TP9V2 just died

Focused Discussions for all Canik Firearms. (TP Series, P Series, Shark, Stingray & MKEK)
Patsgramps
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:47 pm

TP9V2 just died

Post by Patsgramps » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:07 pm

Bought the TP9V2 in late 2106 in anticipation of all kinds of anti-gun activities that might have resulted from the 2016 Presidential election.

Glad I bought this gun even though I really didn't know what I had. My only other guns were DA only, so when I found out this pistol was DA/SA and had a decocker I was amazed. At several ranges other shooters asked about it because they thought all Caniks were SA only.

Well just shy of three years and 6000 rounds it died!

I had Galloway Precision install a Jefe trigger and low power springs. It shot alright until about 200 rounds. I field stripped it and when I put it back together it wouldn't cock. I'd rack the slide and the cocked indicator would momentarily show and then retreat back into the slide. The trigger wouldn't work in either DA or SA.

I field stripped again and found out the decocker was broken and one of the springs was missing. I contacted Canik and they sent me a new decocker and 2 springs. I installed this but it had no effect on the cocking.

I brought it to my gunsmith to see what he could do. He just called to say that the frame rails were "shot" so that the slide wasn't riding low enough on the rails. I asked what he thought it was and he said it looked like a metal problem between the rails and the frame. He said he was able to work it so the gun would fire but he suggested I get rid of it.

Anyone else have a similar experience? If so, what did you do?
0 x

Gemoose23
Member
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:49 am

Re: TP9V2 just died

Post by Gemoose23 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:49 pm

Go for a warranty, send them with your gunsmiths written explanation. How they handle the warranty for you will mean a lot.
1 x

User avatar
Janik
Staff Member
Posts: 2018
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:59 pm
Founding Member #: 001
Location: Iowa
Contact:

Re: TP9V2 just died

Post by Janik » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:25 pm

Wow, that's crazy to hear. I have 3 V2's and no issues. But, since I have multiples, I don't have one with the round count you have yet, since I shoot all of them. I'd definitely contact Century and let them now what your gunsmith said. Routinely Canik firearms are tested to 60,000 rounds without failure. So something definitely isn't right. Post up some pics so we can see what's going on.
1 x

User avatar
zeda3000
Member
Posts: 464
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:42 am
Location: Turkey

Re: TP9V2 just died

Post by zeda3000 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:51 pm

If you need it technical help or question please share in here with pictures , so i may ask to directly to Canik Turkey for you. At least i could help you like that.
2 x

Patsgramps
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:47 pm

Re: TP9V2 just died

Post by Patsgramps » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:04 pm

Thanks all for your responses. I will get input from the gunsmith and then contact Canik/Century.
I'll follow up with whatever I find.
0 x

User avatar
TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Posts: 1240
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:24 pm
Founding Member #: 007
Location: Texas

Re: TP9V2 just died

Post by TL1000RSquid » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:32 pm

Contact Century/Canik for sure, I'm sure they'll fix or replace, I dont have a V2 but have significantly more rounds through my SA and a couple k more through my Elite, both are running bone stock internals.
1 x

User avatar
Janik
Staff Member
Posts: 2018
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:59 pm
Founding Member #: 001
Location: Iowa
Contact:

Re: TP9V2 just died

Post by Janik » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:31 pm

There are Caniks with thousands and thousands of rounds. I'd like to see some pictures just to see what is actually occurring.
0 x

User avatar
Badgerboy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 973
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:08 am
Founding Member #: 999

Re: TP9V2 just died

Post by Badgerboy » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:33 pm

zeda3000 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:51 pm
If you need it technical help or question please share in here with pictures , so i may ask to directly to Canik Turkey for you. At least i could help you like that.
Calling all forum members...How great is it to have zeda in the network? :ymapplause:
3 x
If Progress means 'to move forward'...what does Congress mean?

