Tools for the home gunsmith

General Discussion Section for All Other Makes and Models of Handguns and Rifles, including Aftermarket Accessories. Please keep Canik Firearm discussions in the Canik section.
User avatar
Ghostwolf308
Staff Member
Posts: 346
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:26 pm
Founding Member #: 009

Tools for the home gunsmith

Post by Ghostwolf308 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:10 pm

Now the we bought our house i am going to strt upgrading my tools for my home smithing. What tools do you guys use for home smithing? Trying to get a list together so i can have everything i need to work on my pistols, ars and rifles.
0 x

User avatar
TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Posts: 1123
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:24 pm
Founding Member #: 007
Location: Texas

Re: Tools for the home gunsmith

Post by TL1000RSquid » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:44 pm

Vice, sight pusher, a few punch sets(rollpin, nylon, metal), various style files, mallets, gunsmith hammer, heavy duty AR multi tool, picks, few decent screw drivers, hex driver for glock front sights, dremel, calipers/micrometer, scale, trigger pull scale, bench block for driving out pins and what not, ar vice jigs. Depending how deep your diving into might want some more gun specific tools and jigs, drill press, hydraulic press etc.
1 x

HeliarcLee
Member
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:36 am

Re: Tools for the home gunsmith

Post by HeliarcLee » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:50 pm

As someone who works with hand tools daily. When buying hex bits or allen wrenches, buy the highest quality you can afford. They will fit better and give you much less of a chance to strip out tiny optic screws.
1 x

User avatar
Ghostwolf308
Staff Member
Posts: 346
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:26 pm
Founding Member #: 009

Re: Tools for the home gunsmith

Post by Ghostwolf308 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:37 pm

Like what im seeing so far. @TL1000RSquid i also plan to work on my bolt guns in the future with barrel swaps and so forth. I know i need go/no go gauges and a barrel wrench. I plan on getting the dremel 9100 some time this year for polishing and so forth as well. Thought about getting a palm router and small bench top drill press to mill out 80% lowers but not 100% on that yet.

@Weapon where you at on this.
0 x

User avatar
Badgerboy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 927
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:08 am
Founding Member #: 999

Re: Tools for the home gunsmith

Post by Badgerboy » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:34 am

TL1000RSquid wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:44 pm
Vice, sight pusher, a few punch sets(rollpin, nylon, metal), various style files, mallets, gunsmith hammer, heavy duty AR multi tool, picks, few decent screw drivers, hex driver for glock front sights, dremel, calipers/micrometer, scale, trigger pull scale, bench block for driving out pins and what not, ar vice jigs. Depending how deep your diving into might want some more gun specific tools and jigs, drill press, hydraulic press etc.
...and the number of the local gunsmith when I screw something up.
1 x
If Progress means 'to move forward'...what does Congress mean?

User avatar
Ghostwolf308
Staff Member
Posts: 346
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:26 pm
Founding Member #: 009

Re: Tools for the home gunsmith

Post by Ghostwolf308 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:26 am

@Badgerboy i dont u der take projects im. Not comfortable with. I plan on starting to polish milspec ar triggers but have one sitting around not being used so i can work on it and if i screw up no biggie. But agreed the local gunsmith number is a must for those just in case moments
0 x

User avatar
TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Posts: 1123
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:24 pm
Founding Member #: 007
Location: Texas

Re: Tools for the home gunsmith

Post by TL1000RSquid » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:41 am

I know a couple local smiths that specialize in a few different gun types, so far I've not gotten myself in over my head with any projects... been a couple that took me a few days and a few dozen different youtube videos to figure out but so far I've always succeeded. I need to get myself a hydraulic press still so i can take on a few of my parts kits and finally make them complete.
0 x

User avatar
Weapon
Global Moderator
Posts: 392
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:08 pm
Founding Member #: 005

Re: Tools for the home gunsmith

Post by Weapon » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:30 pm

Never bought a bench block. I took a soft block of wood (pine) drilled some holes in it and sanded it smooth. It’s never left a mark in any gun. I have a second one I made out of block of UHMW I had left over from some other project. Same deal - drilled a few holes in it and sanded it smooth.

