Springco email.

Modifications, Tutorials, Upgrades and Aftermarket Product Reviews.
runeight
Founding Member #: 198

Springco email.

Post by runeight » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:57 am

Anyone else receive the email from Springco? What a nightmare!

My guide rod and spring has shipped by the way so they are catching up.
0 x
We are in a civil war..
..we just haven’t brought out the guns.

Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Re: Springco email.

Post by Janik » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:01 am

What's going on? I didn't get an email, but I also haven't bought anything from them yet.
0 x

runeight

Post by runeight » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:10 am

Janik wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:01 am
What's going on? I didn't get an email, but I also haven't bought anything from them yet.
Let me see if I can find it. It’s rather lengthy.
0 x
We are in a civil war..

runeight

Post by runeight » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:11 am

Read on..

Hi Folks. This e-mail is going to cover a lot of territory that may or may not be applicable to your specific order, but I'm putting it all together due the overwhelming size of the group who are receiving this. Please take away the information that you need from the ensuing lengthy novel and disregard the rest. Many of you are already aware of the predicament we have been going through for the past few months in obtaining a resupply of our stainless components for these and all of our systems. In March of this year I received a call from the owner of the CNC machine shop in Montana that has faithfully made our components since 2004 with the unfortunate news that he had been diagnosed with esophageal cancer. He was optimistic about the outcome, and related that his Oncologist had assured him that he would be able to continue working during his radiation and chemotherapy treatments prior to his surgery, and requested that I send him a P.O. that would carry us over for the next six months. We have become like family over the lengthy relationship, and while I was somewhat apprehensive about his ability to pull that off, I did not hesitate to give him a shot at it.

He got a decent start on the list, but the treatments took a big toll on him, and he finally waved the white flag in the middle of July. Thankfully, his surgery to remove his esophagus was successful, but he is going to have a long recovery. I already had a backup plan with a machine shop in Indiana who had worked with us on other projects before, so I sent them 41 different sample components and what turned out to be our only uncorrupted copy of our SolidWorks CAD files with his assurance that he would knock them out in short order. He immediately fell off the face of the earth and resurfaced with the news that he had decided to pursue other interests, and had taken an equity position in another large machine shop with all of his equipment. He said not to worry, because he could have them run at his father's machine shop, and thus began the ordeal.

Lots of promised delivery dates came and went. He finally called me saying that he was shipping me 1,200 pcs. of our priority parts later in the day. He called back at the end of the day stating that the machine operator had not checked any first article parts, and that there were only 3 good parts in the lot. He said not to worry, because he would just take everything over to the big shop that he had bought into as a passive investor and again, promised me that they could knock them out quickly. Communication went dark again, and when he finally resurfaced, he informed me that instead of running my priority list, they had taken it upon themselves to make 25 First Article parts of all 41 components on the P.O., but that they were at least going to be shipping them directly to me the next day. That never happened. After a couple off more weeks when he finally answered the phone, he said that the 4 other partners were faced off 2 against 2 regarding some unrelated business issues and that nothing was getting done on anybody's jobs, and that things were moving towards litigation between the partners. I demanded my sample parts and CAD files to be returned. He said no problem, and promptly fell off the face of the earth again. The only way I finally got him to respond was by tracking down his Dad and explaining our dilemma. He spoke with his son and I received an immediate response that he was going to put all of the CAD files back onto a flash drive and send them to me along with the sample parts to arrive here on November 19th. On November 12th I had already made arrangements to have the parts made at a large CNC machining facility in Utah with great capacity and willingness to help out. Nothing arrived here in Austin before Thanksgiving, and the tracking number he provided was bogus. He promised that he would copy the files onto a new flash drive and send it directly to the company in Utah, but that he had located his supposed prior shipment containing my sample parts and the first flash drive in Missouri because the shipping clerk had entered the wrong zip code, and that everything was being returned to directly him to arrive on Black Friday. On a hunch, on Black Friday I bought a 128GB flash drive on Amazon and it was delivered to him on November 26th.

I finally received the sample parts on December 3rd and sent them FedEx Next Day to Utah. On the 5th they acknowledged the receipt of the flash drive. On the night of December 7th, they called me with the news that the flash drive was encrypted and that they needed the access pass code to open up the files. Miraculously, I was able to track down the guy in Indiana and he gave me the supposed pass code, which I relayed to the guys in Utah. I talked to the shop manager twice on the 8th and he said that material was landing for our parts on the 10th, and expected to be making chips on the 11th. On the morning of the 11th he called me saying that the pass code didn't work. I called the guy in Indiana, who called them with every possible combination without any luck. He then called me to have them send it back to him so he could break the code. I said that was unacceptable, and that he just needed to go buy another flash drive and overnight them to Utah. He agreed, but they didn't transfer over fast enough in time for him to get to UPS or FedEx. The next day he assured me that they were shipped Express Mail and provided a valid tracking number . The package had an arrival scan at 8:01 a.m. on Thursday, but there have been no further scans, and the fate of that shipment is still unknown. Late yesterday afternoon, I received an email with a Dropbox link containing all of the files. I promptly shared them to Utah, and they are going to report back to me with a game plan on Monday after reviewing them over the weekend.

