Buy it cheap, stack it deep

Discussion section for Everyday Carry items, Preparedness and Self Defense, including Knives, Packs, Filtration Systems, Bushcraft, etc.
higgybaby
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 015

Re: Buy it cheap, stack it deep

Post by higgybaby » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:55 am

John_ wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:05 am
Which state are you leaning to post retirement?
Yeah.......what does the spreadsheet say about that?- Inquiring minds want to know.

My brother sold his home here in Mobile and moved to Gulf Shores- bought a nice condo. He likes it -EXCEPT..... in summer there are so many tourists that one can not get around town easily, and in winter time there are so many snow birds one can not find a parking place at any of the good restaurants (hah)!

Even spots that seem to look good will have their downsides.

Edit: North Alabama looks good to me- out from Huntsville maybe? ......away from the big cities. Some of those counties have almost no crime. And, good roads in and out should you decide to go somewhere.
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:34 am

John_ wrote:
Texas. No state income tax, VERY gun friendly and as a disabled vet, I get some very good exemptions on property tax. All part of my retirement strategy. But wait! There's more. We'll be living much further away from the hurricane zone.

OK, somebody is going to bring up the 'tornado ally' comment. Here's my outlook; 15 hours of terror or 15 seconds of terror, take your pick. My mine is 15 seconds.
I've live in the Mid-West tornado ally, I've lived in Buffalo so I know about blizzards, I've lived a lot in Cali and been through major earthquakes (Northridge, World Series in the Bay, etc.) and wildfires (Oakland Hills '85), I've lived in LA-MS-FL and have been chased about by hurricanes (David, Katrina, Issac, etc.) and typhoons in Guam (Paka). My point is every place to live has some shortfalls; which is the lessor of the evils or has acceptable risks for you.

As a side note, if you see me moving into your neighborhood, get more homeowners insurance. :d
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage

higgybaby
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 015

Post by higgybaby » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:19 am

Texas?....... well if that works for you- go for it. I had an uncle that lived near Tyler for many years- he loved it.
0 x

John_

Post by John_ » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:40 am

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:34 am
Texas. No state income tax, VERY gun friendly and as a disabled vet, I get some very good exemptions on property tax. All part of my retirement strategy. But wait! There's more. We'll be living much further away from the hurricane zone.

OK, somebody is going to bring up the 'tornado ally' comment. Here's my outlook; 15 hours of terror or 15 seconds of terror, take your pick. My mine is 15 seconds.
I've live in the Mid-West tornado ally, I've lived in Buffalo so I know about blizzards, I've lived a lot in Cali and been through major earthquakes (Northridge, World Series in the Bay, etc.) and wildfires (Oakland Hills '85), I've lived in LA-MS-FL and have been chased about by hurricanes (David, Katrina, Issac, etc.) and typhoons in Guam (Paka). My point is every place to live has some shortfalls; which is the lessor of the evils or has acceptable risks for you.

As a side note, if you see me moving into your neighborhood, get more homeowners insurance. :d
Generally states which do not have state income taxes usually make it in sales taxes or property taxes. Take a look at NE Tennessee, like Jonesborough or Johnson City area. Very low crime, very low criminal element presence. Great scenery and right by the Appalachian Trail/Smoky Mountains. Zero tornados or hurricanes. Low/no natural disasters other than the occasional flood, but if you choose wisely for ur home site, that can be mitigated completely.
Utah also excels in several key factors.

This is a great resource to search data on towns and cities of all sizes, nation wide. Crime, pop, job, natural disaster, earnings, demographic data and more. http://www.city-data.com/
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:50 am

John_ wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:40 am
http://www.city-data.com/
This has been my go-to source for many years. Very good info.
John_ wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:40 am
which do not have state income taxes usually make it in sales taxes or property taxes
Paying 10.25% sales tax where I am at now. State sales tax is 4.55% the rest is parish & city. BOHICA!
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:11 am

I'm doing those same calculations, maybe it deserves a separate thread.

How do you write an Excel formula for a wife who says "I'll be damned if you are going to retire while I am still working!"?

