PC Carbine for Canik Mags

General Discussion Section for All Other Makes and Models of Handguns and Rifles, including Aftermarket Accessories. Please keep Canik Firearm discussions in the Canik section.
John Snow
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 190

PC Carbine for Canik Mags

Post by John Snow » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:25 am

I'm wanting to get a PCC that will accept Canik magazines. I've seen people in the past post on social media that they have a PCC that their Canik magazines work in. I can't seem to locate the old posts. I can't remember if it was a Kel-Tec, or what it was that you could use Canik mags in. I'm pretty sure it was the sub-2000. Anyway, does anyone have a PCC that accepts their Canik mags? How did you get it to work? The Ruger PCC looks pretty nice too, but I'm not sure there's a way to adapt it to Canik mags. Thanks for any help.
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Re: PC Carbine for Canik Mags

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:31 am

John Snow wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:25 am
The Ruger PCC looks pretty nice too
If you decide to go with the Ruger, take a look at the newest version. This is #1 on my buy list and will be topped with a HE510C-GR Elite.

https://ruger.com/products/pcCarbine/sp ... 19122.html
https://holosun.com/index.php?main_page ... ucts_id=63
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage

John Snow
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by John Snow » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:35 am

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:31 am
John Snow wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:25 am
The Ruger PCC looks pretty nice too
If you decide to go with the Ruger, take a look at the newest version. This is #1 on my buy list and will be topped with a HE510C-GR Elite.

https://ruger.com/products/pcCarbine/sp ... 19122.html
https://holosun.com/index.php?main_page ... ucts_id=63
That looks really nice, but unfortunately says it only works with Ruger and Glock mags. I wish there was a way to adapt Canik mags to it.
1 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:18 am

For $799 and 7.3 lbs and 17 rounds I don't see why a 16" AR15 (even with a 20 round mag) doesn't do all that and more.
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:31 am

ncjw wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:18 am
For $799 and 7.3 lbs and 17 rounds I don't see why a 16" AR15 (even with a 20 round mag) doesn't do all that and more.
You can get them in the low $600's right now.
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage

colonel00

Post by colonel00 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:48 am

I'd be surprised if anyone was actually producing them with Canik still being a niche market. You might expand your search to see if anyone has made one that works with the CZ mags that are basically the same as the Caniks. Still, I"m guessing that if someone did do it, it was a custom build that took a lot of tinkering.

Another option is a PCC on the AR platform using standard Pmags. Works quite well.

2 x

keltex78
Founding Member #: 1616

Post by keltex78 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:27 pm

Yeah, the KelTec Sub2k has a model that will accept TP9-series mags. There is a multi-mag option, that lets you swap the catch for different model mags.

Here's some info:
https://www.mcarbo.com/kel-tec-sub-2000 ... ained.aspx

Editing to add... That's the one on my short wish list. b-)
2 x
(*) Buy a couple of boxes of 124 gr. WWB NATO to break in the stiff RSA. Cheap, and shoots great in the Canik! (*)

colonel00

Post by colonel00 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:23 pm

That's interesting. Good to know.
0 x

Badgerboy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 999

Post by Badgerboy » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:32 pm

Why need Canik mags when Glock mags are so cheap? Keep your Canik mags for your pistols and buy a passel of Glock mags of all sizes, colors and flavors for your PCC.
2 x
If Progress means 'to move forward'...what does Congress mean?

John Snow
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by John Snow » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:36 pm

keltex78 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:27 pm
Yeah, the KelTec Sub2k has a model that will accept TP9-series mags. There is a multi-mag option, that lets you swap the catch for different model mags.

Here's some info:
https://www.mcarbo.com/kel-tec-sub-2000 ... ained.aspx

Editing to add... That's the one on my short wish list. b-)
Thanks! That's probably what I saw before, and what I'm looking for.
0 x

John Snow
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by John Snow » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:40 pm

colonel00 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:48 am
Another option is a PCC on the AR platform using standard Pmags. Works quite well.
Standard Pmags? As in 223? Or are they Pmags that are specifically for 9mm rounds? I'm not familiar with this option. Also, is that a 223 lower, with a 9mm upper then?
0 x

colonel00

Post by colonel00 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:24 pm

John Snow wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:40 pm
colonel00 wrote:
Standard Pmags? As in 223? Or are they Pmags that are specifically for 9mm rounds? I'm not familiar with this option. Also, is that a 223 lower, with a 9mm upper then?
They are 9mm inserts for standard pmags. Look up Endomag. They work great and if you're familiar with the AR platform, everything works exactly the same
0 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Post by TL1000RSquid » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:53 pm

John Snow wrote:
colonel00 wrote:
I've seen 9mm inserts that go in .223 mags not sure how those work. I had a 9mm AR that used a magblock that goes in the 5.56 magwell so it would fit 9mm Sten mags worked pretty good, if you go that route go with a metal block not cheap plastic 3d printed stuff. IMO best option is dedicated pistol lower no worries about needing different buffer or spring, and taking standard Glock mags makes the mags cheap I have several 31rd ETS glock mags that I got for like $10ea on black friday and they function perfect, magpul also makes cheap aftermarket glock mags though I've had some issues with them, KCI are Korean Glock mag knock offs I paid like $14ea for a couple 33's and they work perfect as well. PSA usually has complete 9mm ar setup on the cheap once a week in the daily deals($4xx)
0 x

colonel00

Post by colonel00 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:14 pm

Here's what they look like. So far I haven't had one hiccup but I only have a few hundred rounds through them. However, there are guys on AR15.com that are running them in full auto PCCs without issue.

1 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Post by TL1000RSquid » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:35 pm

How much do they run? I've got an ammo crate full of brand new pmags so I got plenty to spare but have a feeling the kits are probably spendy. IF I do get a 3rd PCC in 9mm I'll get an AR again.
0 x

colonel00

Post by colonel00 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:52 am

They are $30 a piece or 3 for $80. Definitely not cheap but worth money if you want to run standard AR type mags. I'm using them because I went with the CMMG Radial Delayed Blowback system in that build and these things work perfectly with it. I figure if I eventually pickup 9 of them, I'm pretty set for enough mags that can be loaded and ready before I need to reload. And, if you have a plate carrier, belt system or whatever setup to hold AR mags, you don't have to change anything to run this system for competitions or anything.

Here's the sell that got me. Basically, I have an AR lower that I can use on multiple calibers, not just 9mm with a heavy buffer. The CMMG system is designed to run off of a standard AR carbine buffer and spring. That's a huge advantage depending on your needs. I'm building up a "matched" set that will be 9mm, 5.56, and 300 BLK (for now) but it should work with just about any caliber. This is a great option if you're looking to SBR a lower but I'm fine with pistol braces. Again though, I can have a lower setup that can shoot at least 3 calibers with just a swap of the upper. Now, I do plan to set them all up to shoot suppressed and I'll have adjustable gas blocks on the 5.56 and 300BLK just to tune them better.

I have a PSA AR9 setup that works fine and runs Glock mags but it shoots fairly rough. Still fun but it could be better. To me, the PSA AR9 is more of a truck gun. While I wouldn't consider it "cheap", if I parked in the truck and it happened to be stolen or whatever, it isn't the biggest loss ever. Plus, I can keep it with a G19 or something and have dual capabilities with the same ammo and mags.

This build I'm working on now is more of a "show" set that looks cool with the tungsten cerakote and everything but I plan to have it all store in a single portable, Pelican case with the lower and all three uppers and ammo. More of a SHTF "go case" or whatever that can be ready to move and I have options of different calibers. I'm not big into the prepper or doomsday stuff but I do think that it's a least a good idea to have quickly accessible options for certain scenarios...like tornados here in the Midwest or boating accidents... Same reason I have a Ruger 10/22 Takedown outfitted with survival stuff (still need to make a post on that) along with a Walther P22 in a Ukulele case that is always ready to go and will ride along on road trips, hunting/fishing trips. etc.

Another point is if something should happen and my lower is damaged, inoperable, confiscated, "bought back", lost in a boating accident etc., I can just slap this upper on any AR15 lower and as long as I have these mags with it, I should be good to go.

Oh, did I mention that people say this system in 9mm is very close to shooting an MP5? I've never shot an MP5 so I can't speak to that personally but I know how they are regarded in being very soft and remaining on target. If anyone has an MP5, please invite me out to shoot. Especially an MP5SD :D

Edit: Sorry for the long post that is kinda off topic. Perhaps a good discussion for another dedicated thread.
Last edited by colonel00 on Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

colonel00

Post by colonel00 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:14 am

John Snow wrote:
colonel00 wrote:
Just to clarify for your question, everything is standard AR parts except the barrel and bcg. This is what I have but wait for them to come into stock in smaller dealers sites and you can get it for under $300

https://www.primaryarms.com/cmmg-radial ... assembly-5
0 x