newb looking for range ammo advice

Discussion Section for Ammunition, Reloading and Handloading.
procrawler

newb looking for range ammo advice

Post by procrawler » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:31 am

So I am awaiting the transfer of my 1st gun....a SFX. And I will be starting to shoot indoor range stuff, and once I know what I am doing, will be taking a blackbadge holster course and hopefully progress into competition.
I am looking for advice and experiences from experienced shooters on where I should be spending $on ammo.....what type works well in an SFX, grain etc works best, is accurate, is easy to shoot, isn't filthy, and is good value.
Thx in advance
0 x

higgybaby
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 015

Re: newb looking for range ammo advice

Post by higgybaby » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:25 am

Hang on procrawler- there are several comp shooters on the forum....you'll get a good answer shortly.

I am in love with the S&B in 115 and 124, but they may tend to a tad hot for what you want.
0 x

Bfgloki

Post by Bfgloki » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:01 am

Start with 100-150 rds of Winchester 124g NATO ( easily found at Walmart) then you will be god to shoot just about anything
2 x

HeliarcLee

Post by HeliarcLee » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:21 am

higgybaby wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:25 am
Hang on procrawler- there are several comp shooters on the forum....you'll get a good answer shortly.

I am in love with the S&B in 115 and 124, but they may tend to a tad hot for what you want.
I shoot a lot of S&B 115 through my DA. Its what my range carries and ordered a bunch online when I found a sale. When I shot an indoor steel shoot they make you use 100gr frangible ammo and it felt incredibly light to me. Maybe shooting the 115 S&B all the time, if it is actually pretty hot, conditioned me to controlling that recoil.
0 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:39 am

Once broken in with the NATO as above, I almost always use Speer Lawman 124. Always works and is on sale from time to time at $8.50/box with free shipping on the case from Target Sports USA which is pretty competitive. Stock up when on sale.
0 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Post by TL1000RSquid » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:14 am

S&B and Fiochi are what I'm currently buying 115 and 124gr. They're a little on the hot side no quite +p but more along the lines of NATO spec, and both can be found pretty cheap I think Academy had FIochi for $8.49 a box last time I was there which is about the same as online.
0 x

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

Post by Tejas Products » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:45 am

Once either broken in with some 124 Nato or a free replacement spring from Century... I honestly go with what I can find the cheapest.... Granted that is under the guise of good old fashioned plinking ammo.... Most commercial brands are going to be pretty much the same in that arena.... 115g ball ammo..... You will usually get a better deal though if you buy by the case.. 1K rounds.... I personally try not to spend more than .16c per round if possible... I don't know were you live, but I spend a lot (maybe too much :-) time on local gun trading sites... I usually buy or trade from individuals when I can... My last acquisition netted me about 2k 9mm rounds for around .11c per round and 1k rounds of .45acp for around .16c per round...
1 x
Beware of Dragons. For you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

oldfrank

Post by oldfrank » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:29 pm

I stay with 124gr and if you are not going to reload, go with whatever brass cased ammo you can get the best deal on.

You can check prices on sites like AmmoSeek and Ammograb but I usually get my best deals in emails from places I buy ammo, guns and parts.
Target Sports USA usually has a great deal going and free shipping.

I know local competitive shooters who buy from Freedom Munitions and Atlanta Arms too!

Good Luck!
0 x

Badgerboy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 999

Post by Badgerboy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:31 pm

I have not had the problems many post regarding break in...I run 115 from day 1 and no problem. I don't like steel or aluminum, and run brass...it can be reloads or virgin and any cheap stuff for range fun. I will run steel or aluminum in some of my less favorite guns, but only if I come across really cheap stuff.
0 x
If Progress means 'to move forward'...what does Congress mean?

procrawler

Post by procrawler » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:44 pm

Being that I am Canada, I wont be able to order from the USA without more hassle than it is worth.
I just figured i should maybe get 50 rounds of one, 50 rou ds of another etc to see what the differrnce feel like.
Also mentioned above, what is the replacement spring from Century?
0 x

Lgaam
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 080

Post by Lgaam » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:20 pm

procrawler wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:44 pm
Being that I am Canada, I wont be able to order from the USA without more hassle than it is worth.
I just figured i should maybe get 50 rounds of one, 50 rou ds of another etc to see what the differrnce feel like.
Also mentioned above, what is the replacement spring from Century?
Since the Canik was designed as a military sidearm, the Recoil Spring Assembly has been a little stiff for some commercial ammo. Canik, via Century Arms, has a lighter RSA available that they have shipped upon request for those with FTE issues.
0 x

qballbandit
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by qballbandit » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:24 pm

With regards to purchasing - if you haven't checked the prices to make it worthwhile, ammoseek.com (an ammo pricing search engine/site) is always my first-stop-shop. From there I compare prices and shipping from the various distributers.
Warning - STAY AWAY FROM CAROLINAMUNITIONS unless you have free money to throw away on inflated shipping charges.

Neil 8-)
0 x
"Train Smart, Train Often, And Train Safe"

SSGNDoc
Founding Member #: 004

Post by SSGNDoc » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:18 pm

Fiocchi, Sellier&Bellot, IMI, Speer Lawman all worked well in the early round counts with my Caniks. After they each digested their first 1K or so rounds, they seem to eat most anything. I’ve run Federal, American Eagle, Remington UMC, Winchester USA, Blazer brass and aluminum case, Federal Champion aluminum case, PMC Bronze, and other loads that have a reputation of being loaded with “weak sauce”.

Projectile weight didn’t seem to matter. I ran 115, 124, and 147 gr bullet loads.
0 x