Holster Question: Self-Defense vs. Competition

Discussion section for Everyday Carry items, Preparedness and Self Defense, including Knives, Packs, Filtration Systems, Bushcraft, etc.
qballbandit
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:52 pm
Location: Illinois

Holster Question: Self-Defense vs. Competition

Post by qballbandit » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:29 pm

Evening folks,
Looking to purchase my first holster so I can start practicing and become comfortable with drawing a shooting during dry fire practice. (looking to take CCW sometime in spring or early summer).
I am not sure where my comfort lies yet, IWB or OWB, so have been paying close attention to all threads here holster related, in particular holsters that can be used both ways.
One question comes to mind - are there specific things I should look for in a carry/self-defense holster vs. a competition holster? My focus is purely self-defense shooting so want to educate myself on the important needs for this type of holster.

Thanks for any insight, it's much appreciated! :smile:

Neil 8-)
0 x
"Train Smart, Train Often, And Train Safe"

User avatar
Janik
Staff Member
Posts: 1640
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:59 pm
Founding Member #: 001
Location: Iowa
Contact:

Re: Holster Question: Self-Defense vs. Competition

Post by Janik » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:41 pm

I'm not much of a competitor yet, so most my holsters are for CCW. Though I do now have two holsters for competition, though one of them also serves as an OWB holster. When it comes to competition, it depends on what you're shooting, such as USPSA, IDPA, 3gun, etc., and that will play a part in which holster you get. For USPSA, I went with this one from SMC. https://smokymtnconcealment.com/collect ... on-holster

I'm currently looking at a Clinger Wonder holster for IWB, and purchasing the additional clips so it can also be used OWB. https://clingerholsters.com/product/v3- ... r-holster/

There's a variety of holsters out there, both kydex and leather. Knowing how you intend to carry the gun will help in your holster selection. I haven't tried the Clinger yet, but it seems to get a lot of positive feedback, and they say it does help conceal the grip very well.
0 x

User avatar
LEOJIM
Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:08 am
Location: Indiana

Re: Holster Question: Self-Defense vs. Competition

Post by LEOJIM » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:07 am

I'm not going to do any competition shouting or carry my SFX as a EDC. It will be just a range gun, so I would like a lower riding holder, almost cowboy style.
0 x

User avatar
GlennSFX
Global Moderator
Posts: 1198
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:47 pm
Founding Member #: 011
Location: MA

Re: Holster Question: Self-Defense vs. Competition

Post by GlennSFX » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:25 am

LEOJIM wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:07 am
I would like a lower riding holder, almost cowboy style.

All you need is a holster hanger like the Boss that will let you drop the position of where the holster is mounted. It's really a competition hanger but obviously can be used for range use. You'd want to get a Tek-Lok so the hanger can be easily attached and removed from your belt. The Boss hanger is typically mounted to a competition rig and stays there.

https://blade-tech.com/products/attachments

https://benstoegerproshop.com/bsps-boss ... ount-only/

Image
1 x

User avatar
GlennSFX
Global Moderator
Posts: 1198
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:47 pm
Founding Member #: 011
Location: MA

Re: Holster Question: Self-Defense vs. Competition

Post by GlennSFX » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:59 am

qballbandit wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:29 pm
Evening folks,
Looking to purchase my first holster so I can start practicing and become comfortable with drawing a shooting during dry fire practice. (looking to take CCW sometime in spring or early summer).
I am not sure where my comfort lies yet, IWB or OWB, so have been paying close attention to all threads here holster related, in particular holsters that can be used both ways.
One question comes to mind - are there specific things I should look for in a carry/self-defense holster vs. a competition holster? My focus is purely self-defense shooting so want to educate myself on the important needs for this type of holster.

Thanks for any insight, it's much appreciated! :smile:

Neil 8-)
When starting out it is safer and makes sense to begin with a OWB holster. It's all about developing proper technique and safely handling the gun. Become proficient OWB then transition to IWB. IWB holsters involves positioning the gun properly (cant) depending upon where it is being carried. This is to make the draw process as efficient as possible. With IWB you'll also be dealing with concealment. IWB drawing will involve clearing cover garments which introduces another element into the draw, and can create safety issues when reholstering. There's plenty of discussions of clothing causing accidental discharges.

SIG Academy discussing basing holster draw.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq-_AADQ-Uo

Police chief shoots self...Accidental Discharge due to clothing...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrJMQupYxaw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7SWx3znXTI
1 x

User avatar
higgybaby
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 574
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:05 pm
Founding Member #: 015
Location: Mobile, Alabama

Re: Holster Question: Self-Defense vs. Competition

Post by higgybaby » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:05 am

I agree with Glen......go OWB first.
I can not speak to comp shooting, but SD carry I can. I will say this- the bigger the gun- the bigger the problem with IWB. I understand that "some" folks can carry a cannon in their pants- but most folks can not.

