Does anyone have a sturdy safe?

Discussion Section for All Off Topics Subjects.
Smitty504

Does anyone have a sturdy safe?

Post by Smitty504 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:08 pm

I’ve wanted a new gun safe for years now, I just can’t stop buying guns and ammo and accessories or updating the house to save money for a decent safe. I use the word safe loosely with a lot of them out there. I think I’ve narrowed the top of my wishlist to a sturdy safe. It’s a no thrills, thick steel safe. There are tons of options to upgrade the safes depending on how deep your pockets are. Also the option to have them fire lined or non fire lined. Does anyone on here have one? What’s your honest review of them?
0 x

deserttrans
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Does anyone have a sturdy safe?

Post by deserttrans » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:27 pm

My suggestion is get bigger than what you think you will need. Lots of choices out there. The heavier the safe and better the fire ratings, that will cost you more. Chances are other items will take some space too (document etc). Mine was out of room the first 6 months, now have 2 safes. Long rifles and shotguns take up space quickly. If they advertise 24 long gun safe, plan on fitting 16 in there without bumping and grinding against each other.
2 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:42 pm

Read through this site. They say the fire protection numbers are way overrated.

Insure your firearms and get a safe that will keep them secure. Just my $0.05's worth.

https://www.secureitgunstorage.com/
1 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage

Badgerboy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 999

Post by Badgerboy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:50 pm

Agreed...buy bigger than you need today...you will need it tomorrow. I like my Stack-On safes...one is a heavy Cadillac, the others are cheaper, lighter Chevys. I had a buddy actually build an integral "safe room" in his basement. 10X12' room lined with shelves and racks for his guns, with a heavy, locked door. Now that is my kind of Safe Space...
1 x
If Progress means 'to move forward'...what does Congress mean?

Totenkopfelite
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Totenkopfelite » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:52 pm

In my home we have a 1100 lb, MECHANICAL lock, 3/8 inch thick plate steel door, 9 Gauge body safe, best part , bolted to the floor, AND a room enclosure built around it, looks like a closet, with ZERO access to sides, back, top or bottom.

The reason for the safe being enclosed in a "room", is that nearly all safes are vulnerable to breach via the top, bottom and sides, with nothing more then a grinder with a cutoff wheel....the door frame to the room touches the side edge of the safes front..

Not to mention home alarm system, as far as what's inside, when home, I'm always armed and the mechanical lock is one number from open, chose the wrong one, and you are shit out of luck...you would need to re-enter all 3 numbers to open

And yes the number one thing to do when buying a safe is too pick the biggest one that will fit your needs and buy the next biggest one, you WILL run out of room...
0 x
Strength, Determination, Merciless, Forever

----------- Proud Boys -----------

deserttrans
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by deserttrans » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:54 pm

I told the wife the walk in closet could be lined and a safe door installed. I LOST!!!
0 x

Jester560
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jester560 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:54 pm

I have a gun policy added onto my homeowner's policy. I leave mine unlocked now. If stolen or lost in a fire, each is insured for twice its value. Rider policy is less than $100 per year.
0 x
"When you come to the fork in the road, take it." -Yogi Berra

Smitty504

Post by Smitty504 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:02 pm

When I say sturdy safe I mean the company “sturdy safe” out of California. Oh I definitely will get bigger than I need. Mine is extremely too small. Ammo is in another smaller safe. Sturdy safes have a 4g body and 3/8” steel door with a 8x12” stainless steel plate over the relocker with their most popular package. You can even get them beefed way up from there. Most safes from big box places a grinder can get through in just a few minutes. Another thing to consider is how close you are to a fire department or your cities fire response rate ( but all that could change at anytime in my opinion ) so I would opt for their fire lined option
0 x

Brindle Lake Dog

Post by Brindle Lake Dog » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:05 pm

Check out this video on YouTube. It's very informative.

https://youtu.be/ltK-bDbADa8
0 x

Totenkopfelite
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Totenkopfelite » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:06 pm

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:42 pm
Read through this site. They say the fire protection numbers are way overrated.

