TP9 Elite SC Mag Questions

Focused Discussions for all Canik Firearms. (TP Series, P Series, Shark, Stingray & MKEK)
JohnWick

TP9 Elite SC Mag Questions

Post by JohnWick » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:46 pm

Hey guys,

New to the forum, but I'm looking to pick up a TP9 Elite SC soon. The only thing is I can't seem to find any extra 15-round magazines for it with the rubber sleeve/spacer on the bottom (see image). Any ideas where to find them? Or, can I just pick up a standard 15-round mag and buy the sleeve separately somewhere? (not finding anything so far...)

Not looking to do the extra capacity extension, just looking for that spacer to make it flush (or just buy the magazine w/ the spacer already on it).

Anyway, thanks for your help :)

1 x

colonel00
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: TP9 Elite SC Mag Questions

Post by colonel00 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:19 pm

SC mags aren't available yet as far as I know. Yes, you can get the sleeves to make 15 round mags work better. Try searching the forum for the keyword "sleeve" or "spacer" and you should find some fairly recent posts from folks.
1 x

JohnWick

Post by JohnWick » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:23 pm

Thanks, will do!
1 x

Tactv93
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Tactv93 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:35 pm

I make a base for the SC. Both 15 & 18rd mags. Not trying to snipe your post. If you'd be interested you can message me. Its $5ea and $4 shipping.

https://ibb.co/9TxsgB6
1 x
"Come and get 'em"

Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Post by Janik » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:40 pm

Tactv93 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:35 pm
I make a base for the SC. Both 15 & 18rd mags. Not trying to snipe your post. If you'd be interested you can message me. Its $5ea and $4 shipping.

https://ibb.co/9TxsgB6
Bummer the 12 round mags aren't available to put these on. Hoping after Shot Show more mags and accessories become available.
0 x

Tactv93
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Tactv93 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:42 pm

Yeah you'd think canik would try to take advantage of after sale support and offer mags for the SC.
2 x
"Come and get 'em"

Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Post by Janik » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:51 pm

Tactv93 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:42 pm
Yeah you'd think canik would try to take advantage of after sale support and offer mags for the SC.
No kidding. Still hard to find the +3's for the Elite Combat. I know there's import restrictions and all that, but they could do a better job at getting the aftermarket parts available.
1 x

qballbandit
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by qballbandit » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:40 pm

Hello folks, I have a question that I hope I can put into proper context.
The whole craze with buying SC guns, then adding extra capacity mags (or mods to the stock mags to handle more rounds) baffles me.
If these are carry guns, are you not defeating the purpose of it's designed size? Do people feel that 12 rounds, for instance, isn't enough in a defensive shooting - with a spare mag on your belt if you were to need another 12?
The last ting I want to do is make my purpose built and purchased carry guns larger.

If not carrying, and just using for range toys or competition - I get it.

This is not a confrontational query, just need my curiosity quenched.

Best wishes,

Neil 8-)
1 x
"Train Smart, Train Often, And Train Safe"

JohnWick

Post by JohnWick » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:49 pm

Basically, I'm totally comfortable carrying a full size sidearm & often do - I'm a big dude. I just like having the option to carry a 12 & 15 or two 15's (nice for the range too). A literal inch for 3 more rounds? Yes please. That inch doesn't make a difference to me carry-wise. Frankly I always wonder why so many dudes want a micro pistol that holds 5 rounds and fits in their sock.

And yes, 12 rounds in 99% of any defensive situation would be more than enough. But that 1% still happens now and then (kinda like the idea that most self defensive gun fights are within 20 feet or so, but you still practice shooting longer distances right?).

OK all kidding aside, different strokes for different folks.
0 x

qballbandit
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by qballbandit » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:03 pm

I get it. I can carry my Compact (12rds), my Elite (15rds), which may be considered a large mid-size, or a small full-size depending on what gospel you choose to follow, and my DA (18rds) which by all means can be called full size - based on my clothing.
The "micro" stuff is not on my radar either. I get the BUG concept, but my large hands and grip feel very clumsy the smaller the gun gets.
Yep, the 3x3x3 rule seems to be pretty consistent with FBI stats; 3 rounds/3 feet/3 seconds....an average, so take that for what it's worth.