I highly recommend the MDJ Hybrid leather backed kydex OWB holster- I have 4. One of the best bangs for the buck out there.
They are economical ~ $40, and they wear comfortably. IMO- that is the best place to start. If it turns out that you want something else later?....at least you haven't spent near $100!
0 x

User avatar
LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Posts: 1494
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:17 am
Founding Member #: 7599
Location: Louisiana

Re: Holster Question: Self-Defense vs. Competition

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:54 am

Also take a look at Alien Gear holsters. I have an OWB for 4 different models of guns. That is what I wear most all of the time.

I agree with the OWB vice IWB as a starter and, unless you are drawing from the holster at the range, practice with what you will wear. A manual of arms is just as important with a holster as it is with a firearm.
2 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage

qballbandit
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:52 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Holster Question: Self-Defense vs. Competition

Post by qballbandit » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:37 pm

I appreciate the great feedback, guys. Gives me a solid starting point.
Many thanks!

Neil 8-)
0 x
"Train Smart, Train Often, And Train Safe"

smokee
Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:26 pm
Location: SW Mountains @8000'

Re: Holster Question: Self-Defense vs. Competition

Post by smokee » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:23 am

Very good advice so far about starting out with an OWB holster and clothing issues to pay attention to.

Remember to slow down and pay very close attention to finger off the trigger and no clothing interference when reholstering. That is the time that bad things can happen to the inattentive.
0 x

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor
Posts: 615
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:10 pm

Re: Holster Question: Self-Defense vs. Competition

Post by Tejas Products » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:21 am

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:54 am
Also take a look at Alien Gear holsters. I have an OWB for 4 different models of guns. That is what I wear most all of the time.

I agree with the OWB vice IWB as a starter and, unless you are drawing from the holster at the range, practice with what you will wear. A manual of arms is just as important with a holster as it is with a firearm.
As with LT, I have the Alien Gear shape shift system, It allows me to switch between, 2 types of OWB, IWB, Appendix Carry as well. And it's a lot cheaper if you decide to switch guns...
0 x
Beware of Dragons. For you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

ranebowcyxx
Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:28 pm

Re: Holster Question: Self-Defense vs. Competition

Post by ranebowcyxx » Tue May 14, 2019 12:14 pm

I too have Alien gear, the IWB for my CCP is very comfortable and use their OWB as well. Just received a new shell for the Canik but did not specify the SFx. It will fit an elite though. I like just being able to order a shell for different guns
I have tried a couple of different holsters, the Alien Gear works for my body. Just make sure it is comfortable so you dont fidget.
0 x

colonel00
Member
Posts: 256
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:36 am
Location: Kansas City Area

Re: Holster Question: Self-Defense vs. Competition

Post by colonel00 » Tue May 14, 2019 1:53 pm

ranebowcyxx wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 12:14 pm
I too have Alien gear, the IWB for my CCP is very comfortable and use their OWB as well. Just received a new shell for the Canik but did not specify the SFx. It will fit an elite though. I like just being able to order a shell for different guns
I have tried a couple of different holsters, the Alien Gear works for my body. Just make sure it is comfortable so you dont fidget.
They have Shape Shift shells for Canik now? I'm not seeing them listed on their site. All I see is standard holsters for the SA but nothing regarding the Shape Shift.
0 x

ranebowcyxx
Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:28 pm

Re: Holster Question: Self-Defense vs. Competition

Post by ranebowcyxx » Tue May 14, 2019 8:38 pm

colonel00 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 1:53 pm
ranebowcyxx wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 12:14 pm
I too have Alien gear, the IWB for my CCP is very comfortable and use their OWB as well. Just received a new shell for the Canik but did not specify the SFx. It will fit an elite though. I like just being able to order a shell for different guns
I have tried a couple of different holsters, the Alien Gear works for my body. Just make sure it is comfortable so you dont fidget.
They have Shape Shift shells for Canik now? I'm not seeing them listed on their site. All I see is standard holsters for the SA but nothing regarding the Shape Shift.
They I have the Cloak Mod 4.0 that is what I have
0 x

colonel00
Member
Posts: 256
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:36 am
Location: Kansas City Area

Re: Holster Question: Self-Defense vs. Competition

Post by colonel00 » Tue May 14, 2019 8:57 pm

Ok, so not the ShapeShift system where you order different shells then. You just got an OWB holster. I still don't see a Cloak Mod 4.0 (the 4.0 is the ShapeShift as far as I understand it) but whatever. Hopefully they will come out with ShapeShift stuff soon.
0 x

soontobetrash
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:14 pm

Re: Holster Question: Self-Defense vs. Competition

Post by soontobetrash » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:45 pm

Tejas Products wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:21 am
LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:54 am
Also take a look at Alien Gear holsters. I have an OWB for 4 different models of guns. That is what I wear most all of the time.

