Pistol shooting diagnostic targets

Basic Firearm and Defensive Skills and Training Discussion Section.
Ghostwolf308
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 009

Pistol shooting diagnostic targets

Post by Ghostwolf308 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:53 am

Original post by 1caniksmith on the old Canik Fanatik Forum

So how many of you use diagnostic targets? Im a huge fan of them personally. Id like to hear some thoughts?

here is some examples for those that haven't heard of them.
1 x

dek16001

Re: Pistol shooting diagnostic targets

Post by dek16001 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:23 am

I’ve used these ...some help
0 x

zeda3000

Post by zeda3000 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:38 am

What is distance of shooting for this diagnostic?
0 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:07 am

Zeda has a great question. I think that they may be useful if you are trying to refine your 25 yard bullseye technique.

The vast majority of people that I have introduced or helped train to shoot pistols jerk the shot low anticipating recoil. I let them know that everyone does this at first, no problem, let's correct it. When they are getting 4-5" groups on an 8" target at 7 or 10 yards with the occasional jerk low, everyone is happy. Unless they go on to really want to master the pistol, that is fine for fun target shooting and combat if they ever need it, an inch or so off center in any direction isn't going to matter.

BTW, judging from the other targets I see at the public range I go to (some lucky to get half on target at that range), this is exceptional shooting...
0 x

zeda3000

Post by zeda3000 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:08 am

ncjw wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:07 am
Zeda has a great question. I think that they may be useful if you are trying to refine your 25 yard bullseye technique.

The vast majority of people that I have introduced or helped train to shoot pistols jerk the shot low anticipating recoil. I let them know that everyone does this at first, no problem, let's correct it. When they are getting 4-5" groups on an 8" target at 7 or 10 yards with the occasional jerk low, everyone is happy. Unless they go on to really want to master the pistol, that is fine for fun target shooting and combat if they ever need it, an inch or so off center in any direction isn't going to matter.

BTW, judging from the other targets I see at the public range I go to (some lucky to get half on target at that range), this is exceptional shooting...

I just check the first picture size, 23x24 cm (metric) . This is much more smaller than regular half human paper target. If some one shooting that from 25 yards and can running into this circle. We are talk about really minor adjustments for shooting and this is really high skill shooting. It looks like this paper not good for begeniner. This is more like Mid between pro levels. Me , my self i am still run for 10 yards shooting practice , cause i am not feel ready for 25 yards. I have to spent more more time and bullets to get controll for 25 yards.
0 x

37L1

Post by 37L1 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:37 am

zeda3000 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:08 am
ncjw wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:07 am

I just check the first picture size, 23x24 cm (metric) . This is much more smaller than regular half human paper target. If some one shooting that from 25 yards and can running into this circle. We are talk about really minor adjustments for shooting and this is really high skill shooting. It looks like this paper not good for begeniner. This is more like Mid between pro levels. Me , my self i am still run for 10 yards shooting practice , cause i am not feel ready for 25 yards. I have to spent more more time and bullets to get controll for 25 yards.
zeda, it's a mental thing. If you can shoot at 10 you can shoot at 25. Just practice at that distance. You will find what you need to do to make good hits on target.
0 x
You'll shoot your eye out.

qballbandit
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by qballbandit » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:23 pm

Hi 37L1,
Please don't mistake my question for being argumentative, but isn't it the reverse, unless I am misunderstanding your comment? If you can shoot at distance, you could shoot close is what I've been taught, and makes logical sense.\
My instructor always stressed that I work my warm-up drills for defensive shooting at 21/25/30 ft., then work in, because if I can put groups at the further distances, the 15/12/9 ft will be easy-peasy.

Best,

Neil 8-)
0 x
"Train Smart, Train Often, And Train Safe"

37L1

Post by 37L1 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:20 am

qballbandit wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:23 pm
Hi 37L1,
Please don't mistake my question for being argumentative, but isn't it the reverse, unless I am misunderstanding your comment? If you can shoot at distance, you could shoot close is what I've been taught, and makes logical sense.\
My instructor always stressed that I work my warm-up drills for defensive shooting at 21/25/30 ft., then work in, because if I can put groups at the further distances, the 15/12/9 ft will be easy-peasy.

Best,

Neil 8-)
That works. But if you want to improve your distance shooting, you need to practice distance shooting. Distance shooting is not "defensive shooting", generally speaking, of course. They each require a bit different approach. In defensive shooting drills, time and distance are both compressed. Time is not a factor for distance target shooting unless it's for competition.

The question is what do you want to accomplish?

I find that the Canik is such a good pistol that anything inside of 10 yards (30 ft) is easy-peasy. 15 yards and beyond takes me time and concentration.

This is my first target shooting my new Elite Combat. I did take my time. The further out I shot, the more time I took between shots. Pulled to the right at 15 yards, but still not too bad for an old guy. Probably tightening up my grip a little while pulling the trigger.
Attachments
Canik Elite Combat Target.jpg
Canik Elite Combat Target.jpg (676.14 KiB) Viewed 234 times
0 x
You'll shoot your eye out.

qballbandit
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by qballbandit » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:45 pm

Understood, and thanks for responding back :smile:

Neil 8-)