Sight pusher. They are fairly cheap now and save you all sorts of grief

A small sheet (8”x12”) of 1/4” thick tempered glass. You lightly wet it and then you can set sheets of wet/dry paper on it to lap sight bases and whatnot. It’s just about a perfectly level surface so no uneven lapping.

Punches. I have an old Arotek Glock tool that has been worth its weight in gold over the years - I couldn’t even guess at how many rifles and pistols it has helped disassemble and reassemble but it would be a lot and it is still working perfectly.

Lots of pin punches and roll punches. Hard to say which ones exactly as they vary by gun.

3M wet dry paper from 400grit up to at least 2000grit

Gunsmithing screwdriver and bit kit. You can always add additional bits to them like Torx, etc as needed but try to get ones that are made for gunsmithing. Brownells is always a good source.

Stainless dental picks (great for springs)

Some polishing stones. I will have to look up the specific ones I use later.

Needle files. At least one flat, one full round and one small square. Fine and ultra fine cut.

Dremel, various felt polishing wheels and polishing bits. Cut off wheels come in handy for shortening screws if needed. Sanding drums for grip mods.

Various types of polish and lapping compound. Really fine one like Flitz and then you will add others for this and that over time (like for lapping slides or scope rings and the like)

Torque wrench or torque driver in inch-lbs. Must have item - no way around it.

Jeweler’s magnification goggles. You can get them for cheap on Amazon. Essential for checking sear angles, hammer hooks and other small surfaces. I will look up mine and post the specs later

A bench polisher comes in handy for some things but it isn’t essential. The same is true for a drill press, small arbor press, etc. Nice to have but really only essential for large/heavy duty projects.

If you want to work on AKs, a 12 or 20 ton hydraulic shop press as well as most of the larger tools I just said are not essential other than for large projects.

If you want to work on many older military barreled actions, a large bench vise with several sets of jaw pads (nylon, leather, etc)

A good directional lamp. One with a magnifier is even better.

A huge coffee maker.

I will go through my kit and add some more later. I am forgetting quite a bit of stuff.
2 x

User avatar
TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Posts: 1123
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:24 pm
Founding Member #: 007
Location: Texas

Re: Tools for the home gunsmith

Post by TL1000RSquid » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:59 pm

Weapon wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:30 pm
Never bought a bench block. I took a soft block of wood (pine) drilled some holes in it and sanded it smooth. It’s never left a mark in any gun. I have a second one I made out of block of UHMW I had left over from some other project. Same deal - drilled a few holes in it and sanded it smooth.
Fancy, I've always just grabbed the nearest roll of masking or duct tape.
3 x

User avatar
Weapon
Global Moderator
Posts: 392
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:08 pm
Founding Member #: 005

Re: Tools for the home gunsmith

Post by Weapon » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:45 pm

TL1000RSquid wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:59 pm
Weapon wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:30 pm
Never bought a bench block. I took a soft block of wood (pine) drilled some holes in it and sanded it smooth. It’s never left a mark in any gun. I have a second one I made out of block of UHMW I had left over from some other project. Same deal - drilled a few holes in it and sanded it smooth.
Fancy, I've always just grabbed the nearest roll of masking or duct tape.
The roll of tape is the universal standby bench block. For whatever the reason, mine always seems to be 3M electric tape.
0 x

ncjw
Member
Posts: 812
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:16 am

Re: Tools for the home gunsmith

Post by ncjw » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:06 am

Long nose tweezers. For what one costs on Amazon you can usually get a set of various headed tweezers including the long angled nose. Still less than $10.
0 x

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor
Posts: 697
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:10 pm

Re: Tools for the home gunsmith

Post by Tejas Products » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:05 am

iPad to be able to watch YouTube videos on how to reassemble the gun. :-D
2 x
Beware of Dragons. For you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

