Mobile 1 Lube for TP9SA

Focused Discussions for all Canik Firearms. (TP Series, P Series, Shark, Stingray & MKEK)
GaCop

Mobile 1 Lube for TP9SA

Post by GaCop » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:30 am

While active LE, I attended a number of training courses with the AR platform that recommended Mobile 1 as a lube. I gave it a try and found it really works well. I use the 15-50 weight and it does a good job of lubing the AR. I've since tried it with my TP9SA and it is working well there too. being a heavier oil, it pretty much stays where you put it. I use it on my 1911 with great results too. Any other members using it?
Last edited by GaCop on Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Vietnam Vet - Jun 66 - Dec 67

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Re: Mobile 1 Lube for TP9SA

Post by TL1000RSquid » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:38 am

Yep, I use it on my pistols and rifles as well. I use automotive grease on certain areas as well big tub of it costs less then a little tube of gun specific grease.
3 x

Badgerboy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 999

Post by Badgerboy » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:36 am

Frog Lube baby! (another thread has this discussion ad nauseum) But Mobil 1 is good for most anything that needs lubrication...

Gun lube is like religion...many folks follow a particular path, but don't really know why.
2 x
If Progress means 'to move forward'...what does Congress mean?

DWARREN123

Post by DWARREN123 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:02 pm

I use a lighter weigh but have had good results.
A long time ago I was a M-50 gunner, my gun like 30 weight motor oil better than LSA or any other lube, it always ran right even with blanks.
2 x
Shut up and Reload!

Weapon
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 005

Post by Weapon » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:26 pm

Royal Purple 5w-20.
Sometimes Royal Purple mixed with something else like Marvel Mystery Oil or Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer.
1 x

Badgerboy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Badgerboy » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:31 pm

Lots of homemade concoctions, and it is fun to research and learn various things folks have mixed and tried. As I said, my primary choice is Frog Lube, for a variety of reasons...but in really cold weather, and some persnickety and particularly problem machines, I liquid-it-up and use a mix of 2/3 synthetic transmission fluid + 1/3 Marvel Mystery Oil.
1 x

Weapon
Global Moderator

Post by Weapon » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:32 am

Isn’t frog lube mostly coconut oil with a dab of green dye and wintergreen scent?

Seems like I saw an IR and an NMR spectrum analysis of coconut oil right next to FrogLube paste not long ago and they were virtually identical.

The paste seems to have virtually the same melting point as coconut oil as well.
0 x

Badgerboy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Badgerboy » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:39 pm

Weapon wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:32 am
Isn’t frog lube mostly coconut oil with a dab of green dye and wintergreen scent?

Seems like I saw an IR and an NMR spectrum analysis of coconut oil right next to FrogLube paste not long ago and they were virtually identical.

The paste seems to have virtually the same melting point as coconut oil as well.
You are correct, sir. It may have some other minor things to stabilize and keep it from going rancid, but the major constituent is coconut oil. Works well as a lube, unless too heavily slathered and cold. Works well as a protectant, because it coats well and stays in place. It seems to keep carbon and other firing products from sticking allowing easier cleanup after range sessions. Smells good, don't need gloves, can clean in the living room or kitchen without the wife complaining of fumes (besides, she has many other reasons to complain, for sure). I am a fan... :-BD
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:08 pm

Badgerboy wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:39 pm
but the major constituent is coconut oil
How's it taste?
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage

Weapon
Global Moderator

Post by Weapon » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:25 pm

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:08 pm
Badgerboy wrote:
How's it taste?
Like minty fresh coconut oil.
2 x

Badgerboy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Badgerboy » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:53 pm

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:08 pm
Badgerboy wrote:
How's it taste?
I stopped licking my pistols after the wife caught me. She was jealous. X_X
4 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:56 pm

Badgerboy wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:53 pm
I stopped licking my pistols after the wife caught me. She was jealous.
HOLD THE PRESSES! The line of the year on this blog has been won.