Insure your firearms and get a safe that will keep them secure. Just my $0.05's worth.

https://www.secureitgunstorage.com/
The number one thing you need more then a fire rating, is an alarm system.

The less time a shitbag has with your safe the better...

We have our entire collection insured, along with our huge amount of ammo we own..

We go through Collectibles Insurance Services..

As to Secureit, I would never buy their products , American Security safes , I highly recommend, yes pricy, but worth it..
0 x

Smitty504

Post by Smitty504 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:15 pm

I don’t know much about secureit but why would you never buy their products?
0 x

deserttrans
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by deserttrans » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:50 pm

++1 for Collectible's Ins. Have been them for years.
0 x

Totenkopfelite
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

ARe: Does anyone have a sturdy safe?

Post by Totenkopfelite » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:50 pm

Smitty504 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:15 pm
I don’t know much about secureit but why would you never buy their products?
Prior to buying our safe, I did a vast amount of research, they have nothing of serious sized safes, mostly storage "boxes", only thing I might buy from them are their wall units for mounting weapons, that's it..

But thats me, maybe they will fit your needs, didn't fit mine, I suggest you check out their site, then check out a gun safe manufacturer site..
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:51 pm

+2 on Collectable Insurance
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage

Totenkopfelite
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Totenkopfelite » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:54 pm

deserttrans wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:50 pm
++1 for Collectible's Ins. Have been them for years.
And it costs pennies a year, we insured in excess of 40,000 in weapons and ammo.....and the cost is truly unbelievable. .

I highly recommend them...
0 x

Smitty504

Post by Smitty504 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:00 pm

I’ll have to check with my insurance company again...State Farm. If they don’t cover me, what’s a good company to look into. I don’t have any collectible type firearms but would hate to have to rebuy everything in case if fire or break in.
0 x

Jester560
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jester560 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:01 pm

Smitty504 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:00 pm
I’ll have to check with my insurance company again...State Farm. If they don’t cover me, what’s a good company to look into. I don’t have any collectible type firearms but would hate to have to rebuy everything in case if fire or break in.
State Farm is who I have my rider policy with.
1 x
"When you come to the fork in the road, take it." -Yogi Berra

qballbandit
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by qballbandit » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:31 pm

As well as a whole-house alarm system - when we put our safe in our bedroom closet, we reinforced the knob and plate assembly - 3 1/2 in screws. Same on the bedroom door. We lock both doors when leaving the house.
With an alarm going off and having to bust through 2 doors to even begin messing with the safe - which is also anchored to the floor and wall, chances are slim-to-none they'd want to hang around that long.

Neil 8-)
0 x
"Train Smart, Train Often, And Train Safe"

zeda3000

Post by zeda3000 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:21 am

I dont have any gun safe in my houses (Summer and Winter) And i am never put the all guns in same area. My all guns separated everywhere in house in diffrent places. The main reason is Home defense. You cant know when and where you need it gun at your home. Secondry in any case of if some one break the home, he directly focus to gun safe. Trust me , I saw in my eyes , theiff open very thick steel safe in 15 min and they do that in office at night. They stole the all money in 20 min. But in my all houses i have fully home security system. I am just put all ammo in steel case. This is any case of fire issue. I am dont want to some firefighter get hurt cause of hot ammo fire.
0 x

Smitty504

Post by Smitty504 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:29 am

zeda3000 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:21 am
I dont have any gun safe in my houses (Summer and Winter) And i am never put the all guns in same area. My all guns separated everywhere in house in diffrent places. The main reason is Home defense. You cant know when and where you need it gun at your home. Secondry in any case of if some one break the home, he directly focus to gun safe. Trust me , I saw in my eyes , theiff open very thick steel safe in 15 min and they do that in office at night. They stole the all money in 20 min. But in my all houses i have fully home security system. I am just put all ammo in steel case. This is any case of fire issue. I am dont want to some firefighter get hurt cause of hot ammo fire.

I have two young kids. I see your logic but that’s not going to happen in my house with no guns locked up. They are 2/5 years old and both boys, they are curious
0 x