibility doesn't have any affect on whether or not this condition worsens. It's an age-related condition. At least that's what I've determined from my research. But it does make sense that exercising the muscles in the eye should help with preventing age-related vision problems.
0 x

free_bawler

Post by free_bawler » Wed May 13, 2020 10:14 am

RWIG wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 5:56 pm
I found this place the price is right, but its in Euros:
https://www.voltxsafety.com/constructor-p106.htm

But they have smoke, full lens, 1.0 Dioptre Strength
@RWIG I went to this site but I have to spend 40 pounds to purchase from this site. That's 5 pair of glasses + another $10 shipping and I'm not spending $60 on these until I've exhausted all other options. But thanks for showing me this site. I'll bookmark it for sure. :-D :-D
0 x

free_bawler

Post by free_bawler » Wed May 13, 2020 10:19 am

Thanks @RWIG for the recommendations. Based on those, I purchased two different pair from Amazon today totaling around $20. I'll let everyone know if they work or if they're junk (they have mixed reviews).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084Z ... UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B0 ... UTF8&psc=1
1 x

Jester560
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jester560 » Wed May 13, 2020 10:45 am

_@free_bawler does the readers effect the dot on your Venom? When I use my glasses, I get a blurry, oversized dot in my Venom. My holosun is not affected.
0 x
"When you come to the fork in the road, take it." -Yogi Berra

free_bawler

Post by free_bawler » Wed May 13, 2020 12:11 pm

I wear standard safety glasses or sunglasses when shooting my optic. No issues there.
1 x

free_bawler

Post by free_bawler » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:10 am

@RWIG @Janik @Jester560 @zeda3000 Sorry I took so long getting back to you guys on this topic. Both pairs of glasses came in several weeks ago and I've had the opportunity to try them both during IDPA matches. Although they don't advertise as shooting glasses or safety glasses, these glasses turned out to work really well for what I was looking for. They fit well, look decent, and the magnification is consistent across the entire lens. These glasses, unfortunately, felt cheap, flimsy, and the magnification wasn't consistent along the lenses. So I dumped those and have been running my Elvex 1.0 clear glasses on cloudy days and the proSport FULL LENS READING Sunglasses Sun Readers for my matches on sunny days since they came in and I've been quite happy with them.
2 x

RWIG
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by RWIG » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:08 pm

U am glad to hear you got some glasses you like. I also purchased some bi-focaled safety glasses with the magnification on the lower inner corners. I would have never know to look for such a thing without thus thread

Thanks!
0 x

oldfrank

Post by oldfrank » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:26 pm

https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/optx-2 ... al-lenses/

I have been using these for about five years and have a dozen or so friends who use them now too.
A drop of water on the lens of your regular or shooting glasses and this lens will stick on until you pull it off. I wear it on my dominant eye lens.
They last forever and I peel it off once ot twice a year and wash everything and then back on.
It also works well for people like me who wear progressive lens and it wil stop you from tilting your head way back trying to see the sights through your lower reading part.
0 x

BentAero

Post by BentAero » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:42 pm

I went to an optometrist who is an active sport shooter, so he "gets it". He set me up with single vision lenses, but each side is different; the right lens is front sight distance, the left lens is far distance.

They work phenomenally well for me. He recommended Oakley lenses due to their clarity and I'm very glad i went with them. I've worn glasses more then 30 years and have had lenses from virtually every big company, and none of them compare to the purity of the Oakley lens.

Lenses and Quarter Jacket Oakley frame came to $330, and are still the best shooting accessory I've bought yet.
0 x