New Wheel Gun

General Discussion Section for All Other Makes and Models of Handguns and Rifles, including Aftermarket Accessories. Please keep Canik Firearm discussions in the Canik section.
Post Reply
Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor
Posts: 662
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:10 pm

New Wheel Gun

Post by Tejas Products » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:28 am

I've had in my collection for some 30 odd years a Smith and Wesson model 66-3, 6 inch stainless with original wood grips... I just can't sing its praises enough.... That being said... with several thousand rounds through it, I'm thinking of relegating it as a safe queen.... It was a family owned gun before I got it, so I want to hang onto it... My biggest issue is simply wearing it out... It has the original hammer attached firing pin which I can't believe is still solid, but I'm sure at some point will break.... AND I really want to add optics to it.

So... Due to an acquisition of about 1000 rounds of 38spl ammo, and my desire to upgrade anyway... I've been looking at the Taurus 66, 6 inch stainless as a replacement... Also a large consideration is I want to mount either a red dot or scope, which is almost impossible on the old S&W 66-3 without drilling and tapping the frame...Which I absolutely refuse to do....

My Pro's for going with the Taurus 66 are as follows

Low cost. $400.00 or less
You have to look pretty hard to find a bad review
Aftermarket parts such as grips, rail mounts, etc are pretty decent
and as said above, it is drilled to that a weaver mount can be installed.

I just don't see the need to spend $600.00 - $800.00 for another Smith or Ruger
0 x
Beware of Dragons. For you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

oldfrank
Member
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:37 pm

Re: New Wheel Gun

Post by oldfrank » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:04 am

If youi are going to put an optic on it, I think you are on the right path. I think the taurus will be fine for whatever you want to do with it.

I don't have safe queens, even the like new 1906 .22 Winchester rifle I got passed down from my dad's Uncle, I shoot it.
I have three 66's. A 2.5", 3" and a 4" that has been extensively modified for competition. You can shoot your 66 near forever as long as you don't always use hot loads and it will last but that is up to you.

Good luck!
0 x

User avatar
higgybaby
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 595
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:05 pm
Founding Member #: 015
Location: Mobile, Alabama

Re: New Wheel Gun

Post by higgybaby » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:24 am

Since you are looking at Taurus?.......and if you would consider a blemish or refurb?- look at Kygunco.

I saw a video yesterday (can't seem to find it now) where they were unboxing 4 pallets of blems/refurbs- all come with lifetime warranty, and 100% money back including shipping if you turn it down at the ffl.
I'll continue to look for that video.

Okay- here it is- 6 min and worth watching- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmY0S5iRoHw
1 x

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor
Posts: 662
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:10 pm

Re: New Wheel Gun

Post by Tejas Products » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:27 am

oldfrank wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:04 am
If youi are going to put an optic on it, I think you are on the right path. I think the taurus will be fine for whatever you want to do with it.

I don't have safe queens, even the like new 1906 .22 Winchester rifle I got passed down from my dad's Uncle, I shoot it.
I have three 66's. A 2.5", 3" and a 4" that has been extensively modified for competition. You can shoot your 66 near forever as long as you don't always use hot loads and it will last but that is up to you.

Good luck!
Thanks for the info.... I prefer just regular ol' 38spl... I don't see the need to spend the $$ and deal with the extra recoil of a .357... I'll shoot my .45 if I want the bigger kick... :-)
Honestly, It's one of my wife's favorite guns to shoot... semi-auto's confuse her a little, plus she really likes the tactile feel of cocking the hammer each time.... We both are getting to the age where sights are starting to get a little fuzzier which is why I have been slowly converting what I can to optics...

