1911 .45acp questions

General Discussion Section for All Other Makes and Models of Handguns and Rifles, including Aftermarket Accessories. Please keep Canik Firearm discussions in the Canik section.
qballbandit
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

1911 .45acp questions

Post by qballbandit » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:51 pm

Hello folks,
I admittedly don't know a whole lot about the 1911 in terms of shooting the type. I do know my wife and I are looking to add one to our collection, though not yet sure if it will be a fun range gun, or rotate into a home defense gun.
We looked a handful today, including the Springfield RO series, S&W 1911 "E" series models, and the Sig 1911 Nickel w/rail. These were more in line with our budget as compared to Dan Wesson, Les Baer, Wilson, and other upper-echelon manufacturers (some day!).
No doubt, we want one in 45acp.

Do 1911's, in general, have their own quirks and idiosyncrasies, or is it more model specific? Do they have "break-in" periods similar to the other semi-auto's of the world, or are they smart right out of the box?

We liked the Sig the best, as it felt most comfortable in our hands, we liked the sights, trigger, and overall look and functionality of the gun.

What advice would you give to a first time 1911 buyer?

Thanks for all comments provided, it's very much appreciate!

Best,

Neil 8-)
0 x
"Train Smart, Train Often, And Train Safe"

runeight
Founding Member #: 198

Re: 1911 .45acp questions

Post by runeight » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:58 pm

You will not go wrong with the manufactures you looked at today. They are all very good firearms and will last for years. All guns have a break in period, some more than others.

Let us know what your final decision is and we can find a good online price. I know of an E series SW for $725.

What model Sig?

Have you by chance held the Sig Nightmare? Boy, I love mine.

https://tooeleshootingsupply.com/shop/s ... on-108284/
1 x
We are in a civil war..
..we just haven’t brought out the guns.

runeight

Post by runeight » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:05 pm

There is also a 45 thread in this section.
0 x
We are in a civil war..

qballbandit
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by qballbandit » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:06 pm

Thanks runeight. No, the Nightmare wasn't in the cabinet. I admit, I loved the looks of the Spartan II, and the Molon Labe themed gun. They also had the "We The People" gun, though the star grips didn't feel right in my hands. In the long run, the Nickel finish just looks so damned handsome to my eyes! I do think I want a rail on the gun so if it does go into the nightstand rotation, I could slap a light/laser on it.

Neil 8-)
Last edited by qballbandit on Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

runeight

Post by runeight » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:07 pm

0 x
We are in a civil war..

runeight

Post by runeight » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:08 pm

qballbandit wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:06 pm
Thanks runeight. No, the Nightmare wasn't in the cabinet. I admit, I loved the looks of the Spartan II, and the Molon Labe themed gun. They also had the "We The People" gun, though the star grips didn't feel right in my hands. In the long run, the Nickel finish just looks so damned handsome to my eyes!

Neil 8-)
There you go! Nickel is good.
0 x
We are in a civil war..

runeight

Post by runeight » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:11 pm

This?

https://tsswarehouse.com/shop/sig-sauer ... 45-sss-ca/

Springfield makes a nice firearm but they are proud of them. I would lean towards a Sig myself between the three.
0 x
We are in a civil war..

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

Post by Tejas Products » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:19 pm

My only complaint with the 1911 platform as a self defense gun is the grip safety. I’ve had a few non fire episodes because I wasn’t gripping it firmly enough to engage it. My preferred home defense is a hammer fired da/sa platform.
0 x
Beware of Dragons. For you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Bfgloki

Post by Bfgloki » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:39 am

I recently went through the same thing you are. I searched, held, fired and basically nit picked for months. I held the 3200 dollar options and the 400 ones and had difficulty feeling difference minus the triggers being more refined. Slide fit was exceptional on all the guns I handled minus the Tarus which made it even more difficult to go with the big boys. Also I knew I would like to tinker and learn the platform better and I would be less inclined to do so with the 1k + models. In the end I found a steal of a deal at a LGS on the Springfield Mil spec stainless. Was a very lightly used pistol with 3 magazines and no wear on any visible components where you would expect to see it for 400 bucks where they normally are around 600-700 with 2 mags. Needless to say I am happy with it so far and really enjoy shooting it more then I thought I would.
Cons are no adjustable trigger on my model but then I plan on adding a new trigger in the future. Otherwise it has the larger beaver tail already and he nodded the grip safety it looks like so other then a polish job I have done nothing and it shoots like a dream.
That Sig is amazing and you won’t be upset if you end up with it. I recommend peeking at the Magnum Research models if you have the chance....they are feature laden and the price point is noteworthy
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:31 am

I've had the Springfield RO Champion in 9mm for quite some time, LOVE IT!

