Practice Ammo

Discussion Section for Ammunition, Reloading and Handloading.
texan0718

Practice Ammo

Post by texan0718 » Fri May 10, 2019 3:26 pm

I love shooting my Elite so I wanted to ask what ammo is every one using to practice with?
0 x

HeliarcLee

Re: Practice Ammo

Post by HeliarcLee » Fri May 10, 2019 3:28 pm

I’ve shot nothing but 115 grain fiocchi fmj through my DA so far. About 450 rounds with only a few hangups in the first 2 mags, the rest has been flawless
0 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Post by TL1000RSquid » Fri May 10, 2019 3:33 pm

My preferred ammo brands are Magtech, S&B, PPU, Speer, Fiochi, WWB NATO. I try to go with 124gr but if 115gr is alot cheaper ill buy it. Stopped buying the walmart wwb and federal bulk stuff since the brands mentioned before can be had for $9 or less a box usually and are much better quality.
2 x

Bfgloki

Post by Bfgloki » Fri May 10, 2019 3:53 pm

S&B 115/124 are my go to brands. The Geco 124s I got on special last month are really decent. The Federal Champ from Wallyworld have been surprising and works well in my Beretta and Tristar.
0 x

higgybaby
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 015

Post by higgybaby » Fri May 10, 2019 4:17 pm

+1 on the Gecco and S&B....never an issue with either on all my 9mm's and 380"s. And its usually better priced.
0 x

qballbandit
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by qballbandit » Fri May 10, 2019 9:12 pm

124gr Speer Lawman, and 124gr Fiocchi when out of the Lawman. I'll throw Speer Gold Dot and/or Hornady Critical Defense in the mix every few visits to remember the feel of them, since I keep the nightstand and carry guns loaded with them.

Neil 8-)
1 x
"Train Smart, Train Often, And Train Safe"

GaCop

Post by GaCop » Sat May 11, 2019 5:28 am

When I'm not reloading, I shoot Federal bulk 115 gr. My TP9SA loves that ammunition and its point of impact is identical to my 124 gr HP handload. My TP9SA is an early model and has had at least 2500 rounds thru it to date.
0 x
Vietnam Vet - Jun 66 - Dec 67

Lgaam
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 080

Post by Lgaam » Sat May 11, 2019 11:39 am

Right now, I've got a nice mix of S&B, Fiocchi and Blazer Brass that should last me a couple of range trips.

In the past, I've used FM new and reman, Wolf, Tula, Aguila, Remington green & white box.
0 x

oldfrank

Post by oldfrank » Sat May 11, 2019 12:59 pm

I shoot 124 in all my guns and mostly my reloads but lately the price on Blazer, Federal and S&B has me a few thousand stocked up for when I am too lazy to reload.
0 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator

Post by TL1000RSquid » Sat May 11, 2019 2:16 pm

GaCop wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 5:28 am
When I'm not reloading, I shoot Federal bulk 115 gr. My TP9SA loves that ammunition and its point of impact is identical to my 124 gr HP handload. My TP9SA is an early model and has had at least 2500 rounds thru it to date.
bulk federal champion has been to inconsistent for me, ever watch someone else shooting the stuff? bang bang, pop, bang, BOOM, bang, bang, pop
0 x

qballbandit
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by qballbandit » Sat May 11, 2019 9:39 pm

...And, after shooting, Blazer has my guns looking like a 100 year old chimney that has never been cleaned. But, the price is most always low on the online sites.

Neil 8-)
1 x
"Train Smart, Train Often, And Train Safe"

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Sun May 12, 2019 4:55 am

qballbandit wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 9:39 pm
And, after shooting, Blazer has my guns looking like a 100 year old chimney that has never been cleaned
Same with Perfecta. Shoots good, I just know I'll need to give it a little more TLC when I get done.
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage

Bfgloki

Post by Bfgloki » Sun May 12, 2019 7:07 am

Just spent a bunch of time doing what I call the "boring" work at the range with all my pistols to find what factory ammo shoots best between all my pistols. I don't mind buying a few different brands since all the pistols don't get the same amount of exercise but I was curious in terms of factory anyway, if there was one brand I could settle on for practice/training and it would be reasonable across all the contenders.
First, the line up of pistols:
1. Canik SFx
2. Beretta APX full size
3. Ruger Security 9
4. Tristar T-100 (Canik 55)
Second, the ammo tested:
1. Federal Champion 115 FMJ rated at 1125 FPS ( WalMart Special)
2. MaxxTech 115 FMJ @ 1150 ( online usually has great deals and found a few boxes at BPS)
3. Herters 115 FMJ @ 1175 ( BPS special every other month it seems)
4. Remmington UWC Green & White box 115 FMJ @ 1090
5. Blazer 115 FMJ @ 1110
6. Seller & Bellot 115 FMJ @ 1280
7. Winchester White box 115 FMJ @ 1120
8. Fiochhi 115 FMJ @ 1250

This round of testing is strictly 115 weight class. I will have separate 124 and 147 tests in the future. Mainly for information and to have others chime in on what also worked for them to help those of us who currently purchase our target ammo in bulk.