I own 11 handguns.
3 have red dot (Canik SFX, Girsan .45 1911, Ruger Mark 4 Hunter)
2 - my EDC so no sights due to concealed carry
1 - 100 years old (Colt hammerless)
1 - Revolver - The SW 66
1 - Tristar T-100 (Nightstand gun, so no sight wanted)
1 - Canik SF
1 - Browning Hi Power (wouldn't dare put a sight on it)
1 - Star Modelo Super B (Clone of the Browning)

4 Rifles
Mosen Nagant - Carbine version
Ruger 10/22 - Scoped
Ruger 9mm Carbine - Scoped
Hi Point Carbine - Scoped

So as you can see, If I can easily put an optic on it I will....
0 x
Beware of Dragons. For you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor
Posts: 662
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:10 pm

Re: New Wheel Gun

Post by Tejas Products » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:32 am

higgybaby wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:24 am
Since you are looking at Taurus?.......and if you would consider a blemish or refurb?- look at Kygunco.

I saw a video yesterday (can't seem to find it now) where they were unboxing 4 pallets of blems/refurbs- all come with lifetime warranty, and 100% money back including shipping if you turn it down at the ffl.
I'll continue to look for that video.

Okay- here it is- 6 min and worth watching- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmY0S5iRoHw
Good info... But I found new ones at better prices at Classic firearms and grabagun
0 x
Beware of Dragons. For you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

User avatar
TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Posts: 1079
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:24 pm
Founding Member #: 007
Location: Texas

Re: New Wheel Gun

Post by TL1000RSquid » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:05 am

I've eyed some of the Taurus revolvers, some very good prices compared to everything else but always been hesitant to pull the trigger on one due to past Taurus rep even though they seem to be doing real good job turning it around lately. I'd like to do a scoped pistol. Right now my only wheel guns are 6" 357 ruger and 2.5" .357 colt, neither of which i want to go drilling holes in to mount a scope, wont include .22 or BP.
0 x

skborders
Member
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:12 am
Founding Member #: 156
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: New Wheel Gun

Post by skborders » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:00 pm

I really want one of the Hi-Point Carbines. They are cheap too.
0 x

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor
Posts: 662
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:10 pm

Re: New Wheel Gun

Post by Tejas Products » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:48 pm

TL1000RSquid wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:05 am
I've eyed some of the Taurus revolvers, some very good prices compared to everything else but always been hesitant to pull the trigger on one due to past Taurus rep even though they seem to be doing real good job turning it around lately. I'd like to do a scoped pistol. Right now my only wheel guns are 6" 357 ruger and 2.5" .357 colt, neither of which i want to go drilling holes in to mount a scope, wont include .22 or BP.
Between me and my 2 boys we have the following Taurus guns.

PT92 x 2
PT111 x2
PT85
Spectrum

That's 6 Taurus's and every one of them have been 100% reliable...
0 x
Beware of Dragons. For you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

User avatar
TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Posts: 1079
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:24 pm
Founding Member #: 007
Location: Texas

Re: New Wheel Gun

Post by TL1000RSquid » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:07 pm

Tejas Products wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:48 pm
TL1000RSquid wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:05 am
I've eyed some of the Taurus revolvers, some very good prices compared to everything else but always been hesitant to pull the trigger on one due to past Taurus rep even though they seem to be doing real good job turning it around lately. I'd like to do a scoped pistol. Right now my only wheel guns are 6" 357 ruger and 2.5" .357 colt, neither of which i want to go drilling holes in to mount a scope, wont include .22 or BP.
Between me and my 2 boys we have the following Taurus guns.

PT92 x 2
PT111 x2
PT85
Spectrum

That's 6 Taurus's and every one of them have been 100% reliable...
I got one of the pt milleniums, rarely shoot it but its been reliable when shot. The 92's have always been pretty good since they're made on old beretta equipment. Probably selling my m&pc and replacing with the TX22, if that goes well i'll probably pick up one of their revolvers, not sure if ill stick with .357 or go .44.
0 x

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor
Posts: 662
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:10 pm

Re: New Wheel Gun

Post by Tejas Products » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:04 pm

Little update to my original post... I moved on from the Model 66 to the 627... I was just about to lock in a purchase but called my LGS first (I hate to wait on shipping).. They didn't have the 627 in 6.5" Stainless like I wanted but they did have the 692... So.. I'm like what's so different about the 692 for $150.00+ more than the 627... OHH.. Realllyyyy..... It comes with both 38/357 AND 9mm barrels..... Ok.. Well...... I'm going to have to think about this now.... I narrowed down the 627 with price, shipping FFL fees to right around $420.00 out the door... Now with the newer version I'm looking at $540.00 out the door.... Man... what am I to do.....

