Handgun "trigger reach" Canik vs Taurus

General Discussion Section for All Other Makes and Models of Handguns and Rifles, including Aftermarket Accessories. Please keep Canik Firearm discussions in the Canik section.
keltex78
Founding Member #: 1616

Handgun "trigger reach" Canik vs Taurus

Post by keltex78 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:10 pm

Ramblings on a slow work-from-home day:

This concept of what appears to be called "trigger reach" isn't something I've really give much thought to until now.

If that's not the correct wording, someone let me know. I'm talking about the distance from the trigger, to the closest point on the backstrap, where the webbing between the thumb and fingers rides. A concept similar to LOP on a long arm.

The fit on my Canik is great. It is comfortable in my hand, points naturally, and I'm able to shoot it fairly accurately.

Over time, I've noticed that the fit on my Taurus G2C isn't as accommodating. Although it is comfortable to hold, I started noticing that it doesn't shoot as naturally as the Canik, and I found that I pull an unusual number of shots low.

With this in mind, I examined my grip and noticed that it is more awkward to get proper trigger finger placement. On the Taurus, my trigger finger wants to ride between the first and second joints of my index finger. A proper fingertip trigger pull is more difficult on this pistol.

Out of curiosity, I used a caliper to measure this distance, comparing the Canik to the Taurus. I measured with the trigger held past the take-up, just at the break point. I found that the Canik length was 66mm vs 57mm on the Taurus. This 9mm difference is enough to affect my grip, and the overall shootability of the pistol.

This will definitely be a factor I consider in future purchases, and shows why a try-before-you-buy approach is a good idea when buying firearms. It's also another reason my I'm more drawn to the Sub-Elite as a concealable double-stack handgun. As the TP9 series is based on the same design, I know the Sub Elite would have similar handling to the larger pistol I already shoot well.
1 x
(*) Buy a couple of boxes of 124 gr. WWB NATO to break in the stiff RSA. Cheap, and shoots great in the Canik! (*)

deserttrans
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Handgun "trigger reach" Canik vs Taurus

Post by deserttrans » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:24 pm

You make a good point. Most do not take this into consideration on handguns. It has been done for years on long arms, called length of pull. Average on most is 14 inch's, many adjust from 12 1/2 to 15 1/2 on shot guns and rifles. Finger and web of hand is very important on the hand gun too.
0 x

Jester560
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jester560 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:23 pm

I have never thought about such a measurement on a handgun. With less points of contact, this measurement may be more important than it is on long guns.
I am going to go measure all of my handguns now.
0 x
"When you come to the fork in the road, take it." -Yogi Berra

keltex78
Founding Member #: 1616

Post by keltex78 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:47 pm

Hoping to remediate this issue:

I discovered that the Hogue Beavertail grip sleeve for the Shield 45 is the same model recommended for the G2C. Realizing I had the same sleeve in my cabinet, I installed that on my G2C. Unfortunately, the beavertail grip only adds about 3mm to the overall reach. It does make a difference in the overall feel of the pistol. I'm not a fan of the added width from the palm swells, (I hate adding girth to a concealed carry pistol) but I am looking forward to shooting in this configuration to assess the difference the sleeve makes.

Unfortunately, the sleeve is very tight, and I suspect removing it would result in the sleeve tearing. The installation involved heating the sleeve in boiling water, lubing the pistol grip liberally with Windex, and installing very quickly before the sleeve cooled.

0 x
(*) Buy a couple of boxes of 124 gr. WWB NATO to break in the stiff RSA. Cheap, and shoots great in the Canik! (*)

qballbandit
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by qballbandit » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:09 pm

Trigger reach is the correct term, and is a very important factor in purchasing a handgun. The proper reach should allow the trigger finger to engage the trigger somewhere from the middle of the pad of the fingertip to the first joint.
As well, with your thumb you should be able to reach and manipulate other features/controls of the gun without breaking your grip.

When I teach people how to hold a semi-auto handgun, I stress these two points (along with palm swell, and others), and liken the reach to fitting your hand to a bowling ball. The span should not be too wide, or you will not have proper grip and control of the ball - weak. Too short, and and your palm raises away from the curve of the ball when your hand scrunches with an improper short grip. Neither leads to good skills.

Neil 8-)
1 x
"Train Smart, Train Often, And Train Safe"

Lgaam
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 080

Post by Lgaam » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:26 pm

The place where I've noticed trigger reach is on AR rifles. The A2 grip is way too shallow. B5 Systems gets the trigger to the right spot. BCM Gunfighter Mod 3 is a little shorter a but has the lip to cover the gap to the trigger guard. Alas, it's not a measurement anyone provides, at least not that I've found.
0 x

SSGNDoc
Founding Member #: 004

Post by SSGNDoc » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:07 pm

I definitely notice trigger reach as an important factor, since I prefer DA/SA triggers for carry. So, each pistol,I carry will have a longer first trigger pull with the trigger resting further forward on that first shot.

I bought short reach triggers for my Sigs and also installed E2 grips on them to reduce trigger reach.
0 x