My First SFx Build

Modifications, Tutorials, Upgrades and Aftermarket Product Reviews.
GlennSFX
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 011

Re: My First SFx Build

Post by GlennSFX » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:16 am

runeight wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:54 pm
last count have six Supers.
:o ...DAMN that's a lot of fire power!!! :lol:

With 8 you mine as well add one of these to the family...
https://stiguns.com/product-lineup/dvc-o/

Thing shot as flat as a pancake!!! First time I had seen one in person. It was pretty cool!
0 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:22 am

GlennSFX wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:48 pm
Shot my first USPSA match today with the Boston Urban Action Shooters. Match was indoors and limited to 40 shooters. Got there early and helped setup. As always, I met a nice bunch of guys. A lot different than shooting IDPA. A lot more moving around and you don't have to worry about cover of engage targets in tactical priority.
Very cool. So yours and the Lt's videos are extremely good at giving one the sense of what a local match looks like. The high view count ones on Youtube usually show Jerry M or some other machine gun fast shooter dropping targets like crazy. These are much more realistic.

That being said, it also shows that it is definitely a game. There are a crap ton of details to remember and it all comes down to points. Obviously, the more you shoot, the better that you get at remembering the stages (even if they change, the process of remembering stages gets better).

Even if it is a game, as Rob Leatham said, "Yes, I play a game. But you probably wouldn't want to get into a shootout with me".

So if it is a game, why wouldn't you want to compete in CO all of the time? Are the CO scores that much higher that you wouldn't place as high? I would think that the variance between scores would be closer. Interesting statistical opportunities there.

Do any of the various games allow you to actually draw from a concealed IWB holster?
0 x

runeight
Founding Member #: 198

Post by runeight » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:18 am

GlennSFX wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:16 am
runeight wrote:

Thing shot as flat as a pancake!!! First time I had seen one in person. It was pretty cool!
Correction. Five 38 Supers.

Still have a few on the want list. The Sig (out of production), Dan Wesson and Colt. Colt no big deal unless I can find an older one that’s not through the roof. Actually the Sig model is through the roof also.

The Taurus models have been increasing in value. Found one never fired, NIB. Took for ever to clean it. Out of production for a long time. Very tight fit, super trigger. Taurus can build a sweet 1911 if they want to.

The Kimber Eclispe still in production. The Stainless Pro HD is not. (2016) Searched 10 months and found one NIB. Decided to leave the tags on both. Queens.

Have to have a “bling, bling” model for those night on the town occasions. ;-)

The fifth one is in the LGS getting Wilson Combat upgrades.
1 x
We are in a civil war..
..we just haven’t brought out the guns.

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:21 am

ncjw wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:22 am
GlennSFX wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:48 pm
Shot my first USPSA match today with the Boston Urban Action Shooters. Match was indoors and limited to 40 shooters. Got there early and helped setup. As always, I met a nice bunch of guys. A lot different than shooting IDPA. A lot more moving around and you don't have to worry about cover of engage targets in tactical priority.
Very cool. So yours and the Lt's videos are extremely good at giving one the sense of what a local match looks like. The high view count ones on Youtube usually show Jerry M or some other machine gun fast shooter dropping targets like crazy. These are much more realistic.

That being said, it also shows that it is definitely a game. There are a crap ton of details to remember and it all comes down to points. Obviously, the more you shoot, the better that you get at remembering the stages (even if they change, the process of remembering stages gets better).

Even if it is a game, as Rob Leatham said, "Yes, I play a game. But you probably wouldn't want to get into a shootout with me".

So if it is a game, why wouldn't you want to compete in CO all of the time? Are the CO scores that much higher that you wouldn't place as high? I would think that the variance between scores would be closer. Interesting statistical opportunities there.

Do any of the various games allow you to actually draw from a concealed IWB holster?
YES...it's definitely a game. The thing is, from what I was told, you'll never find two stages a like, other than Classifiers. They might be similiar but different. That indoor match was probably tougher than an outdoor from the perspective of limited space. The targets were pretty densely packed. That's why I missed one target. If I had positioned myself slightly more to my right, it would have been easier to see in my peripheral vision behind the out cropping wall. I also had a slide lock which probably had me focused on that and not on the target. If God was nice enough to give you a "photographic memory", that would certainly make stage planning a whole lot easier!!! ...Unfortunately I must have been at the end of the line when they were passed out! :lol:

Experience and watching others run the stage definitely helps. Unfortunately I was the second shooter on the first stage so I didn't have that benefit. :sad:

