Stainless Steel Guide Rods

General Discussion Section for All Other Makes and Models of Handguns and Rifles, including Aftermarket Accessories. Please keep Canik Firearm discussions in the Canik section.
John Snow
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 190

Stainless Steel Guide Rods

Post by John Snow » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:06 pm

What are the real benefits of purchasing an aftermarket stainless steel guide rod? I've seen people post about it in the FB groups, and I noticed that Galloway Precision has a SS guide rod for the Elite as well as the DA/V2. They have three weights listed, 20, 22 and 24lbs. My assumption is, different weights depending on what your shooting and if it's hotter or weaker ammo. They also list the stock spring weight is 19.1lbs. I'm thinking of getting one, I'm just not sure if my justification for purchasing one in correct. I'd be getting it primarily because it's stainless steel, and I assume more durable than the stock RSA. What kind of service life can you expect out of one? Should it last longer than a stock RSA? Thanks in advance for feedback on these questions.
0 x

runeight
Founding Member #: 198

Re: Stainless Steel Guide Rods

Post by runeight » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:18 pm

The weights you see are the guide rod springs.

Some firearms, like Glock, use poly guide rods. Nothing wrong with them as they are well proven however some people prefer to upgrade. I being one of them.
1 x
We are in a civil war..
..we just haven’t brought out the guns.

John Snow
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 190

Post by John Snow » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:57 am

runeight wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:18 pm

Some firearms, like Glock, use poly guide rods. Nothing wrong with them as they are well proven however some people prefer to upgrade. I being one of them.
I've read online from people that say they change out their RSA's about every 5,000 rounds. Does the same hold true for steel guide rods? I imagine it has more to do with the spring itself, but curious if it's the same for aftermarket steel guide rods.
0 x

DWARREN123

Post by DWARREN123 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:23 am

Ease in changing out springs is the only reason I can see in a steel/stainless steel guide rod.
0 x
Shut up and Reload!

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Post by TL1000RSquid » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:05 pm

John Snow wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:57 am
runeight wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:18 pm

I've read online from people that say they change out their RSA's about every 5,000 rounds. Does the same hold true for steel guide rods? I imagine it has more to do with the spring itself, but curious if it's the same for aftermarket steel guide rods.
My previous G19 had 15-20k rounds through it with same tungsten guide rod.
0 x

Ghostwolf308
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 009

Post by Ghostwolf308 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:16 pm

I know alot of people do it for reliability reasons. Plastic guide rods can break where the SS rods wont. I have a couple pistols with plastic guide rods that I plan to upgrade in the future to make them more reliable.
0 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Post by TL1000RSquid » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:44 pm

I haven't had a plastic guide rod break on me, but I do generally replace them with either stainless or tungsten at some point, and after that if I need a different weight spring or the spring is worn I just replace the springs.
2 x

Steve

Post by Steve » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:56 pm

I just finished a Polymer 80 G19 long slide from Brownells. I got a oem guide rod from Ebay, I don't know what the spring rate is standard. Seems pretty stiff when you rack the slide. Seems to cycle well though, snowing here today so did'nt get out to shoot it.
0 x