Now taking nominees for 2020.
2 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage

Texas1911

Post by Texas1911 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:30 pm

This is a thicker oil that's also very stringy. Stays in place. Much less oil splatter on the lenses of my Vortex.
0 x
American by the Grace of God, Marine by choice.

FrankW
Founding Member #: 013

Post by FrankW » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:57 am

Hi GaCop,

I don't use motor oil to lube or protect my guns. First off you won't get the same level of corrosion protection. Motor oil protects by emersion and you will need to keep you gun wet for the best protection. Motor oil does give good lubrication but I don't know how good that would be if the gun isn't wet with oil. If I was going to use Mobile 1 for gun protection then I would move up to Mobile Delvac Synthetic for its improved performance. For good lubrication, using motor products, I would be using Mobile Delvac Extreme Grease.

If you are looking for the best lubrication and corrosion protection I would study this http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667TEST and make my choice. There are products in this test using motor oil equivalents.

Frank
0 x

GaCop

Post by GaCop » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:19 am

FrankW wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:57 am
Hi GaCop,

I don't use motor oil to lube or protect my guns. First off you won't get the same level of corrosion protection. Motor oil protects by emersion and you will need to keep you gun wet for the best protection. Motor oil does give good lubrication but I don't know how good that would be if the gun isn't wet with oil. If I was going to use Mobile 1 for gun protection then I would move up to Mobile Delvac Synthetic for its improved performance. For good lubrication, using motor products, I would be using Mobile Delvac Extreme Grease.

If you are looking for the best lubrication and corrosion protection I would study this http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667TEST and make my choice. There are products in this test using motor oil equivalents.

Frank
Hi Frank,

I've been using Mobile 1- 15-50 weight for approximately 12 years now and have had no problems with corrosion to date or ceasing to function after a long period of heavy use. I'm no longer in the military so the chances of my weapons ending up submerged in salt water is pretty much nil, lol! The thicker 15-50 weight stays where I put it. I used to drowned my AR in the light weight oils and had to put up with oil all over my glasses or Bolle' goggles and clothing in order for them to run properly. No longer is that a problem with the heavy synthetic. The only weapons I own that I don't use Mobile 1 for are my black powder rifles. For those I use BC Barricade and never have rust problem when in long term storage. Being fully retired now, my firearms don't see very heavy use often but, when they do, they get a good cleaning/lube. It works for me but that doesn't necessarily mean it will work for others. :d
1 x

smokee

Post by smokee » Tue May 14, 2019 9:04 am

Shell Rotella 15w-40 synthetic diesel oil on all my 3gun firearms and all the other firearms as well. I've used it for years from 0F-90F with no issues. No corrosion issues ever but I live in a high dry climate where corrosion isn't much of an issue unless you get snow on your tactical bolt gun and forget it for a week. #-O .
When I change the oil in the 5.9L Cummins I have a multi-year supply left in the bottles after I let them sit in the sun for an hour. I've given several small precision oiler bottles of this to friends who also like it. YMMV
1 x

GaCop

Post by GaCop » Wed May 15, 2019 5:35 am

smokee wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:04 am
Shell Rotella 15w-40 synthetic diesel oil on all my 3gun firearms and all the other firearms as well. I've used it for years from 0F-90F with no issues. No corrosion issues ever but I live in a high dry climate where corrosion isn't much of an issue unless you get snow on your tactical bolt gun and forget it for a week. #-O .
When I change the oil in the 5.9L Cummins I have a multi-year supply left in the bottles after I let them sit in the sun for an hour. I've given several small precision oiler bottles of this to friends who also like it. YMMV
Good to know. I just may have to give it a try. thanks for the information!
0 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Wed May 15, 2019 6:18 am

GaCop wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 5:35 am
smokee wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:04 am
Good to know. I just may have to give it a try. thanks for the information!
Yep, same here. Good to know in about 5 years when my first quart of Mobile1 runs out...
1 x

Crosspower

Post by Crosspower » Wed May 15, 2019 7:49 am

I think any full synthetic is more than adequate. I use 0w20 0r 5w20 if going to the range and I'm shooting a lot. But for carry I will pick Balistol with a very light coating.
1 x