Not sure why you asked about not competing in CO all the time. For me, the reason I went to an optic, and why I bought the SFX was to be able to focus on the target and not have to focus on a clear front sight. The "Clear" thing is tougher once the reading glasses are needed. I like using a dot so much I have one on my EDC. As far as placing higher, if I was my son's age (26), and really saw myself moving up the ladder, then it's really just a matter of putting in the time and training. He started shooting USPSA around the same time I started shooting IDPA last March and is competing in CO. In his match this past weekend, he placed 17th out of 71 overall. He's actually a really good shooter and moves through the stages really well. You know... it's the "young eyes" and 'body" thing!!! A few of the guys he's become friendly with in his club have commented on how he's progressed pretty quickly. Especially when he's already beaten them a couple times. After a couple more classifiers he'll be a solid B. He's right on the threshold now.

If you want to draw from a concealed holster, you can do that in IDPA. It's claim to fame is it's supposed to represent more of a "real life" threat shooting environment. You have to wear a "cover garment" which covers your gun/holster and mags. You have to be aware of your "cover" and not expose yourself to a threat. When shooting from cover, you have to address the targets appropriately. So if I was shooting to my right, I would have to "slice the pie" and shoot the targets from right to left, independent of their tactical priority based on distance. As I was to move around the wall, I would be seen by the threat furthest to my right first, that's why he has to be taken out first. Just the opposite goes for shooting on the left side of a wall. Targets would be engaged from left to right.

This is stuff you don't have to deal with when shooting USPSA. There are a lot of others things as well, which USPSA guys think are stupid...my son being one of them. :lol:
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:30 am

runeight wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:18 am
GlennSFX wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:16 am
runeight wrote:

Correction. Five 38 Supers.

Still have a few on the want list. The Sig (out of production), Dan Wesson and Colt. Colt no big deal unless I can find an older one that’s not through the roof. Actually the Sig model is through the roof also.

The Taurus models have been increasing in value. Found one never fired, NIB. Took for ever to clean it. Out of production for a long time. Very tight fit, super trigger. Taurus can build a sweet 1911 if they want to.

The Kimber Eclispe still in production. The Stainless Pro HD is not. (2016) Searched 10 months and found one NIB. Decided to leave the tags on both. Queens.

Have to have a “bling, bling” model for those night on the town occasions. ;-)

The fifth one is in the LGS getting Wilson Combat upgrades.
DAMN...my brother would be drooling over those!!!
He just started getting into guns, recently got his conceal carry in NC. He's an "old school" kinda guy and loves the 1911s.

However...his first gun is a SFX!!! :lol:
He was looking at Dan Wessons, Les Bear, Wilsons...I finally convinced him to spend $500 instead of $3K. He also had an issue making a decision!!!!! He had a couple pistol purchase permits that are good for 5 years EXPIRE because he couldn't make up his mind! i thought my sister-in-law was going to kill him!
0 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:02 am

GlennSFX wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:21 am
Not sure why you asked about not competing in CO all the time.
I think that we are on the same page. If you don't have to run concealed, then the size of the gun with the CO isn't as big of an issue and in my old age I am shooting at least twice as well with the RMR. However, if a lot of people are shooting CO, then their scores will also be higher and it may be harder to win.
0 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:08 am

GlennSFX wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:30 am
He had a couple pistol purchase permits that are good for 5 years EXPIRE because he couldn't make up his mind! i thought my sister-in-law was going to kill him!
Yes, the permits suck.

For those outside of NC, without a CCW, you need to apply for a permit to purchase a handgun from your local sheriff. You get fingerprinted and it can take up to 30 days (in real life, in a major county it WILL take 30 days, you might get lucky in a smaller county if you know the sheriff). You need a permit for each gun, so if you are going through the process, you might as well go for the max of five at any one time. They are good for 5 years.

Did it once, then got the CCW which eliminates the need for the permits. The CCW needs to be renewed every five years and they purposely do not remind you. If you don't remember to renew five years later and it expires, you have to go through the entire process again. And NC is considered to be one of the "gun friendly" states...
1 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:34 am

ncjw wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:02 am
GlennSFX wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:21 am
Not sure why you asked about not competing in CO all the time.
I think that we are on the same page. If you don't have to run concealed, then the size of the gun with the CO isn't as big of an issue and in my old age I am shooting at least twice as well with the RMR. However, if a lot of people are shooting CO, then their scores will also be higher and it may be harder to win.
There were 40 guys shooting this past Sunday, 8 were CO. There were some "Open" guys with optics, but that's a different class.
At this point if I can finish in the top 50%...that's a win for me!!! :lol: ...If i could get to the top 25%, that would be DAMN NICE!
I just enjoy competing and hanging with a good group of guys. They'll always be the guys that have been doing it for years and I don't expect to surpass them all to soon. Of the two...I think USPSA is more fun, it's faster, stages are more challenging.
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:38 am

ncjw wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:08 am
GlennSFX wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:30 am
He had a couple pistol purchase permits that are good for 5 years EXPIRE because he couldn't make up his mind! i thought my sister-in-law was going to kill him!
Yes, the permits suck.