Whew. Before I continue, I want to apologize for the absence of communication since you ordered. I have spoken with many of you, and you have patiently followed down the road of supposed resolutions that came and went. As you can see from the preceding tale of woe, the story kept changing on a daily basis due to the fairy tales being spun by the captors in Indiana holding the keys to kingdom. For those of you that are twisting in the wind not getting any communication, I realize that having no news can be worse than bad news. We have never been in a position like this in 22.5 years. I couldn't begin to speculate when anything was going to start moving forward until we regained possession of our property. As the pile of orders just for these systems alone has surpassed 200 and growing on a daily basis, the logistics of communicating with the crowd became overwhelming. I had to be able to hold off until I could be in a position to tell many of you anything with credible assurance that the light at the end of the tunnel was no longer a train. Either way, it's a double edged sword, and I profusely apologize.

Online orders are merely authorizations. We never touch a penny of your money until we have held up our end of the bargain. At the time of shipment we also manually adjust the Shipping Charges downward from what the old website calculates and assigns by at least $2.00, then and only then do we capture the transaction for all of the daily transactions. Unfortunately, online authorizations have a shelf life that runs from 3 to 14 days depending upon the policies of the your individual banks, and when that Authorization Hold is dropped, the funds are automatically credited back to your account untouched. The Merchant Account that we use for our online orders sometimes allows us to create a new transaction based upon your previous transaction, but the only financial data we have ever have access to is the type of card you used and the last 4 digits of the card number. If we are unable to do that when your fulfillment position in the stack comes to pass, we will contact you requesting that you either provide your card information in order for us to manually complete the order or just order it again. Your orders will be filled based upon the sequence of date and time received. As the list is growing daily, at least you have already secured your slot in the fulfillment queue at the current price. We will have a new interim website up before the end of the month that will also reflect a $5.00 price increase on all of our Recoil Management Systems. I haven't had a price increase on those in over 13 years, and while my costs per unit have increased over $12.00 each over that time, that would create a lot of sticker shock if passed along directly to our customers.

Our lack of ability to access the backend Management Console of our current clunky old website to add new products or edit any existing information for the last 13 months has also complicated your ordering process, especially for those of you who are Canik owners. Most of those of you who are Canik owners came to be aware of our existence due to the YouTube Channel of Frank the Tank. He is an amazing brand ambassador on top of him being a very enthusiastic and passionate competition shooter. I am eternally grateful for his support, and want to assure you that he is a seriously genuine good person (along with his lovely wife, Eryn) and
any of you that have talked to or met him personally are already aware of that fact. He's not the typical internet shill who will endorse a product or company just for clicks and a ride.

If you have not already spoken to me about your order, it's important that you do so prior to shipment, especially those of you in the Canik crowd. We have quite a few spring related options that may or may not be better for what you're trying to accomplish. Again, the absence of that information on the current website complicates matters further. The things we need to go over can't be adequately addressed via e-mail or especially on Facebook in the middle of the night. We have 3 different recoil springs available, and it helps both of us to understand how we can best address your particular situation. We have 2 different reduced power springs. The WHITE spring that is included with the Walther Q5 Matches was inspired from some of the Team Walther shooters who wanted to try something lighter than our original YELLOW reduced power spring. We changed it on the website right before we lost access to the back end. While the WHITE spring is only 1# lighter than the YELLOW spring, it was conceived for use with 147 Gr. Minor PF loads. Due to the functional limitations imposed by the lockup design of both Walther and Canik platforms, the pistols themselves, not your desires, dictates how light you can go on the recoil spring. The WHITE spring is the absolutely lowest power spring you can pray to use and retain function for feeding and positive lockup in battery. Some specimen pistols, especially the Walthers, don't play nice with the WHITE spring and require the YELLOW spring. On both brands of pistols, the factory striker spring also has the uncanny ability to reduce some of the closed load pressure from the recoil spring. For those of you who are running 147 Gr. or 150 Gr. heads, you may or may not have already discovered that attempting to run a Power Factor lower than 130 will reduce your pistol to a single shot, except with extremely rare specimen pistols. The optimal power factor for those loads as identified by the Team Walther shooters is 131-133. Both platforms are historically able to successfully cycle 115 Gr. and 124 Gr. loads with Power Factors closer to the minimum 125 PF restriction. On an aside, those of you who have considered purchasing a threaded BBL solely for the purpose of installing a compensator to reduce should do extensive research and try before you buy. I have fielded dozens of calls from customers who have ended up with expensive paperweights from their failed attempts. Again, the energy required to reliably cycle the slide is dictated by the pistol design. You may wish it were otherwise, but physics is the final arbiter of your success, not your wishes.