Patsgramps
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:47 pm

Re: TP9V2 just died

Post by Patsgramps » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:54 pm

Again, thanks for all the responses.
I will be picking up the gun tomorrow and will get as specific a statement from my gunsmith as I can.
I will also take pictures of the internals to post.
Then contact Century/Canik.
1 x

User avatar
Janik
Staff Member
Posts: 2018
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:59 pm
Founding Member #: 001
Location: Iowa
Contact:

Re: TP9V2 just died

Post by Janik » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:14 pm

Patsgramps wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:54 pm
Again, thanks for all the responses.
I will be picking up the gun tomorrow and will get as specific a statement from my gunsmith as I can.
I will also take pictures of the internals to post.
Then contact Century/Canik.
Thanks. I'm definitely curious, as this is the first time I've heard of this. Also keep us posted how Century Arms handles it.
0 x

Patsgramps
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:47 pm

Re: TP9V2 just died

Post by Patsgramps » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:27 pm

I picked up the V2 from the gunsmith. He said that the 4 frame rails seemed to be "pulled up" from the frame. This made the slide move up and down with enough distance to not allow the gun to go into battery. He attempted to compress the rails and was able to get some movement downward. He also ground a little material from the sear and notched the underside of the striker assembly. I have 6 pictures (not too good but sufficient to see what happened). The left and right rear rails shows most clearly the downward curve of the rail to tighten the space between the bottom of the rail and top of the frame. The two front rails don't look much different to me. The modification of the sear and striker are also shown.
I am emailing Canik/Century about this and will advise what they say.
And as I am concluding this post I realize that I have absolutely no idea how to attach photos. And there at least 4 "Canikfanatik" Facebook pages.
Help.
I'll keep you advised of what Canik/Century advise.
0 x

User avatar
Texas1911
Member
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:54 pm

Re: TP9V2 just died

Post by Texas1911 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:34 pm

Patsgramps wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:27 pm
I picked up the V2 from the gunsmith. He said that the 4 frame rails seemed to be "pulled up" from the frame. This made the slide move up and down with enough distance to not allow the gun to go into battery. He attempted to compress the rails and was able to get some movement downward. He also ground a little material from the sear and notched the underside of the striker assembly. I have 6 pictures (not too good but sufficient to see what happened). The left and right rear rails shows most clearly the downward curve of the rail to tighten the space between the bottom of the rail and top of the frame. The two front rails don't look much different to me. The modification of the sear and striker are also shown.
I am emailing Canik/Century about this and will advise what they say.
And as I am concluding this post I realize that I have absolutely no idea how to attach photos. And there at least 4 "Canikfanatik" Facebook pages.
Help.
I'll keep you advised of what Canik/Century advise.
Oh holy hell! How much experience does this "gunsmith" have with Canik pistols? Why in hell did he grind on the sear and notch the striker?

Personally I'd be very wary about using that "gunsmith" again.
2 x
American by the Grace of God, Marine by choice.

User avatar
zeda3000
Member
Posts: 464
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:42 am
Location: Turkey

Re: TP9V2 just died

Post by zeda3000 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:03 pm

Patsgramps wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:27 pm
I picked up the V2 from the gunsmith. He said that the 4 frame rails seemed to be "pulled up" from the frame. This made the slide move up and down with enough distance to not allow the gun to go into battery. He attempted to compress the rails and was able to get some movement downward. He also ground a little material from the sear and notched the underside of the striker assembly. I have 6 pictures (not too good but sufficient to see what happened). The left and right rear rails shows most clearly the downward curve of the rail to tighten the space between the bottom of the rail and top of the frame. The two front rails don't look much different to me. The modification of the sear and striker are also shown.
I am emailing Canik/Century about this and will advise what they say.
And as I am concluding this post I realize that I have absolutely no idea how to attach photos. And there at least 4 "Canikfanatik" Facebook pages.
Help.
I'll keep you advised of what Canik/Century advise.

