The workhorse in your stable.

General Discussion Section for All Other Makes and Models of Handguns and Rifles, including Aftermarket Accessories. Please keep Canik Firearm discussions in the Canik section.
SSGNDoc
Founding Member #: 004

The workhorse in your stable.

Post by SSGNDoc » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:33 pm

Standby for a bit of a story. (Some pictures included to break the boredom)

I’ve been going through handguns in my collection and giving them some routine maintenance. Yesterday I pulled out May Glock 17 and realized what it’s role has been in my collection and how it has fulfilled that role.

When I bought this, the local gun shop/pawn shop, had brought in 10 of these LE trade-in Glock 17s. They were selling them from $325-$375 each. Most of these things looked pretty rough. I talked with the owner of the shop and asked if they could discount them a bit. He said, if I bought 3 or more he could work something out. I went to work the next day talked with a couple friends and we went to the shop at the end of the day. Most of the cleanest looking ones were already sold.

I let my friends take first pick, then I selected the second from worst looking pistol in the bunch. I got it for $275 out the door, because it was going to be a tough sell. My friends asked what I was thinking and I said, I just wanted a complete beater, that I did it care about. I wanted it to try new handloads in. I wanted to try my hand at doing some refinishing, and I wanted to tinker with the Glock platform a bit.

I took it to the range and was pleasantly surprised that it shot well. Fed the ammo I brought, flawlessly, and was more accurate than I expected.

A few months later I was sent TAD to the reserve air station in Marietta, GA. I found out the Glock factory was not far away in Smyrna. I called them and asked if they offered any kind of service where they could check the integrity of the pistol and point out parts that may need to be replaced. They told me to bring the pistol by and one of their armorers would be happy to look at it.
I brought it by and about 40 minutes later the armorer came out and handed me my pistol (still warm from test firing). He told me he replaced everything, (except, frame, slide and barrel), and upgraded me to extended slide release and mag release, and replaced all 3 of my mags. No charge.

I took it to an indoor range and put it through the paces. It was weird. It was like shooting a new pistol, but it still looked like it had been dragged behind a truck.

Since then, I have continued to use it for 15 years to test new loads, handloads, try new drills, run ATV trails, be a hiking companion, run some competitions, be a winter carry pistol, be a test platform for parts swaps, etc. I finished the slide in Brownell’s Teflon coat. I finally chopped the grip to take Glock 19 mags and practiced stippling, before doing my Glock 19, which became my preferred carry pistol.

The 17,19 and 26, became the primary defensive platform for carry for me until a few years ago, when I decided to move back toward DA/SA, decocker equipped pistols for carry.

Here is the old workhorse, from my handgun stable. The Brownells coating is due for replacement, but to be fair to the product, I wanted to see how it would do on this pistol without going through all of the prep, of totally stripping the pistol, sand blasting, and parkerizing before applying the finish.
The slide today, still looks better than it did when I bought it.

Do any of you have a pistol, that is your “workhorse”?

4 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Re: The workhorse in your stable.

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:04 pm

Great story. The "warranty" work from Glock was outstanding.

I would say my M&P full size is my work horse. I've done experimenting on it, torn it down to the studs just to see how it all worked and, to see if I could get it back together again.

Now I've turned it into my USPSA Production firearm. Added Apex trigger system, TFX Pro Tritium/Fiber-Optic Day/Night Sights, KKM barrel, etc., etc. Internals are polished, mags have Taylor Freelance baseplates and get more loving/cleaning then they really need. I even use motorcycle polish on the mags outside to make sure they drop friction free.

All in all, a great firearm that is near & dear to my shooting heart.
1 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage

SSGNDoc
Founding Member #: 004

Post by SSGNDoc » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:10 pm

I picked up a M&P in .40 to be my general purpose pistol, when you couldn’t find 9mm ammo or small pistol primers anywhere on the shelves. Shops near me still had .40 and .357 Sig on the shelves.

I picked up a .357 Sig barrel for it as well. Eventually did the Apex upgrades to the trigger also.
0 x

Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Post by Janik » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:18 pm

Very cool. My old workhorse was a Ruger P89 till a few years ago when I decided to finally cave in to the striker fire phenomenon. Really regretting selling that ol' P89. Damn thing was built like a tank and would eat everything I fed it. Like you, I bought into the striker craze and most of my guns now are striker fired. But, I've been moving back to hammer fired. I don't have a lot in my stable, just my CZ P07 and P09. Looking to add a Bersa TPR9c for an EDC. Right now my Walther P99c is my main EDC and it's been great. But if I had to claim one gun as my current workhorse, it would have to be my first Canik TP9V2. I can't usually make a trip to the range without it. And, it serves as my nightstand gun. It's the one gun I love shooting the most. That being said, the CZ P07/09 may eventually move into carry/nightstand duty.
1 x

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

Post by Tejas Products » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:34 pm

Probably my old Ruger Mark II 22lr pistol... almost 40 years and a lot of kids have learned to shoot with that gun... Quite a few varmints have met their demise with that gun.... Tin Can's fear it....
2 x
Beware of Dragons. For you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

GearHead_1

Post by GearHead_1 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:46 pm

It’s been close to 30 years ago for me. I was as anti-Glock as a shooter/owner/collector could be, they’d be around in the U.S. 5 or 6 years and I just couldn’t get used to the BLOCK look and a pistol made out of plastic. That said, I caved in and eventually bought a G22 at a pawn shop. I shot it but didn’t exactly fall in love with it. I got used to the grip angle but the trigger feel just didn’t do it for me.