Neil 8-)
1 x
"Train Smart, Train Often, And Train Safe"

JohnWick

Post by JohnWick » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:07 pm

qballbandit wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:03 pm
I get it. I can carry my Compact (12rds), my Elite (15rds), which may be considered a large mid-size, or a small full-size depending on what gospel you choose to follow, and my DA (18rds) which by all means can be called full size - based on my clothing.
The "micro" stuff is not on my radar either. I get the BUG concept, but my large hands and grip feel very clumsy the smaller the gun gets.
Yep, the 3x3x3 rule seems to be pretty consistent with FBI stats; 3 rounds/3 feet/3 seconds....an average, so take that for what it's worth.

Neil 8-)
Well said 😁
0 x

97octane

Post by 97octane » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:01 pm

Something people don’t seem to think about when it comes to how many rounds to carry on you is the prevailing use of body armor, especially in multiple active shooter events in recent history. What happens when you dump a mag “center mass” and realize nothing has changed cause dude is wearing rifle plates under his jacket? Reload and go for the hips and head. That’s one of the reasons I carry a spare magazine, even if I carried an SC with the twelve round mag which would most likely be enough, having backup mags or just being able to up the capacity of your pistol based on the situation you’re in is just handy. For reference I AIWB a fill size a SA with a 20 rounder as a spare but I would feel comfortable keeping the spare and moving to the SC. Also, in regards to “averages” I came extremely close to using my SA in self defense when someone attacked me with a three foot bar, and was luckily able to stop and disengage due to my 500 lumen Streamlight 2L in his face (carry a goddamn flashlight people) and if I would have used my pistol, it wouldn’t have fit a single “average” stated above. I mean, that’s a classic example of normalcy bias. Last week in Texas that shooting sure wasn’t “average” but it happened none the less. There are shootings stopped with one round or twenty averages are useless in this discussion. Go look at Active Self Protection on Youtube for a few hours it’s rarely “average.” Just my 2cents.
1 x

JohnWick

Post by JohnWick » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:06 pm

97octane wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:01 pm
Something people don’t seem to think about when it comes to how many rounds to carry on you is the prevailing use of body armor, especially in multiple active shooter events in recent history. What happens when you dump a mag “center mass” and realize nothing has changed cause dude is wearing rifle plates under his jacket? Reload and go for the hips and head. That’s one of the reasons I carry a spare magazine, even if I carried an SC with the twelve round mag which would most likely be enough, having backup mags or just being able to up the capacity of your pistol based on the situation you’re in is just handy. For reference I AIWB a fill size a SA with a 20 rounder as a spare but I would feel comfortable keeping the spare and moving to the SC. Just my 2cents.
Excellent point. I just saw a video where a guy wielding a knife took about 7 shots of 9mm, and got back up. Ended up getting to one cop before the other fired a few more rounds to neutralize him. You just never know how many you'll need, and that's when you actually hit the guy (while factoring in missing a few due to stress/duress).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAMBdfnNvCU
0 x

HarlemKnight

Post by HarlemKnight » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:45 am

qballbandit wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:40 pm
The whole craze with buying SC guns, then adding extra capacity mags (or mods to the stock mags to handle more rounds) baffles me.
The last ting I want to do is make my purpose built and purchased carry guns larger. ....
I suspect it's mostly done for fun, cosmetics, and the feeling of having a complete set up.

I have the SC and intend to only carry it with the 12 rd mag. However, I do want a sleeve to put on my 18 rd mag to make it look better when used with the SC.

On Glocks, the sleeve was often necessary to prevent malfunctions that may occur from gripping the magazine while using the magazine. Perhaps that is the case for Caniks too.
1 x
TP9SA w/TLR8 ()

JohnWick

Post by JohnWick » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:56 am

HarlemKnight wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:45 am
qballbandit wrote:
The last ting I want to do is make my purpose built and purchased carry guns larger. ....
I suspect it's mostly done for fun, cosmetics, and the feeling of having a complete set up.

I have the SC and intend to only carry it with the 12 rd mag. However, I do want a sleeve to put on my 18 rd mag to make it look better when used with the SC.

On Glocks, the sleeve was often necessary to prevent malfunctions that may occur from gripping the magazine while using the magazine. Perhaps that is the case for Caniks too.
It also keeps you from "over-slamming" home the mag, which can damage the gun.
0 x

JohnWick

Post by JohnWick » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:09 pm

Just heard back from Canik on this.

"We are working on getting the approval to get them brought in." - Canik (Century Arms) rep

That's for extra 12 & 15 round mags for the SC. So, hopefully soon.
1 x

Tactv93
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Tactv93 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:10 am

HarlemKnight wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:45 am
qballbandit wrote:

Tada!!!
Image Image Image
0 x
"Come and get 'em"