Trigger double reset before firing

Having and issue with your Canik Firearm? Post your problem here for other members to assist with finding a resolution.
h.j.

Trigger double reset before firing

Post by h.j. » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:36 am

Fairly new at this game,(maybe 4 years total) so I am asking for some advice from some of you true Canik Fanatics!
I have a TP9SF, a TP9SFX, and my son has a TP9SF FDE.
Recently my TP9 has a double reset to its' trigger before firing. I have interchanged all the uppers to lowers,
and have concluded that the problem is with my lower (frame) of "my" TP9SF. However, that's about as far as my gun-smith
knowledge goes. I have changed striker and plunger springs in all 3, but the problem didn't start until well after those changes.
I thought I read a post about something with the trigger safety, but I can't find that post (should've bookmarked it!!)
Any thoughts??
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Re: Trigger double reset before firing

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:03 pm

h.j. wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:36 am
Recently my TP9 has a double reset to its' trigger before firing
OK, I'm a little confused by the terminology; reset is associated with a trigger post-firing. From the Alien Gear website: "The reset is the portion of the trigger's return stroke, where the sear - the portion of the trigger mechanism that engages the firing mechanism - re-engages with the hammer or firing pin, which allows the pistol to fire."

Can you describe in a little more detail what is it that is happening?

We're all happy to help.
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage

Noshoot

Post by Noshoot » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:21 pm

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:03 pm
h.j. wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:36 am
Recently my TP9 has a double reset to its' trigger before firing
OK, I'm a little confused by the terminology; reset is associated with a trigger post-firing. From the Alien Gear website: "The reset is the portion of the trigger's return stroke, where the sear - the portion of the trigger mechanism that engages the firing mechanism - re-engages with the hammer or firing pin, which allows the pistol to fire."

Can you describe in a little more detail what is it that is happening?

We're all happy to help.
I'm with LT, not understanding what you mean.

Are you getting two audible/tactile "clicks" as the trigger returns forward? Does the trigger have to return forward through two audible/tactile clicks before it will fire again?
0 x

h.j.

Post by h.j. » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:53 pm

Yes, that is exactly what is happening, 2 audible/tactical clicks before firing. The others only 1 click
0 x

Weapon
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 005

Post by Weapon » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:50 pm

Best guess would be there is something funky with the trigger bar. Does the rear trigger bar tab look the same as your other Caniks which are not double clicking? Is there excessive side to side play in the trigger bar?
0 x

colonel00

Post by colonel00 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:10 am

How far does the trigger travel before the first reset? Is this travel comparable to the other guns to their reset points? How far does the trigger travel between the clicks?

Also, what happens if you just go to the first reset and then pull the trigger? Absolutely nothing? Can you hear or feel any engagement/movement in the gun besides the trigger moving?
0 x

h.j.

Post by h.j. » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:21 am

They look pretty much the same, but tons of side to side play compared to the other 2!
0 x

h.j.

Post by h.j. » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:38 am

After the first reset, if I try to rack the slide, it hits a brick wall until the next reset
0 x

h.j.

Post by h.j. » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:39 am

After comparing the others to the SF, the trigger bar really migrates in during trigger release, at least a 1/16 of an inch
0 x

Weapon
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 005

Post by Weapon » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:25 am

One of the two clicks is likely the trigger bar tab slipping off the ridge on the slide. You could try bending the rear tab on the trigger bar ever so slightly to the right to see if it helps. Option 2 would be to bend it slightly outward at the first bend right in front of the front trigger bar tab so the bar pushes slightly more to the right (against the frame). If neither of those help, it’s likely time to send it in for repair or track down another trigger bar.
0 x

h.j.

Post by h.j. » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:55 pm

Thanks, as soon as I get a chance, I will give it a try and let you know the results. If that doesn't work, any thoughts on where to get a new trigger bar. I looked on the Canik website, but didn't see any offered.
0 x