Adjusting TP9SF Non-adjustable Rear Sight

Canik Firearm Reviews and Range Reports. Share your Canik experiences with other members.
sgschwend

Adjusting TP9SF Non-adjustable Rear Sight

Post by sgschwend » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:50 pm

This post describes my adjustment of the Canik rear sight (the one with the U-shaped slot). I found that I needed to cover the target with the front pin in order to hit the target. The impact point seem to be 2-3 inches below the aiming point.

I have raised the slot and squared it using JB weld epoxy. Leaving it high so I could tune the elevation at the range. I was not able to raise the outside of the slot only the U-shaped bottom. I hope this will have some aiming influence since the front sight has a fiber optic round feature that makes you want to keep it visible.

The attached target was shot at a range of 20 yards. Sand bags used for the adjusting shots. The grouping was in the upper right corner (those hits have stick-on covers). I adjusted the wind-age first, those shots also have sticker. Then with a file I adjusted the elevation. The final sight change was to raise the sight .030 inches.

Then I took ten standing shots. Now they are centered well and I can put the pin on the target center. Time will tell if this setup will continue to influence my elevation.

Rear sight image shows the bottom of the slots is .030 inches higher. Luminescent white paint dots added.

Image Image Image
1 x
Ruger Mark IV 22/45
Rossi RS22 Rifle
Canik TP9SF

sgschwend

Re: Adjusting TP9SF Non-adjustable Rear Sight

Post by sgschwend » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:07 pm

Revision B:
I gave up on using epoxy to raise the pins, it was easy to do but it wasn't strong enough.

More steel was added to the rear sight using my MIG welder. Then machined the pins back into shape but left the pins .045" proud. The final tuning was conducted at the range shooting off sand bags. I decided to polish the pins and clear coated them for protection. This will help me see the pins. The camera shows them being brighter than they really are (polish metal is shinny).

The elevation was set for 20 yards. Which works out to be raising the rear pins by .015 inches, resulting in a 1.5" raise in the impact point. Not very much but I like seeing what I am shooting at. Can't wait to see how it does in a speed competition.

Yep, you can see the spot on the left side that the tools cut the paint, I clear coated that spot to protect the metal. It doesn't really show in normal magnification.
rear sight.jpg
rear sight.jpg (113.1 KiB) Viewed 62 times
0 x
Ruger Mark IV 22/45
Rossi RS22 Rifle
Canik TP9SF