New Member From Nashville, TN

New Members, take a moment and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about you and your interest in the Canik brand of firearms.
bkellyusa

New Member From Nashville, TN

Post by bkellyusa » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:52 pm

I have just recently gotten interested in purchasing a new TP9 after looking at one in my local gun store. I was looking at purchasing a Walther PPQ when the salesman recommended I consider the Canik. Once I had the Canik in my hand (the blue one with the silver slide) and run it through it's paces I was hooked.

I live in the country outside of Nashville, TN. I am retired. Other than firearms my personal interests are motorcycles, photography, the Tennessee Titans and music.
1 x

Badgerboy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 999

Re: New Member From Nashville, TN

Post by Badgerboy » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:34 pm

[quote=bkellyusa post_id=18714 time=1560549155 user_id=2281
Other than firearms my personal interests are motorcycles, photography, the Tennessee Titans and music.
[/quote]

Three out of four ain't bad...welcome to the forum. Go Packers!

By the way, some folks here have a sense of humor. Poor, but a sense.
1 x
If Progress means 'to move forward'...what does Congress mean?

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Post by TL1000RSquid » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:36 pm

Welcome. Not sure which one your talking about a few of the models come in that configuration. Can't go wrong either way with the TP9's or a PPQ.
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:04 pm

bkellyusa wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:52 pm
Other than firearms my personal interests are motorcycles, photography, the Tennessee Titans and music.
You had me at "motorcycles".
Badgerboy wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:34 pm
"What's you talking about, Willis?"

Welcome aboard the forum.
1 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage

bkellyusa

Post by bkellyusa » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:24 pm

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:04 pm
bkellyusa wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:52 pm
You had me at "motorcycles".
Badgerboy wrote:
"What's you talking about, Willis?"

Welcome aboard the forum.
I should have said Harley's. I've had motorcycles my whole life but for the last 30 years my bike has been a 1988 Harley-Davidson FXR in Low Rider trim with a mid-glide front end. I have 460,000 miles on it. I've thrown away 3 speedometers in that time and rebuilt the engine 4 times in different performance packages. I am retired now with a bad back and hip so I just turned it over to my daughter and son-in-law.
1 x

bkellyusa

Post by bkellyusa » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:26 pm

Badgerboy wrote:
[quote=bkellyusa post_id=18714 time=1560549155 user_id=2281
Three out of four ain't bad...welcome to the forum. Go Packers!

[/quote]

I love the Packers up until they play the Titans. Then I absolutely hate their guts.
Good luck with our former OC as your new HC. I wasn't that impressed with him.
0 x

bkellyusa

Post by bkellyusa » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:33 pm

TL1000RSquid wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:36 pm
Welcome. Not sure which one your talking about a few of the models come in that configuration. Can't go wrong either way with the TP9's or a PPQ.
I love Walther's and have two of them. Most peope love the ergonomics on the Walther's but the TP9 feels much better in my hand than the PPQ.
0 x

Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Post by Janik » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:58 pm

Welcome to the forum, I still EDC a Walther P99c since Canik has yet to release something in comparable size. I really like Walthers, but the Canik in my humble opinion edges them out. For me personally, they fit my hands a little better and they are just more accurate. May not be everyone's experience, but that's how it is for me. I still love Walthers, but I also have a deep affection for Canik and have chosen them as my main firearm. Even comparing my full size Walther P99 to the Canik V2 and DA, I still shoot the Caniks better, and notice less muzzle rise. Again, Walthers are great, but I'm definitely a fan of Canik. Welcome again.
0 x

bkellyusa

Post by bkellyusa » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:04 pm

Janik wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:58 pm
Welcome to the forum, I still EDC a Walther P99c since Canik has yet to release something in comparable size. I really like Walthers, but the Canik in my humble opinion edges them out. For me personally, they fit my hands a little better and they are just more accurate. May not be everyone's experience, but that's how it is for me. I still love Walthers, but I also have a deep affection for Canik and have chosen them as my main firearm. Even comparing my full size Walther P99 to the Canik V2 and DA, I still shoot the Caniks better, and notice less muzzle rise. Again, Walthers are great, but I'm definitely a fan of Canik. Welcome again.
I love Walthers as well but I am not a fan of any particular brand. Each manufacturer usualy has at least a pistol or two that I really like. However, with that said, I think Walther generally has the most stuff right. I thought that wholeheartedly until I picked up the Canik TP9. Left the store with a whole new outlook on Canik.

I also love the new Taurus pistols. Particularly the G2C, the TH9 and the TX22. First time I handled a G2C I sold my S&W Shield 9mm to get one.
0 x

Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Post by Janik » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:00 pm

bkellyusa wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:04 pm
I also love the new Taurus pistols. Particularly the G2C, the TH9 and the TX22. First time I handled a G2C I sold my S&W Shield 9mm to get one.
G2C and TX22 are on my short list. The TH9 intrigues me as well since I still love DA/SA handguns. With that said, I own a few hammer fired CZ's that are outstanding. I definitely own a few different brands and enjoy them all. But Canik, Walther and CZ are my main interests.
0 x

HeliarcLee

Post by HeliarcLee » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:22 pm

bkellyusa wrote:
Janik wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:58 pm
I love Walthers as well but I am not a fan of any particular brand. Each manufacturer usualy has at least a pistol or two that I really like. However, with that said, I think Walther generally has the most stuff right. I thought that wholeheartedly until I picked up the Canik TP9. Left the store with a whole new outlook on Canik.