I am sending you by PM my private email , please send me all pictures , even if you are available to take short video of problem also it will great. Monday i will share with Canik Turkey Factory Directly and get from them comments for you. But please consdier , Canik Turkey facotry not allowed to help you directly by parts or somehting , this is against there agreement Century. They will share the comments just for me. Normally they are not doing that. Anyway you will get help and you may guide the Gunsmith or Century Arm.


EDIT: PM doesnt work in forum for moment. Lets wait for Admin to fix it.
2 x

User avatar
Janik
Staff Member
Posts: 2018
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:59 pm
Founding Member #: 001
Location: Iowa
Contact:

Re: TP9V2 just died

Post by Janik » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:31 pm

Patsgramps wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:27 pm
And there at least 4 "Canikfanatik" Facebook pages.
This is the only legit Facebook group for Canik Fanatik. https://www.facebook.com/groups/canikfanatik/

And this is the only legit Facebook page for Canik Fanatik. https://www.facebook.com/canikfanatikofficial/

Now we do have a FB page and group for Team Canik Fanatik as well. All other groups and pages are scammers trying to use the name of the group.
0 x

User avatar
higgybaby
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 656
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:05 pm
Founding Member #: 015
Location: Mobile, Alabama

Re: TP9V2 just died

Post by higgybaby » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:28 am

Well....please keep us informed. I am anxious to hear how Century handles this.
Hope the trigger and springs upgrade do not get in the way.
0 x

User avatar
TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Posts: 1240
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:24 pm
Founding Member #: 007
Location: Texas

Re: TP9V2 just died

Post by TL1000RSquid » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:16 am

What Higgy says, I'm curious what they'll say since your 'smith' worked on it.
1 x

Patsgramps
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:47 pm

Re: TP9V2 just died

Post by Patsgramps » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:06 pm

My V2 just arrived. Funny, Canik required my FFL to send the firearm to them for repair/replacement, but they sent it back to my house.

The report indicated that "your aftermarket parts do not fit well in this gun/should not be put back in." The only aftermarket part was the Galloway Precision flat trigger.

The gun now cycles correctly, etc. I will go to the range tomorrow or the next day to see how it shoots.

Apparently this should be a warning to anyone wanting to put the Galloway Precision flat trigger in a Canik.

Thanks Canik!
0 x

Lthrnck1775
Member
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:18 am

Re: TP9V2 just died

Post by Lthrnck1775 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:07 pm

Patsgramps wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:06 pm
My V2 just arrived. Funny, Canik required my FFL to send the firearm to them for repair/replacement, but they sent it back to my house.

The report indicated that "your aftermarket parts do not fit well in this gun/should not be put back in." The only aftermarket part was the Galloway Precision flat trigger.

The gun now cycles correctly, etc. I will go to the range tomorrow or the next day to see how it shoots.

Apparently this should be a warning to anyone wanting to put the Galloway Precision flat trigger in a Canik.

Thanks Canik!
How does an aftermarket trigger cause the frame rail embeds to move? Inquiring minds want to know! :)
0 x

User avatar
Janik
Staff Member
Posts: 2018
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:59 pm
Founding Member #: 001
Location: Iowa
Contact:

Re: TP9V2 just died

Post by Janik » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:36 pm

Patsgramps wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:06 pm
The only aftermarket part was the Galloway Precision flat trigger.
Unfortunately this has been my experience as well with my V2 and DA. I love Galloway Precision products, and use several of them. But I've just not had any luck with the flat faced trigger in my V2 or DA. I've tried it in two V2's and two DA's and it wouldn't function properly. I lose the double action, and the trigger mechanism just feels "off".
0 x

colonel00
Member
Posts: 485
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:36 am
Location: Kansas City Area

Re: TP9V2 just died

Post by colonel00 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:05 pm

I also had an issue with a Galloway trigger I tried in my SFX. It seems like the trigger bar pin hole was off somehow. Trigger works fine in my SA Mod 2 though.
0 x

Post Reply