I came to a crossroad where it was either dump it or change the way the trigger felt. I started playing around with aftermarket parts and piece by piece the trigger pull improved to a point where I actually liked the gun.

I was shooting IDPA at the time but also ended up participating in a few dedicated Glock shoots and competed fairly well with that pistol. A year or two later I ended up selling that pistol and turned around the same day and bought a ported version of basically the same thing. I did all of the mods to this pistol that I had done to the first one. I remember having a friend that desperately wanted me to sell him THAT pistol, he shot it well and just loved it. The problem was that I did too. He had been very good to me and I wanted him to have one. I offered to put together a clone of it for him but he really wanted mine. In the end I couldn’t let it go and eventually ended up putting a new one together for him.

You all know the rest of the story, if you like one, two, three or more must be better. Each of the successive acquisitions also went through a number of aftermarket mods to bring them to a point that I found to be acceptable. I’ve ended up having a few parts that I really like and have become my “go to“ standard for Glocks. I still shot a lot of 1911’s as well as Beretta’s, Rutgers and S&W revolvers but the Glocks grew on me and became the gun I’d grab.

Recently I’ve been playing around with Poly80 builds. The first P80 I put together is a G17 clone and may now be the best striker fired pistol and perhaps the best pistol I own. I thought I might have trouble with the bigger/blocker version of the grip but that hasn’t been a problem at all. It is very smooth and the trigger is very nice as striker fired pistols go. I guess It should be as I hand picked every piece for it and put it together exactly the way I wanted it. I’ve put together several since and just finished up a G19 clone a couple of weeks ago. I can’t honestly say that the first Poly80 G17 is the very best pistol I have until it has a few years on it but it may well be. This all said, looking back I’d have to say that old G22 is the workhorse of my handgun collection and the reason for my fascination with Glock.
1 x

varmint

Post by varmint » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:44 pm

Hard one for me here probably my old STI 1911 single stack, one of the very early ones it just keeps on going very little finish left and will stay that way, about 12-15 years back it broke the slide stop, called Monday had new one on Wednesday free, this is where I found out it was one of the 1st sold.

Other would be my dad's 56 vintage, 5 screw S&W 44 mag it probable had more holster time than my STI just not as many rounds through it, lots of holster wear, LOTS!
Last edited by varmint on Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

deserttrans

Post by deserttrans » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:16 am

IMG_0030.JPG
IMG_0030.JPG (438.08 KiB) Viewed 162 times
This old Colt, Officers Model Target 38. It has broke in many a new shooter and one of the most accurate guns I own.
Dispatched a coyote at 50 yards in the late 60's with it. 1940'vintage and still going strong!
1 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:43 am

I have an inherited Army Colt that is almost identical. Can't hit a thing with it but won't ever sell it.

My workhorse historically has been my Kimber Custom Target II 1911. Twenty years as my only pistol and nightstand gun. I shoot the SFx a lot more now but need to get the Kimber back into the active rotation again.
0 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Post by TL1000RSquid » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:50 pm

For the longest a Gen2 G17 was my main workhorse I had bought from a cop friend over 15 years ago it was well used and had bought it in 88 or 89. I sold it before I moved about 5 years ago. since then I dont know, my SA, old cz75 and G19 are always taken on range trips, the 75 and 19 get carried sometimes though not main carry guns, p10s has been main carry gun last few months. SHTF and could only take one pistol the 75 or 19 is what I'd take.
1 x

Bladerunnergt

Post by Bladerunnergt » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:25 pm

My P320C. I got this pistol before the trigger upgrade was a thing and loved it then as I do now. Got the trigger upgraded and ended up getting a Carry grip to replace the compact grip (who doesn't want 2 more rounds am I right?) Dropped in an Apex flat trigger, just the trigger not the upgraded bar/springs, and I continue to to carry it IWB this day in that setup you see. This also happens to be my work gun (I do armed security on the weekends while I'm in school for psychology during the week) so whenever I get a chance to get some kind of training in, whether it's a yearly qualification or something I paid for out of pocket on the weekday, I usually bring this along and beat the piss out of it. I also used this gun during my first action shooting match and didn't do all too bad, but it made me want a dedicated gun for shooting sports. Due to this I ended up buying my TP9SFx. So depending on the training I'm doing that day depends on the gun that gets fired but I'll ALWAYS carry this P320 as my daily CCW.

(Unless I'm being super lazy and just throw my P365 in my front pocket that is :)) )
0 x

Sandpaper

Post by Sandpaper » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:04 pm

Nope.
0 x
I'm an infantryman by trade but in my heart, I'm an infantryman.