It's my fault really. I should of taken these things into account when I saw a pretty young thing in a bar 37 years ago.
Last edited by ncjw on Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

Badgerboy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 999

Post by Badgerboy » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:18 am

Here's what I am hoarding...
Attachments
image007.jpg
image007.jpg (77.71 KiB) Viewed 1531 times
0 x
If Progress means 'to move forward'...what does Congress mean?

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Post by TL1000RSquid » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:27 am

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:34 am
John_ wrote:

Tornado's will vary by which part of the state, I'm in Montgomery county which is right next to the northern side of Harris Co(Houston) and in the 3+ years here only recall 2 or 3 tornados making the local news all with no injuries or deaths and I think only 1 was in this county. Tornados aren't too much higher on my concern list here then they were in NY. Further north you go the higher the risk.
0 x

Badgerboy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Badgerboy » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:35 am

[/quote]

Tornado's will vary by which part of the state, I'm in Montgomery county which is right next to the northern side of Harris Co(Houston) and in the 3+ years here only recall 2 or 3 tornados making the local news all with no injuries or deaths and I think only 1 was in this county. Tornados aren't too much higher on my concern list here then they were in NY. Further north you go the higher the risk.
[/quote]

We had tornados Tues eve/night. The area is still cleaning up. The newspaper today says there were a confirmed 15 tornados in this 2 county area, and flooding is the worry now.
0 x

John_

Post by John_ » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:28 pm

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:50 am
This has been my go-to source for many years. Very good info.

Great minds think alike :-?
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:16 pm

ncjw wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:11 am
I should of taken these things into account when a saw a pretty young thing in a bar 37 years ago.
40.5 years
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage

Badgerboy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Badgerboy » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:53 pm

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:16 pm
ncjw wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:11 am
40.5 years
Wow, that poor lady is going to heaven for sure... o:-)
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:54 pm

Badgerboy wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:53 pm
Wow, that poor lady is going to heaven for sure..
yup...
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage

Crosspower

Post by Crosspower » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:28 am

9mm and .223 I keep a good stock on hand. .380 and 10mm I see as limited use and probably only have 500 rds max each. Maybe have 1000 .22 and probably should get more shotgun shells. Doubt if I have 100 but I never shoot it.
I do not have food or water reserves yet. You know how fast the stores will empty out if the trucks stop rolling. It's very boring, but my to do list should be buying some emergency food supplies and water.
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:55 pm

Water bladders that can be filled up in the tub are a good start. Water needs to calculated by the person (5 gal/day) and cats/dogs (1 gal/day) you have. It add up quick. In the short run you can sustain with less, but for a longer haul, water is life.
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:31 am

John_ wrote:
Texas, around the Wichita Falls area. I contacted the state and I'm able to apply for 3-4 different homestead exemptions. Biggest being I'm a VA rated, service-connected disabled vet.
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage

John_

Post by John_ » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:34 am

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:31 am
John_ wrote:
Texas, around the Wichita Falls area. I contacted the state and I'm able to apply for 3-4 different homestead exemptions. Biggest being I'm a VA rated, service-connected disabled vet.
Cool. Pop 105,000 demographics appear favorable. Lower crime.
0 x

Badgerboy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Badgerboy » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:41 am

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:31 am
[/quote]
Be sure to build an extra room for me.
0 x

John Snow
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 190

Post by John Snow » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:49 am

With all the rhetoric coming from the Left regarding "gun control", I'm definitely going to start taking advantage of some of the ammo deals I'm seeing. Especially how cheap 22lr is right now, along with 9mm and 223/5.56. Given all the bluster coming from the Left, I do really think in a couple few years, we're (as gun owners) are going to see a worse situation than we did in 2012. I think it's about time I also take a serious look at re-loadiing, and start stocking up on components soon. I'm not a "doomsday prepper" but I want to be able to enjoy my hobby for years to come, and share that with the grandkids someday.
2 x

Bub

Post by Bub » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:20 pm

I cast my lead bullets and buy my jacketed ones. I have noticed that Rotometals has raised their lead prices, (I was buying foundry lead and mixing it with soft lead to make Lyman #2), and not as many good hard lead deals on ebay. Clip on wheel weights are about a thing of the past now. Get em while you can.
1 x