User avatar
zeda3000
Member
Posts: 400
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:42 am
Location: Turkey

Re: Tools for the home gunsmith

Post by zeda3000 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:27 am

Leather Blanket for over Knee, This is very life saver for free systle jumping springs from Pistols during assembly. New pistols have many small springs ready fly away from pistol.
1 x

User avatar
TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Posts: 1123
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:24 pm
Founding Member #: 007
Location: Texas

Re: Tools for the home gunsmith

Post by TL1000RSquid » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:35 pm

zeda3000 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:27 am
Leather Blanket for over Knee, This is very life saver for free systle jumping springs from Pistols during assembly. New pistols have many small springs ready fly away from pistol.
I've yet to lose any pistol springs, however AR springs are another story, launch one into the ceiling fan and good luck ever finding it.
3 x

colonel00
Member
Posts: 338
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:36 am
Location: Kansas City Area

Re: Tools for the home gunsmith

Post by colonel00 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:47 pm

TL1000RSquid wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:35 pm
zeda3000 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:27 am
Leather Blanket for over Knee, This is very life saver for free systle jumping springs from Pistols during assembly. New pistols have many small springs ready fly away from pistol.
I've yet to lose any pistol springs, however AR springs are another story, launch one into the ceiling fan and good luck ever finding it.
Ha! Those stupid pivot and takedown springs and especially that pivot detent pin... I got smart and ordered I think 100 of each just to have on hand.
0 x

User avatar
zeda3000
Member
Posts: 400
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:42 am
Location: Turkey

Re: Tools for the home gunsmith

Post by zeda3000 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:50 pm

TL1000RSquid wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:35 pm
zeda3000 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:27 am
Leather Blanket for over Knee, This is very life saver for free systle jumping springs from Pistols during assembly. New pistols have many small springs ready fly away from pistol.
I've yet to lose any pistol springs, however AR springs are another story, launch one into the ceiling fan and good luck ever finding it.
Canik models doesnt Comes with Safety in US Models , but my model has safety. It was so hard. Almost impossible to change safety with two hands. Canik send me new safety and spring free of Charge. Easy part to take off the Safety. Hard pard re-assembly to new Safety cause it is one spring and two micro mini steel balls. They know it will be problem steel ball could fly away. They send me 2 pairs extra. I lost all of one of them :))))) I went gun smith , he lost second one :))) balls fly like crazy and it is so small , canf find it.

Next week, Canik send technical guy to resassembly . He lost last one , but he find back :)) After 5th attend he put the safety back.
0 x

User avatar
LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Posts: 1666
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:17 am
Founding Member #: 7599
Location: Louisiana

Re: Tools for the home gunsmith

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:21 pm

Weapon wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:30 pm
A huge coffee maker.
"You're my boy, Blue!"
2 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage

ncjw
Member
Posts: 812
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:16 am

Re: Tools for the home gunsmith

Post by ncjw » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:43 pm

zeda3000 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:50 pm
Canik models doesnt Comes with Safety in US Models , but my model has safety.
Your Canik has a safety? TP9 series? Did I miss this earlier?

Please post pictures.
1 x

HeliarcLee
Member
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:36 am

Re: Tools for the home gunsmith

Post by HeliarcLee » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:12 pm

ncjw wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:43 pm
zeda3000 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:50 pm
Canik models doesnt Comes with Safety in US Models , but my model has safety.
Your Canik has a safety? TP9 series? Did I miss this earlier?

Please post pictures.
Maybe he is talking about the CZ clone?
0 x

User avatar
runeight
Member
Posts: 1090
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:00 pm
Founding Member #: 198
Location: Southwest Desert

Re: Tools for the home gunsmith

Post by runeight » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:51 pm

Did anybody mention a bottle of Presto Mag in both Black and Blue?

Amazon the best, Blue goes on sale occasionally. Not used that much but still good to have on hand.
0 x
We are in a civil war..
..we just haven’t brought out the guns.

Post Reply