I bought it to be able to learn about 1911s. It has become the sidearm of choice during my range officer shifts.

If you want to carry it, practice, practice, practice, sweeping the safety off. Muscle memory helps a lot when the SHTF and you need to use it.
1 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage

runeight

Post by runeight » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:46 am

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:31 am
I've had the Springfield RO Champion in 9mm for quite some time, LOVE IT!

I bought it to be able to learn about 1911s. It has become the sidearm of choice during my range officer shifts.

If you want to carry it, practice, practice, practice, sweeping the safety off. Muscle memory helps a lot when the SHTF and you need to use it.
Yup, have one for sale now.
0 x
We are in a civil war..

SSGNDoc
Founding Member #: 004

Post by SSGNDoc » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:55 am

1911s can indeed have some quirks. Not necessarily manufacturer specific. If they have the original internal extractor, they often need a bit of “tuning” to allow proper feeding and extraction. Mild radius at the lower edge at the extractor hook to allow the rims of the rounds to slide smoothly up the breech face. Also tension has to be adjusted occasionally. The trigger/disconnector/grip safety leaf spring may occasionally need adjustment.

I tend to avoid 1911s that have added the firing pin block safety. Just adds more moving parts, makes tuning just that much more difficult, and aftermarket parts can be less available for trigger tuning.

Most modern manufactured 1911s seem to be less ammo sensitive than the older ones and require less break in.

The ones you mentioned looking at are all decent. I think the entry level Springfield Armory pistols are pretty good. If yo get the versions with a NM serial number prefix, it usually means at least 80 percent of the parts and labor are US, but they may still use Brazilian raw forged frames and slides. More recently I think Springfield began using US sourced frames and slides for their higher end lines, like the TRP.
0 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Post by TL1000RSquid » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:15 pm

I'm not a 1911 guy i got 2 pre 70 colts, but i know alot of 1911 guys, my outside observations been usually stuff from any decent size manufacturer thats not a small speciality batch usually run out of the box whether its a cheap RIA or something more high end from sig or springfield. Smaller manafactuers with more speciality high end or race type guns seem to be more likely to have issues out of the box. Also a bunch of manafactuers who make shit magazines.
0 x

pandog

Post by pandog » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:57 pm

My first 1911 was a Norinco, a cheap but well made Chinese copy. $238 in Shotgun News. The quality was better than the budget guns from better know brands at the time. I was in CA at the time and when I went back for it after the waiting period I was amazed that it was no longer goopy with grease, clean inside and out. The guy that ordered it for me said he might need to get one for himself. I suspect it was fired but was told no.

It was my favorite pistol until I got my S&W (JRD Billboard). The Smith was not fired but a few times before I got it used and it had a bad slide release I had to replace. The trigger is better than the Norinco. The extractor doesn't bother me like it does many purist, and the firing pin block is lifted by the grip safety and this may help with smoothness of the trigger.

I'm sure you'll fall in love with what ever you get.
0 x

runeight

Post by runeight » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:56 pm

One thing is certain. All levels, price range and features.
0 x
We are in a civil war..

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:23 pm

If you think that there is any chance that it will end up being a nightstand gun then get the rail.

Also, you didn't mention Kimber, who is on the mid/high side. Mine's been great.
0 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:27 pm

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:31 am
OTOH, if you have been used to sweeping the safety off on a 1911, it doesn't bother anything if you end up sweeping off the phantom thumb safety on a Canik.
1 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:48 pm

ncjw wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:27 pm
OTOH, if you have been used to sweeping the safety off on a 1911, it doesn't bother anything if you end up sweeping off the phantom thumb safety on a Canik.
HUH?! But it would look weird. =))
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage

qballbandit
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by qballbandit » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:28 pm

Thanks to all of you for your insight.

runeight: yes, that is indeed the Sig we are interested in!
ncjw: Yes, my wife always has her eye on Kimber, but we honestly didn't take a hard look, though I've seen pictures of some attractive pieces. Next visit ;-)

I'm thinking we'll take the plunge with next springs tax refund. Damn long time to be thinking about it, but lot's of time to keep looking, and hopefully getting to shoot a few. :smile:

Good evening to all,

Neil 8-)
0 x

runeight

Post by runeight » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:35 pm

Next spring?

Wake me up when you are serious.
0 x
We are in a civil war..