I agree with the OWB vice IWB as a starter and, unless you are drawing from the holster at the range, practice with what you will wear. A manual of arms is just as important with a holster as it is with a firearm.
As with LT, I have the Alien Gear shape shift system, It allows me to switch between, 2 types of OWB, IWB, Appendix Carry as well. And it's a lot cheaper if you decide to switch guns...
Is it possible to carry TP9SFX appendix with the Alien Gear IWB holster?
0 x

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor
Posts: 615
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:10 pm

Re: Holster Question: Self-Defense vs. Competition

Post by Tejas Products » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:48 pm

soontobetrash wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:45 pm
Tejas Products wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:21 am
LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:54 am
Also take a look at Alien Gear holsters. I have an OWB for 4 different models of guns. That is what I wear most all of the time.

I agree with the OWB vice IWB as a starter and, unless you are drawing from the holster at the range, practice with what you will wear. A manual of arms is just as important with a holster as it is with a firearm.
As with LT, I have the Alien Gear shape shift system, It allows me to switch between, 2 types of OWB, IWB, Appendix Carry as well. And it's a lot cheaper if you decide to switch guns...
Is it possible to carry TP9SFX appendix with the Alien Gear IWB holster?
No... You need a specific appendix holster for that... I mean, I guess you could but not sure how comfortable that would be.....

Dang, you guys that carry appendix.... You got more grit than me... Having a 9mm pointed at my junk... no way Jose'
3 x
Beware of Dragons. For you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

qballbandit
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:52 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Holster Question: Self-Defense vs. Competition

Post by qballbandit » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:10 pm

So, since I started this thread, I've come quite a long way this year. Private classes, CC class/qualification, holster draw training, and on to defensive pistol courses and force-on-force training.
For fun, I was messing with IWB appendix draw with an instructors holster and training gun. Understandably, everything takes practice, but my initial thoughts were that I don't feel comfortable in the press out after the draw. The need to sort of pivot your arm through this awkward rear turn before pressing out doesn't feel right. Physics tells me, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line, so when I draw from my more comfortable and practiced 8, 9, 10 o'clock positions (lefty here), my shoulder pivot to the press is much more natural with less wasted movement to get on target, quickly.
Am I just not getting the appendix draw concept? Would enjoy hearing from those who are more proficient with this style.

Best wishes,

Neil 8-)
0 x
"Train Smart, Train Often, And Train Safe"

Texf6
Member
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:05 am
Location: Texas

Re: Holster Question: Self-Defense vs. Competition

Post by Texf6 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:09 am

Well, you've probably figured this out by now. Versacarry Protector 2 series is a basic jackslide style leather holster that has leather proctecting your body against the firearm. I west form shape each one to the firearm that it is assigned to. Probably like most here, I have a drawer full of holster styles in search of "the one" for my edc. This one has answer the bell as it rides close and covers well. Just wish that I could recoup the $ on all those that looked right but didn't answer the bell for me. Good luck in your continued path of improvement. We all in some way walk the same road.
0 x

Lgaam
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:02 pm
Founding Member #: 080
Location: Central Florida

Re: Holster Question: Self-Defense vs. Competition

Post by Lgaam » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:33 am

Now, see... I find the appendix draw to be much more efficient. On the draw, the muzzle naturally moves forward as soon as I'm clear of the holster. My support hand is already flat against my body because I pulled up my cover garment. As the pistol comes up to near a pectoral index, my elbow is low against my side, not kicked out or back like a 8 or 9 o'clock draw. The press out and marry up of the support hand is just like coming from a compressed ready or Sul position ready.

I really appreciated appendix when I was recovering from a shoulder issue. Flexing and reaching behind the hip was out of the question, but grabbing right at the front of the body was still doable.

I'm a concealed carrier; I haven't been able to find time to try competition. I also like the appendix draw for being much lower profile. The shoulder and elbow don't telegraph nearly as much. I am consistently way under 2 seconds beep to bang (click, actually.. dry fire) on a 21' target, though I've confirmed it on a live range a few times.
0 x

Texf6
Member
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:05 am
Location: Texas

Re: Holster Question: Self-Defense vs. Competition

Post by Texf6 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:48 pm

Appreciate your perspective particularly in relationship to your shoulder surgery.
0 x

Post Reply