I have a Performance center shield, and man is that a good little shooter. I don’t shoot it a whole lot though, I enjoy shooting my DA much more.
0 x

bkellyusa

Post by bkellyusa » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:39 pm

Janik wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:00 pm
bkellyusa wrote:
G2C and TX22 are on my short list. The TH9 intrigues me as well since I still love DA/SA handguns. With that said, I own a few hammer fired CZ's that are outstanding. I definitely own a few different brands and enjoy them all. But Canik, Walther and CZ are my main interests.
The CZ's are nother gun that interests me. I've never handled or shot one but I like the way they are designed. I've been told by people I respect that even copies of that design, like the EAA Tangfolio function very well and, like the CZ's are also very accurate.
1 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:06 am

bkellyusa wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:24 pm
I should have said Harley's. I've had motorcycles my whole life but for the last 30 years my bike has been a 1988 Harley-Davidson FXR in Low Rider
After an assortment of import models, I went American. Been through 4 Harley's, '90 Softail Custom, '98 Dyna WideGlide, '01 ElectraGlide and a '14 ElectraGlide (dry head). Bad back & a fake knee don't stop me; some things in like are worth the pain.

(envision these icons with bugs in the teeth) :d :d :d :d :d
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage

bkellyusa

Post by bkellyusa » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:31 pm

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:06 am
bkellyusa wrote:
I should have said Harley's. I've had motorcycles my whole life but for the last 30 years my bike has been a 1988 Harley-Davidson FXR in Low Rider
After an assortment of import models, I went American. Been through 4 Harley's, '90 Softail Custom, '98 Dyna WideGlide, '01 ElectraGlide and a '14 ElectraGlide (dry head). Bad back & a fake knee don't stop me; some things in like are worth the pain.

Early on I had BSA I converted to the Lightning model by adding the second carburetor. Later on I had a few Jap bikes including a Harley copycat Yamaha Virago. The Virago was one of the most troubled mechanical devices I have ever owned.

Once I bought the Harley I was imediately enthralled with it. I'd almsot bought one several times before I finally did it. I tuned mine to the max and rode it all over the country. Practically lived on the bike for 25 years. I had to work out of state a lot so I just loaded up my tools and took off.

I always thought I'd buy a Kawasaki Concourse as well A freind of mine had one and lent it to me one day and I was pretty happy with it. It's a completely different bike than a Harley. First time I road it I thought I was traveling maybe 85 mph through the hills and countryside near my home outside Nashville, TN. I was so unfamiliar with the bike it took me a minute or so just to find the speedometer and when I did I realized I was doing 132 mph if I remember right. I'd ridden my Harely over 120 in Badlands Naional Park before but at that speed on a Harley it feels like your about to enter another time dimension. On the Concourse you could smoke a cigarette and drink a cup of coffee while you flew along at those speeds. No problem. Besides it being so quiet it had a windshied on it and I hadn't ridden many bikes with windshield before. I just couldn't believe how pleasant it was to ride at that speed and the bikes had incredible brakes on it.

I once went to a BMW dealer with a friend to look at the new R bikes. I tried one. I didn't like it at all. It had great brakes but it was otherwise a dud for me. I'd take the Concourse over one of those any day of the week.

All said and done the Harley FXR is the ultimate bike for me. I love mine. I had it set up like I wanted and I could ride the hell out of it. I have friends with sport bikes and in the moutains they could run away from me in the straight sections but I could easily catch them in the corners. The troulbe with sport bike guys is often they let the bike do all of the work. They generally brake to early in turns and jsut try to maintain power in the turn. I fly in at least to the 40% mark before even hitting the breaks and then power out.

For years I thought I must be the fastest Harley rider on earth until one day I ran into an out of state rider on another FXR. This guy could ride so well he had me riding over my head. For miles and miles I thought I was so close to crashing at the speeds he could travel I finally gave up. I wish I could have caught him and had a conversation with him. I don't know what he knew that I didn't but I am positive it was not the way he had his bike set up. He just had better chops than me.

Oh well, this is pretty far off topic. If you want to discuss motorcycles further messsage me. I can talk motorcycles from here to eternity. I'm new here and I don't want to wear out my welcome.
1 x

bkellyusa

Post by bkellyusa » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:49 pm

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:06 am
bkellyusa wrote:

quote]

The thing that messes me up is the pain that goes with my back and hip problems. I just don't feel that dialed in while riding anymore so I just don't enjoy it. I like feeling happy a free and totally in the moment while riding and I am not feeling like that these days so I shoot my pistols from my back porch while sitting in a tall folding chair.
1 x