The test was pretty simple. I used the targets for my 25 shot warm up drill which is 5 F Class 10 rings about 3 inches in a classic X pattern ( like on a dice face) and placed out at 10, 15, 20, 25 & 30 feet. A new target was used for each ammo brand. All shooting was Bench rest style. I used my bag/pack with arm bags I made to keep gun as steady as possible. Each group was 5 shots. Graded each very simply. Lowest score won...and by that I just ranked them 1-8 in each pistol in terms of what grouped best/POAvsPOI also took into account for tie breaker purposes. 4 is the best possible score and 32 is the worst.

1. Seller & Bellot - 10 points. Same point value as the Ficcohi but better POA/POI at all ranges. This stuff burns clean and being a bit more peppy is my current go to for my SFx when shooting 115 bullets. Price is usually pretty good when purchasing in 500+ lots and best deals can be $160 for 1000 online. Shipping varies. Only Con is its a little less common in my LGS's in terms of if I want to grab a box at the last minute. The BX is spotty carrying them but when they do its usually around $9.00 a box.
2. Fiocchi - 10 points. Scored identical to S & B's but its POI/POA in 2/4 pistols was off. Very good, commonly found ammo everywhere. 3 of 4 ranges I frequent have this behind the counter in a pinch and Academy always carries a good supply as do several other LGS's. Online deals are similar to the S&B's but is slightly more expensive at $170 per 1k on avg and $10 a box avg on the fly. ( ranges markup a bit more at $12-14) Also burns pretty clean and as with the S&B have not seen one FTE/FTF yet across all my guns, buddies guns etc.
3. MaxxTech- 12 points. The biggest surprise of the bunch. The only gun that didnt like this ammo was the Security 9. The rest of the pistols just loved it. Had a very different smell but the groups were very impressive across all pistols. This is the only ammo that could give the Federal Champ a run for its money in the Tristar. So much so this picture will have to be included:

50 rounds at 20 ft no support 1 shot every 2 seconds( that doesn't include time to reload mags since I only have 2 at the moment) from that Tristar T-100 and the ones not in the center are my poor trigger control and easily can see what I was doing wrong. Its just silly how good that gun and that ammo shoots ( the Federal Champ also shoots that good in that gun ) Always see deals online for this stuff ranging from $140-$155 per 1K. Was apprehensive to try it but the sample size so far says this may be a decent brand to pursue if the price is right. No FTE/FTFs but again small sample size when I compare it to what I have shot of the S&B and Fed Champ. Not as easy to find in my LGS's either. Never seen it at Academy and was first time I saw it in BPS. Mom and pop places vary and have seen it once or twice but again never picked it up until now. Curious if their offering in 124s will perform as well.
4. Federal Champion- 16 points. Say what you will about Wally world ammo but this was a steady performer. Was my go to for the Tristar ( was what I broke in that pistol with and really just blew my mind how good it shot out of that gun) and probably will stay my go to for it cause of how easy I can pick up 200 rds from one of the 7 Walmarts I pass each day. Cost is probably as good as you can expect for brass loaded rounds purchased locally being $36 per 200 after tax ( TX taxes) I usually pick up a box any time I am in Walmart and stash it. All the pistols shoot it reasonably well, POI/POA is OK in all of them and exceptional in the Tstar. I have yet to have a failure so really I can't bad mouth this stuff. The only pistol where it shot bad and that's relative cause the differences are in 1/8 inches is the SFx. Its POI was blatantly left of POA. Grouped decent but the only round that behaved that way in that pistol.
5. Herter's- 20 Points. Never heard of this stuff until I saw it at BPS and the clerk informed me of the specials they run on it. At $10.50 a box I said what the heck. Decent looking ammo ( clean and shiny) with good packaging. Its biggest downfall in terms of scoring was not the group size but its POI vs POA across all pistols. The Ruger was its best supporter. It seems clean ( not as much as the Fiocchi and S & Bs) and all went BANG. The 22LR ammo I also got on special is amazing...but this 9mm stuff is middle of the road for me. Better then the bottom 3 for the same price. Will have to look online if its available bulk but I hadn't seen it until this week at all so my guess its not real popular. Maybe its a BPS special purchase thing...who knows. I will go back and stock up on the 22lR though cause my M&P 22 loves it like a fat kids loves cupcakes.
6, 7, 8. 3 way tie. Winchester White Box, UMC & Blazer. These 3 all tied with a score of 28 points. Now a caveat is again the differences were in 1/8s of an inch so its not like these looked like shotgun buckshot. Where these fell short was POA/POI. Each one of these had very different aim holds vs the other stuff. It was not as consistent and almost always had a flier. I note the flier cause the others didn't exhibit a flier so I have to chaulk it up to QC and variations in the bullet. UMC seemed to be very soft in terms of recoil and if not for the POA issues would have scored higher in terms of groupings. So kudo's there but the price is just not great for what you get. This goes for all 3 of these. All are easy to find anywhere but all are about $11 a box. Sometimes the Blazer and UMC will trade spots and be on sale at $9 a box. The larger packs of UMC and Winchester don't add value and break down to exactly the same price per round. Which baffles me. If the pricing would change I would have no issues purchasing either on the fly in the 200-350 round lots they display at the LGS's but until then they will be my backup to the backup options. Blazer stuff was filthy followed closely by Winchester White. UMC was pretty clean stuff. Online deals for Blazer is the only way it edges out the others and can usually be found on special for $160 and as low as $145 sometimes. But again if I saw the S&Bs for $160 I would buy them in a heart beat. Maybe the Blazer 124s will be better. UMC and Winchester online prices are not worth mentioning and rarely have deals worth bragging about. So again they loose in terms of performance vs price.