For those outside of NC, without a CCW, you need to apply for a permit to purchase a handgun from your local sheriff. You get fingerprinted and it can take up to 30 days (in real life, in a major county it WILL take 30 days, you might get lucky in a smaller county if you know the sheriff). You need a permit for each gun, so if you are going through the process, you might as well go for the max of five at any one time. They are good for 5 years.

Did it once, then got the CCW which eliminates the need for the permits. The CCW needs to be renewed every five years and they purposely do not remind you. If you don't remember to renew five years later and it expires, you have to go through the entire process again. And NC is considered to be one of the "gun friendly" states...
Didn't realize they don't notify you! I'll have to make sure they know. My brother, sister-in-law, daughter and son all have their CCW in NC. I own property in SC so I have my "Non-Resident" CCW and they do notify you when yours is going to expire. I had to renew my last year and did it all online. Easy Peasy!!
0 x

runeight

Post by runeight » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:54 am

Your Brother must drive you nuts. :lol:
0 x
We are in a civil war..

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:10 pm

runeight wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:54 am
Not at all...it's actually funny!
Drives my sister-in-law nuts!! :lol:
0 x

runeight

Post by runeight » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:11 pm

GlennSFX wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:10 pm
runeight wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:54 am
Not at all...it's actually funny!
Drives my sister-in-law nuts!! :lol:
That’s even better!
0 x
We are in a civil war..

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:51 pm

OH BOY...my son just sent me a link from his match last weekend at Rowan, of a guy he was squaded with...and it looks like I'll be shooting with him next month at the Battle of the Beach. :o ...YIKES...something tells me I'm a little out of my league!!! :lol:

Kyle's shot with him a few times now said he's a really nice guy. Just made MASTER, and picked up a few more sponsors.

0 x

ImMobyYouDick
Founding Member #: 1337

Post by ImMobyYouDick » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:54 pm

GlennSFX wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:51 pm
OH BOY...my son just sent me a link from his match last weekend at Rowan, of a guy he was squaded with...and it looks like I'll be shooting with him next month at the Battle of the Beach. :o ...YIKES...something tells me I'm a little out of my league!!! :lol:

Kyle's shot with him a few times now said he's a really nice guy. Just made MASTER, and picked up a few more sponsors.

Hey, that guy shoots for my team! And yes, he's very good!
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:12 pm

ImMobyYouDick wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:54 pm
GlennSFX wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:51 pm

Hey, that guy shoots for my team! And yes, he's very good!
So you shoot at Rowan too?
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:15 am

Went to the range this morning to test some loads, 15 actually, 147g ACME flat nose HiTek coated with 3.1g of Titegroup. COL was 1.135". Went a little longer at @Weapon 's suggestion. I made a 1.14" COL round with no charge and it tested fine in the barrel chamber with no issues. The nice thing about the video at 60 frames is I was able to go frame by frame in Adobe Premier and look at the shots. With all my reloads I did not get any "Sparks" I experienced with other ammo which I discussed in another thread. I'm thinking the "fast burning" Titegroup" and the lighter springs accounting for a quicker ejection, is completely "burned" prior to ejection!!! :-D ...I did get a little muzzle flash but the sparks are definitely gone. I did see some sparks from the 115g ammo I was training with afterwards. You can see them in the videos below.

I brought the chrono with a light setup I made, but it didn't record the shots. I know indoor lighting can be an issue and thought my light setup would work. Weird because the chrono said it was ready. Guess I'll have to go back to the outdoor range to get some readings.

I tested accuracy at 10 and 20 yards and results were good. Had one flyer to the right on my first shot at 20. Others were fine.

I also wanted to test a new video camera I bought for $80 off Amazon. Damn thing works great and is tiny as hell!!! My GoPro video would be grainy as hell with this lighting. The camera has a 150* wide angle lens which can be programed to "narrow" FOV. These videos were done using the narrow FOV. Planning to use it at tomorrows IDPA match.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FC ... UTF8&psc=1

Here's a video testing the ammo.

Here's a couple videos of some timed drills I'll run. First is 4 shots two targets. The 5 two targets.
The targets basically represent the "A" zone of an IDPA Silhouette target. Just looking to get A zone hits.

0 x