Preferred Ammo for your Caniks

Discussion Section for Ammunition, Reloading and Handloading.
Eisenhowitzer43

Re: Preferred Ammo for your Caniks

Post by Eisenhowitzer43 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:43 pm

I've only tried the cheap Tula 115gr steel case and have had minimal stovepipes after a couple hundred rounds. Then again, I don't load a full 20 rounds in the magazine for my sfx
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 011

Post by GlennSFX » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:40 pm

Until recently, I've never had any issues with either the SFx or EC running anything I've put through them. I've run 115g FMJ Fiocchi, Blazer, Aguila, Lawman, American Eagle, Winchester and Sellier/Bellot without any issues. Also a small mix of 124 Fiocchi and 147 American Eagle. I was visiting my two kids and brother/wife in NC over Thanksgiving and sent down a case of 115g Lawman from Target Sports. My brother bought a case of 115 Federal Champion from them in the new 100 pack boxes.

My son and I went shooting a couple times and went through 700 rounds of the lawman. The Sunday before we were leaving, we went to a local outdoor range with the 300 Lawman, and the case of Federal. There were 5 of us shooting. We had a Glock 19s, my brothers new SFx, sister-in-laws Walther PPS M2, and my EC. We were shooting the Lawman for the most part, when my brother called me over and was having some stovepipe issues. I noticed he had a box of the Federal sitting on his bench. I cleared the malfunction and proceeded to shoot, only to experience a stovepipe after two successful rounds. Then my daughter said she was having issues with her 19. She was now shooting the Federal. I went over to my sister-in-law and she was still shooting the Lawman...no issues. I took 20 rounds of the Lawman from her box and put 10 in the SFx and 10 in the 19...no issues. I threw a mag of the Federal into my EC and the first few rounds were fine and then had a stovepipe. I had my sister-in-law switch to the Federal and after two round, had a double feed. There was no question there was something up with this Federal stuff. The only up side was my sister-in-law and brother, who are relatively new shooters, got to experience real type 2 and 3 malfunctions.

It was bad enough that we ended up calling it a day after using about 300 rounds of the stuff. I've never experienced the number of malfunctions we had in such a short time. I tried to find the ammo on Target Sport's site to get the specs, and it's not there...either sold out or others were complaining about it. I just might have to call and see what they have to say.
0 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:56 pm

124gr Lawman would be my choice for my SFX all things being equal. Otherwise, 124gr brass anything on sale. 124gr WWB NATO from Walmart is perfectly fine when they have it on a good sale.

The only 115gr that I can think of that has never had a failure in my SFX is the Sig.

The Elite-S hasn't had a problem with anything, but why buy two different rounds for two 9mm's when the price difference is usually a penny a round?
0 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Post by TL1000RSquid » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:39 pm

GlennSFX wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:40 pm
Until recently, I've never had any issues with either the SFx or EC running anything I've put through them. I've run 115g FMJ Fiocchi, Blazer, Aguila, Lawman, American Eagle, Winchester and Sellier/Bellot without any issues. Also a small mix of 124 Fiocchi and 147 American Eagle. I was visiting my two kids and brother/wife in NC over Thanksgiving and sent down a case of 115g Lawman from Target Sports. My brother bought a case of 115 Federal Champion from them in the new 100 pack boxes.

My son and I went shooting a couple times and went through 700 rounds of the lawman. The Sunday before we were leaving, we went to a local outdoor range with the 300 Lawman, and the case of Federal. There were 5 of us shooting. We had a Glock 19s, my brothers new SFx, sister-in-laws Walther PPS M2, and my EC. We were shooting the Lawman for the most part, when my brother called me over and was having some stovepipe issues. I noticed he had a box of the Federal sitting on his bench. I cleared the malfunction and proceeded to shoot, only to experience a stovepipe after two successful rounds. Then my daughter said she was having issues with her 19. She was now shooting the Federal. I went over to my sister-in-law and she was still shooting the Lawman...no issues. I took 20 rounds of the Lawman from her box and put 10 in the SFx and 10 in the 19...no issues. I threw a mag of the Federal into my EC and the first few rounds were fine and then had a stovepipe. I had my sister-in-law switch to the Federal and after two round, had a double feed. There was no question there was something up with this Federal stuff. The only up side was my sister-in-law and brother, who are relatively new shooters, got to experience real type 2 and 3 malfunctions.