Oh... I still have to purchase a scope rail and red dot for whichever model I get... That's the whole point of getting the Taurus line... Something quality but affordable that I can mount a red dot on.....
0 x
Beware of Dragons. For you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

User avatar
TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Posts: 1079
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:24 pm
Founding Member #: 007
Location: Texas

Re: New Wheel Gun

Post by TL1000RSquid » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:25 pm

I feel for ya tough choice the extra versatility of the 692 is appealing.. then have to think for that price can also pick up a nice Smith or something a bit more high quality.
0 x

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor
Posts: 662
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:10 pm

Re: New Wheel Gun

Post by Tejas Products » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:37 pm

TL1000RSquid wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:25 pm
I feel for ya tough choice the extra versatility of the 692 is appealing.. then have to think for that price can also pick up a nice Smith or something a bit more high quality.
I hear what you say.. But Taurus has really stepped up it's game on the new series of wheel guns.... I mean sure, S&W is a quality gun, but at what point are you paying for the name.... The reviews on the Tracker series are great an they've been out for a few years now and have a really good track record. I just can't cost justify a 6" Stainless S&W when there are other just as good but lower cost revolvers out there.....

I'm just having to decide if the extra $150.00 is worth having the 9mm option.....
Last edited by Tejas Products on Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Beware of Dragons. For you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

User avatar
TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Posts: 1079
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:24 pm
Founding Member #: 007
Location: Texas

Re: New Wheel Gun

Post by TL1000RSquid » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:53 pm

I've not priced out revolvers in awhile I thought you could one for or atleast nice like new one for around $500. I know I've seen a few used ones lately in one of the emails i get (centerfire or classic maybe?) in the $4xx range dont think they were 6"er's though.

The novelty of shooting 9 out of the revolver would probably wear off after a couple range trips for me.
0 x

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor
Posts: 662
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:10 pm

Re: New Wheel Gun

Post by Tejas Products » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:06 pm

TL1000RSquid wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:53 pm
I've not priced out revolvers in awhile I thought you could one for or atleast nice like new one for around $500. I know I've seen a few used ones lately in one of the emails i get (centerfire or classic maybe?) in the $4xx range dont think they were 6"er's though.

The novelty of shooting 9 out of the revolver would probably wear off after a couple range trips for me.
Yea, anything in the 6.5" inch stainless is not cheap, A S&W 6" Stainless runs around $700.00 and up. 2 more things I like about the Taurus is that it's 7 rounds and built in porting on the barrel.... I'm also inclined to think that your right on the novelty of the 9mm option... I've got some really nice 9mm pistols already....

And here is probably the most important part... My wife likes shooting larger revolvers..... She said that I could get 1/2 of the $$ as my fathers day and birthday gift.... Just sayin....
0 x
Beware of Dragons. For you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor
Posts: 662
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:10 pm

Re: New Wheel Gun

Post by Tejas Products » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:53 pm

A90D2E32-69A6-4731-B9D1-D0017CB111FE.jpeg
A90D2E32-69A6-4731-B9D1-D0017CB111FE.jpeg (61.1 KiB) Viewed 339 times
079733B4-50D7-435F-8C02-2098058C8ABD.png
079733B4-50D7-435F-8C02-2098058C8ABD.png (564.94 KiB) Viewed 339 times
Picture says 7.62, but I got the 9mm

Well, I bit the bullet. But classic firearms was having a sale so I picked up the polish pp43 9mm as well. Wife’s on vacation in 2 weeks, we already have range day scheduled. Also picked up a scope mount for the revolver
0 x
Beware of Dragons. For you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

User avatar
TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Posts: 1079
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:24 pm
Founding Member #: 007
Location: Texas

Re: New Wheel Gun

Post by TL1000RSquid » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:12 pm

Nice.. I been watching those pps prices come down... I'll be getting the 7.62 one eventually I have several thousand rounds of milsurp x25.
0 x

Post Reply