Fireball with certain types of ammo

General Discussion Section for All Other Makes and Models of Handguns and Rifles, including Aftermarket Accessories. Please keep Canik Firearm discussions in the Canik section.
Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

Fireball with certain types of ammo

Post by Tejas Products » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:05 pm

Let me preface this by saying that I don't reload, I do understand different powders, burn time ,etc... But only a basic knowledge....

Was at the range on Friday breaking in my new S&W Shield.. I had 1 box each of Seller & Bellot, Blazer Brass and LAX ammunition.... All were 115g ball ammo.... Both the S&B and Blazer shot normally without any noticeable muzzle discharge.. However when I got to the LAX, HUGE fireballs when I fired... Thinking something was amiss, I went back to the other 2 brands and no fireballs... Even loaded the mag with alternate brands and every time I hit a LAX round a large blinding fireball out the front of the muzzle....

WHY?
0 x
Beware of Dragons. For you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

tucker03

Re: Fireball with certain types of ammo

Post by tucker03 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:36 pm

Hotter loads maybe. Did you notice any more recoil with the fireballs, in the mixed mags? Maybe take the bullets out of the rounds and measure the powder, and weight of the bullets for shoots and giggles.
0 x

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

Post by Tejas Products » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:42 pm

tucker03 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:36 pm
Hotter loads maybe. Did you notice any more recoil with the fireballs, in the mixed mags? Maybe take the bullets out of the rounds and measure the powder, and weight of the bullets for shoots and giggles.
I did try to notice if there was any difference in recoil, but really couldn’t detect any. I doubt very seriously that I’ll break a round down to measure power, not worth the effort. I only have 2-3 boxes of the Lax. I’ll probably just hold it for my ruger carbine. Really was just curious.
0 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Post by TL1000RSquid » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:27 pm

i believe if slower burning powder is used get more flame.
2 x

Retiredtrooper
Founding Member #: 3871

Post by Retiredtrooper » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:35 am

Slower burning powders will give more flash because it's not all being used in the shorter barrel.
1 x

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

Post by Tejas Products » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:06 am

I thought it was going to be something along with what you guys were saying with the slower burning powder.... Not being a reloader, what is the purpose of using that type of powder....
0 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:42 pm

You should never mix Fireball or any kind of whiskey with shooting certain types of ammo...

Sorry, couldn't resist. Anyway, the slower powder is the reason. It is especially apparent in a shorter barrel, but probably not that much of a difference.

The reason that LAX used a slow burning powder for that batch of ammo is probably because they got a screaming good wholesale deal on a slow powder. The major manufacturers have larger and longer term contract prices where they won't change a high volume process just to save a penny on powder.
1 x