Range Day 03-07-20 TP9DA's and some rifles

Canik Firearm Reviews and Range Reports. Share your Canik experiences with other members.
Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Range Day 03-07-20 TP9DA's and some rifles

Post by Janik » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:23 am

I'm one of those people who likes to get up before the butt crack of dawn and hit the range. I like to be all set up when the sun comes up and start putting some rounds down range. Especially now that the weather is getting nice, I like to get in and out before the crowds show up. Thankfully the gun range I use is out in the country so there's no issues shooting once the sun has risen.

Anyway, nothing really new to report. Today I decided to leave most of the handguns at home and just take my two TP9DA's along with my vintage Winchester 94 model 30-30 that was manufactured in the 1940's. It's such a fun rifle to shoot and it makes for a great truck (Jeep) gun when I head North in the summers and hit the trails. As usual, the TP9DA's performed as expected. Both DA's have night sights, and both are running the Galloway Precision reduced power spring kit. The burnt bronze also has a Galloway Precision 22# stainless steel guide rod. Can't say I really notice a difference over the stock RSA. But, I got it to try out and have had it a few months now. No issues to complain about. The other DA model I keep the stock RSA in for comparison. I grew up shooting DA/SA handguns, and am still a huge fan of them. I know most people prefer a single action striker these days, which I have several. But when it comes to EDC, it's either my Walther P99c or a Canik TP9V2 or DA. The size just fits my hand really well, and it's a damn accurate firearm. I have countless thousands of rounds through my V2's and DA's, and no issues to report. I shoot a lot of 124gr NATO along with a ton of Wolf steel cased ammo. Never an issue and they eat anything I feed them.

Also, since I have multiples of guns I like, such as the V2, DA, Elite, etc., I've also been purposely not cleaning some of my "range only" guns. In the burnt bronze DA pictured I have north of 2,000 rounds now of dirty cheap ammo, and it still keeps chugging along. Now of course, any gun I carry or use for home defense gets cleaned after each range trip, but I want to push the limits and see how dirty I can get this thing before failure. I know, blah blah blah, it's a stupid thing to do. At least, that's the feedback you usually get from all the internet experts on Fakebook and places like that. But surely the members of this forum understand the purpose of my experiment. Today is the day though that I'm probably going to clean them. After the cleaning today, I'm going to feed one of my DA's a steady diet of nothing but steel cased. I figure I'll go at least 5,000 rounds. Since we always hear complaints about steel cased ammo being rough on guns, I want to see if I experience any failures. I've shot countless thousands rounds of steel cased ammo and have not experience a parts breakage or jam as some have noted. Anyway, enough about all that.

Other than that, I also took a couple of my AR's to blow the cobwebs out of them. I also wanted to run a couple mags of my home defense ammo through both of them. Right now I'm using Federal Fusion 62gr, and Speer Gold Dot 64gr. Both are excellent rounds and I find them to be very accurate in my AR's.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend. Happy shooting!
IMG_3519s.jpg
IMG_3519s.jpg (139.64 KiB) Viewed 1600 times
IMG_3514s.jpg
IMG_3514s.jpg (169.35 KiB) Viewed 1600 times
3 x

higgybaby
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 015

Re: Range Day 03-07-20 TP9DA's and some rifles

Post by higgybaby » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:36 pm

That's a fancy looking 94 there. I had one years ago- but we had a fire and all went up in flames. I finally bought a Henry 22 a few years back, only shot it a few times.
I need to go to the range myself.....

Edit: I started carry hing one on my DA's in a kydex IWB a few days back. Weather still cool enough that I can cover it with a light jacket. It is doable.
But summer is drawing neigh....that will be Bersa time.
1 x

Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Post by Janik » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:04 pm

higgybaby wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:36 pm
that will be Bersa time.
Which Bersa? I'm looking at the TPR9c for summer carry. But may have to go slimmer and get a .380.
0 x

higgybaby
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 015

Post by higgybaby » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:25 pm

I carry the Thunder Plus 380 a double stack 15 rounder, and the Thunder 380 CC which is single stack and 8 rounds.

I have the Thunder 9 HC (high capacity) which is about the size of the Canik DA, SF, SA. The TPR9C is the newer model but it will be big-even though its is a Compact. They are good shooting guns though.
1 x

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:21 pm

1st image is purrty.
0 x
The Federal reserve is the bullet that kills liberty.