Galloway Precison Reduced Power Spring Kit

Modifications, Tutorials, Upgrades and Aftermarket Product Reviews.
Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Galloway Precison Reduced Power Spring Kit

Post by Janik » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:42 pm

A couple weeks ago I installed a Galloway Precision Reduced Power Spring Kit in my TP9DA.
Link to product page on Galloway Precision website: https://gallowayprecision.com/canik/tp9/

There are two different spring kits, one for the DA/V2, and one for the Elite, Elite Combat and SFx. I of course used the one for the DA/V2. The install is fairly simple and straight forward. They even have a video tutorial on the product page which makes it very simple. The first two DA's I purchased had pretty good triggers, but the third one I got seemed quite a bit heavier. So, I decided to install the kit and see what happens, and I was pleasantly surprised. A lot of people are not used to a longer double action pull, and tend to shy away from DA/SA handguns. I on the other hand grew up with DA/SA handguns and have no problem with them. But, the double action pull on my third DA was harder than my others.

Before installing the spring kit, I gauged the double action and single action press weights of my DA. With an average of 5 presses in double action, I was averaging 10lbs. Average of 5 presses in single action, I was right around 5.5lbs. After the installation of the spring kit, I tested the trigger again. In double action, with an average of 5 presses, I'm down to 8lbs. And with a 5 average in single action, I'm down to 4.25lbs. I'd say that's a pretty decent difference. I also just bought one of the few remaining NIB TP9V2's, and may install a kit in that one as well. My older V2's have smoothed out very nicely over the last couple years so I'll leave those two alone.

As I said, the installation is pretty straight forward, and if you have any questions, just watch Galloway Precisions video while your swapping out the springs. I first replaced the extractor spring using a 1/32 punch. New spring on left, old spring on right.
20181224_1705521.jpg
20181224_1705521.jpg (157.05 KiB) Viewed 61 times
20181224_170400.jpg
20181224_170400.jpg (46.03 KiB) Viewed 61 times
20181224_170419.jpg
20181224_170419.jpg (132.34 KiB) Viewed 61 times
Once, the extractor was reassembled, I removed the roll pin from the rear of the grip, removed the trigger return spring and installed the new one. It only took a couple minutes and required very few tools. If I remember correctly, all I used was a punch, small hammer and needle nose pliers.
New spring on the left, OEM return spring on the right.
20181224_172245.jpg
20181224_172245.jpg (133.9 KiB) Viewed 61 times
Again, the install was really simple and takes very little time. If you have any questions, just watch the video on the product listing and Galloway Precision will walk you through the entire process. I'm really happy with the upgrade and it has made a big difference in how the pistol performs. Most notably, my groups have tightened up, and my wife whose not a big gun person can remain on target a lot easier with it as well.

Lastly, I want to thank Galloway Precision and other companies who are working to build support for the Canik brand, and leading the way in bringing aftermarket parts to market.
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Re: Galloway Precison Reduced Power Spring Kit

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:46 pm

You're a good man, Charlie Brown.
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage