Tungsten SFX Cerakote Sonic Clean(s off)

Focused Discussions for all Canik Firearms. (TP Series, P Series, Shark, Stingray & MKEK)
Post Reply
Msieg080
Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:14 am

Tungsten SFX Cerakote Sonic Clean(s off)

Post by Msieg080 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:00 am

I approached 500 rnds on my new SFX and getting ready for some competition shoots (still debating adjustable sights or red dot and I want to be eligible for IDPA) and needed to work on the trigger some more...

So like any gun loving owner, I drop it in the sonic cleaner that has simple green airplane cleaner, it’s the lowest concentration and I’ll double check the ratio (1:32 comes to mind). Well the Cerakote doesn’t seem to like it. =(( I know some have mentioned the Cerakote quality isn’t the best but I never expected it to strip it. Oh well, guess I can finally get that custom gold TiN coated slide!

Anyone else use sonic cleaner? What solution do you use?
0 x

ncjw
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 1392
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:16 am

Re: Tungsten SFX Cerakote Sonic Clean(s off)

Post by ncjw » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:23 am

Msieg080 wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:00 am
I approached 500 rnds on my new SFX and getting ready for some competition shoots (still debating adjustable sights or red dot and I want to be eligible for IDPA) and needed to work on the trigger some more...

So like any gun loving owner, I drop it in the sonic cleaner that has simple green airplane cleaner, it’s the lowest concentration and I’ll double check the ratio (1:32 comes to mind). Well the Cerakote doesn’t seem to like it. =(( I know some have mentioned the Cerakote quality isn’t the best but I never expected it to strip it. Oh well, guess I can finally get that custom gold TiN coated slide!

Anyone else use sonic cleaner? What solution do you use?
Pictures!
1 x

User avatar
LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Posts: 2980
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:17 am
Founding Member #: 7599
Location: Louisiana

Re: Tungsten SFX Cerakote Sonic Clean(s off)

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:32 am

Msieg080 wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:00 am
Anyone else use sonic cleaner? What solution do you use?
Yes I do use a sonic cleaner with Simple Green at roughly the same concentration. I have cleaned pieces of my SFx (internals) and slides of M&P's without issue.
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image Image Image

Msieg080
Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:14 am

Re: Tungsten SFX Cerakote Sonic Clean(s off)

Post by Msieg080 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:47 am

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:32 am
Msieg080 wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:00 am
Anyone else use sonic cleaner? What solution do you use?
Yes I do use a sonic cleaner with Simple Green at roughly the same concentration. I have cleaned pieces of my SFx (internals) and slides of M&P's without issue.
What!!!? I think I’ll dump my mix and refill... I don’t think it’s rub marks or residue... @LT USN (Ret.) are you using the aircraft solution or just normal simple green?

Image Image
0 x

User avatar
LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Posts: 2980
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:17 am
Founding Member #: 7599
Location: Louisiana

Re: Tungsten SFX Cerakote Sonic Clean(s off)

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:44 am

Msieg080 wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:47 am
normal simple green
^^^^^^^^^
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image Image Image

User avatar
Sandpaper
Member
Posts: 155
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:43 pm

Re: Tungsten SFX Cerakote Sonic Clean(s off)

Post by Sandpaper » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:30 pm

The m&p is not cerakoted, correct?
0 x
How do I delete my profile?

colonel00
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 1105
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:36 am
Location: Kansas City Area

Re: Tungsten SFX Cerakote Sonic Clean(s off)

Post by colonel00 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:58 pm

ncjw wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:23 am
Msieg080 wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:00 am
I approached 500 rnds on my new SFX and getting ready for some competition shoots (still debating adjustable sights or red dot and I want to be eligible for IDPA) and needed to work on the trigger some more...

So like any gun loving owner, I drop it in the sonic cleaner that has simple green airplane cleaner, it’s the lowest concentration and I’ll double check the ratio (1:32 comes to mind). Well the Cerakote doesn’t seem to like it. =(( I know some have mentioned the Cerakote quality isn’t the best but I never expected it to strip it. Oh well, guess I can finally get that custom gold TiN coated slide!

Anyone else use sonic cleaner? What solution do you use?
Pictures!
Yes, pics please
0 x

Msieg080
Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:14 am

Re: Tungsten SFX Cerakote Sonic Clean(s off)

Post by Msieg080 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:08 pm

colonel00 wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:58 pm
ncjw wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:23 am

Pictures!
Yes, pics please
You can see the faded areas all around the slide in the above pics...maybe one more dunk and I can call it tungsten camo! Or marbled tungsten!
1 x

colonel00
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 1105
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:36 am
Location: Kansas City Area

Re: Tungsten SFX Cerakote Sonic Clean(s off)

Post by colonel00 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:50 pm

My bad, I skimmed right past them. The small thumbnails didn't really show the issue and I was expecting more.
0 x

User avatar
LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Posts: 2980
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:17 am
Founding Member #: 7599
Location: Louisiana

Re: Tungsten SFX Cerakote Sonic Clean(s off)

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:23 pm

Sandpaper wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:30 pm
The m&p is not cerakoted, correct?
Correct, it is not.
1 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image Image Image

User avatar
LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Posts: 2980
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:17 am
Founding Member #: 7599
Location: Louisiana

Re: Tungsten SFX Cerakote Sonic Clean(s off)

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:25 pm

Was the slide clear of all other objects in the sonic cleaner and resting on its bottom (vice on a side)?
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image Image Image

Msieg080
Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:14 am

Re: Tungsten SFX Cerakote Sonic Clean(s off)

Post by Msieg080 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:36 pm

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:25 pm
Was the slide clear of all other objects in the sonic cleaner and resting on its bottom (vice on a side)?
The barrel was in there too, but neither can really move sitting in the basket, and yes, on the bottom as it sits on top of the frame.
0 x

Post Reply