It was bad enough that we ended up calling it a day after using about 300 rounds of the stuff. I've never experienced the number of malfunctions we had in such a short time. I tried to find the ammo on Target Sport's site to get the specs, and it's not there...either sold out or others were complaining about it. I just might have to call and see what they have to say.
Haven't chrono'd it but I'de bet the federal bulk packs are pretty weak. I buy them sometimes at Walmart when they're out of WWB bulk packs. I've occasionally ran into FTE/Stovepipes with it across several different guns, it was one of the first ammo's I tried putting through my Elite when it was new and it would stovepipe every other round. You probably got a particularly weak batch.
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 011

Post by GlennSFX » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:21 pm

TL1000RSquid wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:39 pm

You probably got a particularly weak batch.
That's what I figured. I ended up calling Target Sports because the ammo was no longer listed. The CS woman said it was probably a one time deal they got...figures. I told her I wanted to look at the specs to see what the velocity numbers were. She gave me the number for Federal, which I ended up calling. I told the CS person the issues we were having, and she said their techs would be interested in discussing the issue and transferred me. Unfortunately all the technicians were busy, so they took my number and said they would call me back.

:roll: We'll see if I get a call back.

My brother is new to shooting and just bought his first gun, the SFx, the day before we went shooting, that's why I decided to call. He and his wive are on their way home from a wedding in FL. I'll call tomorrow and see what info I can get of the boxes.
0 x

Moken

Post by Moken » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:29 am

I have ran at least a half dozen different handloaded bullets through our Shark C and P120 and not had one failure. I've loaded Hornady XTP, Berrys HHP, Berrys 124 rn, Xtreme 124, 115 RN, Xtreme 124 gr HP and ACME coated 124 RN all went bang and made a hole! LOL I would say the Xtreme HP and Berrys HHP were the most accurate. I actually never ran any factory loads through my Caniks.
My SD loads are going over the chrony at 1100fps and I keep the plinkers around 1000fps
1 x

Texas1911

Post by Texas1911 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:28 am

Almost all the ammo I use are my reloads using bullets I cast.

The load that my SFx loves are these.

Ramshot Competition 2.7 gr under a 147 gr RN no lube groove bullet from a MP mold. It cycles with no problem. Is very soft shooting and extremely accurate.

I can fire one round, put the red dot on that bullet hole and hit that hole as long as I do my part.

I will say this though, if you limp wrist the gun this round will not function. I've had very experienced shooter who are much more experienced than I am have problems shooting that load in my gun. I tell them they either have grip problems, limp wristing, or are riding the slide.

I was at the range yesterday and had my team capitan ask to shoot my Canik. Stove pipe after stove pipe. I told him it was him and not the gun. I took the gun and put 21 rounds through it as fast as I could pull the trigger with no problems. It took him 15 minutes to be able to get beyond his problem.
1 x
American by the Grace of God, Marine by choice.

oldfrank

Post by oldfrank » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:49 pm

reloader762 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:01 am
I ran a couple boxes of the German MEN 124 gr. NATO ammo through my TP9SA when I first got it as well as some 124 gr. FMJ's I had reloaded with no issues. These days all it gets is a steady diet of my NOE 124 gr. TC cast lead bullets, powder coated and sized to .357" behind 5.0 grs. of Power Pistol. For carry ammo I like the Federal 124 gr. +P HST https://www.sgammo.com/product/federal/ ... mmo-p9hst3

Did you get that Sport Pistol load from any book? That is higher powder charge than 124 JHP +P!
0 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:18 pm

oldfrank wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:49 pm
reloader762 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:01 am
I ran a couple boxes of the German MEN 124 gr. NATO ammo through my TP9SA when I first got it as well as some 124 gr. FMJ's I had reloaded with no issues. These days all it gets is a steady diet of my NOE 124 gr. TC cast lead bullets, powder coated and sized to .357" behind 5.0 grs. of Power Pistol. For carry ammo I like the Federal 124 gr. +P HST https://www.sgammo.com/product/federal/ ... mmo-p9hst3
Did you get that Sport Pistol load from any book? That is higher powder charge than 124 JHP +P!
I'm not a 9mm reloader but maybe Power Pistol vs Sport Pistol?
0 x

DWARREN123

Post by DWARREN123 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:12 am

Like I said I like my reloads, Mostly 124/125gr flat point or hollow points.
I use CFE Pistol, Titegroup, Longshot, all seems to work well at warm levels.
As for +P+, most pistols are not rated for them but will run a few without damage but best to up the rating of the guide spring.
0 x
Shut up and Reload!