For those of you who are Canik owners, many of you are aware that the factory striker spring is a beast, and it's imperative that it be replaced with something reasonable. To address that dilemma, we had Frank quiz a lot of folks on the Forums as to the success or failure of some of the historical workarounds out there. It became apparent that the best solution was to go with 29 Newtons (6.52 lbs.). That cuts the weight of the factory striker spring almost in half, but removes any issues that may be encountered with hard primers and light strikes encountered by using the 6 lb. or the red 28 Newton Glock striker springs that frequently are hard to find in inventory around the country. Our springs are chrome silicon, moly-plated, and cryogenically processed for a ridiculously long duty cycle.

Additionally, we worked in collaboration with Danny Thompson of Team Walther to produce a Competition Trigger Spring Kit that replaces the factory trigger return spring and the magazine safety plunger spring. In both the Walthers and Caniks, the springs work with either factory or aftermarket triggers.

Of the above springs discussed, the YELLOW recoil springs, the replacement striker springs, and the trigger spring kits do not appear on our website. If you wish to get more information on these springs or add anything to your existing order, you need to call rather than e-mail us.

Now to the burning question, "When is my order going to ship?" I have great confidence in the shop in Utah who now has the ability to move forward with any degree of certainty to determine resolution of this crisis. Their game plan will not be worked out until Monday, but at least we are finally making some tangible progress. What I can only say with full confidence is that when we finally receive parts, we will be able to knock out at least 25 orders a day. In the meantime, we are extremely busy working on the new interim website and preparing for SHOT Show in January. I cannot and will not promise you anything until I have parts in hand and the ability to dig our way out of this hole is back under our control with parts in hand. Calling or e-mailing just about the shipping date isn't going to affect the priority of your current reservation in the fulfillment queue. I assure you that it cannot happen a nanosecond soon enough for my sanity. On a slightly brighter side, as of this coming Tuesday, if the 6 customers from early September with orders requiring 5" systems who have not replied to our repeated attempts to contact them fail to respond to our final attempt to contact them made yesterday, those systems will go to orders in sequence with those we received beginning sometime during the day of October 14th. We do not have any 4" rods. All of the Caniks we have outstanding orders for take the 5" rod. If you've made it this far reading this novel, thank you for your time. If you wish to cancel your order, that's perfectly understandable. For those of you who want to hang in there, I sincerely appreciate your patience and understanding.

V/R,

Alan Dugger
Managing Member
Sprinco USA / Tactical Springs LLC
1 x
We are in a civil war..

Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Post by Janik » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:15 am

Holy cow! I hope he has a speedy recovery, and they are able to fulfill all the orders. Crazy stuff.
0 x

runeight

Post by runeight » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:23 am

Janik wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:15 am
Holy cow! I hope he has a speedy recovery, and they are able to fulfill all the orders. Crazy stuff.
No, it’s being sourced elsewhere. As you can tell dealing with CNC Shops is an entirely different matter.

Quite the read huh?
0 x
We are in a civil war..

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:16 am

Wow. Two issues here:

1. It is absolutely vital that communications take place in as near real time as possible. You may lose a few customers, but for the most part people understand that stuff happens and they adjust their expectations and plans accordingly. Thus a few customers may need to cancel, but that is OK, it is far better than losing customers because they don't know what is going on, you may not get those customers back.

2. Overcommunicating. Yes, the email is way too long and detailed. If communications had been ongoing, there would be no need for the novel.

Full disclosure: I bought the Sprinco system and (yellow) spring shortly after getting my SFX and their customer service was among the best that I had ever seen, so this was surprising. Hopefully, everything gets back on track shortly.
0 x

Jrcnky

Post by Jrcnky » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:29 am

Just ordered one of these and saw this after. About how long am I looking at for this to ship???
0 x

runeight

Post by runeight » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:25 pm

Shouldn’t take long. In production.

The email was the hoops they jumped through with CNC manufactures to produce them.

No worries.
0 x
We are in a civil war..

Jrcnky

Post by Jrcnky » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:59 pm

Sent an email to sprico just to get an idea. Basically sounded like easily a month. Something like 300+ orders and no product in stock until this time next month. Filling 30 a day after product ships......

That stinks...ill give them a shot because they have good reviews and they were nice enough to respond in detail. Hopefully it won't take that long....or longer. I'll give it a week or so and if no progress I'll cancel and go another route.
0 x