I haven't tried any aluminum cased or Steel cased stuff cause I am a bit of a snob but I may in the future just for my own curiosity. It will have to be on a outdoor range visits as my indoor ranges all don't allow steel or aluminum. My luck the Tula will shoot lights out in all my pistols and make me have to rethink my snobbish ways lol.Over the course of next few weeks I will gather up some 124s and test them out next. I took a few days off from my rigorous training/drills to refocus and reload my rifles and get some 1k-1500 yd time in down south. I still get a warm tingly when I see the steel get rung with them.
2 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Sun May 12, 2019 7:22 am

Bfgloki wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 7:07 am
This round of testing is strictly 115 weight class.
This is an outstanding and very detailed report. Thx for sharing.

I've been a fan of Seller & Bellot for a while and it's always been on my "buy" list.
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator

Post by TL1000RSquid » Sun May 12, 2019 9:28 am

Careful with that maxxtech shit i bought a few box's(well they came in little cannisters) a couple years ago and nearly every single round was setback or could be pushed back with 1 finger. I'll never buy them again.
0 x

Bfgloki

Post by Bfgloki » Sun May 12, 2019 9:57 am

Thanks LT. Only one picture in my production but I need to remember to actually pull my damn phone out more often lol.
TL: interesting, I have some left over and may take one apart along with the others and do a powder charge compare for giggles and put it in the reloading section.
0 x

varmint

Post by varmint » Sun May 12, 2019 10:50 am

Some years back I did a similar test with a 1911 (J Clark hard ball pistol) on a Ransom Rest, I like to died on how well the Wolf steel shot!
0 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator

Post by TL1000RSquid » Sun May 12, 2019 11:57 am

Bfgloki wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:57 am
Thanks LT. Only one picture in my production but I need to remember to actually pull my damn phone out more often lol.
TL: interesting, I have some left over and may take one apart along with the others and do a powder charge compare for giggles and put it in the reloading section.
I can't remember if it was the brass or aluminum cased stuff, maybe i got a bad batch I dont know but I got a few tubs cause it was pretty cheap from sportsmansguide maybe, compared to everything else and each container was the same. So that kind of really turned me off that brand.
0 x

sbdude

Post by sbdude » Mon May 13, 2019 4:48 pm

I got a good deal on a bulk purchase of Speer Lawman 124 grain ammo so that's what I'm practicing with now and especially since my SD rounds are Federal HST 124 grain. I'm not a competitive shooter so all of my practice is geared toward SD so this works out well for me. I will say that Speer Lawman seems a bit snappier than the other cheap stuff, 115 & 147, I was shooting previously.
0 x