Post your "MATCH" videos/pictures here.

Discussion for Competition Shooting.
GlennSFX
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 011

Re: Post your "MATCH" videos/pictures here.

Post by GlennSFX » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:02 pm

NWcityguy2 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:35 am
Overall I did really well, finishing 1st of 4 in Limited and 6th of 51 overall. I walked away with a free 5-day handgun training course for later this year.

That's awesome! Nicely done. :-BD
1 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:51 pm

NWcityguy2 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:35 am
Overall I did really well, finishing 1st of 4 in Limited and 6th of 51 overall. I walked away with a free 5-day handgun training course for later this year.
Congrats. Nice grin in the picture.
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage

Noshoot

Post by Noshoot » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:10 pm

Finally had the chance to shoot my SFX today though it was a short excursion (tendinitis in elbow sent me packing after 2 runs).

Club just north of me usually does "practice" matches on Thursdays, but the weather hasn't permitted it (so they decided to run a Monday edition).

All I have done up until now was to bore sight it at 15yds, then verify quickly before set up today (20rds). I have to get accustomed to a dot, and where to "aim" at varying distances (as evidenced by the plate rack that did it's best to mock me).

eta- my second run through this was 12 seconds faster with better hits, but I couldn't holster the pistol with my right hand. I knew at that point I had to pack it up for the day. :((

0 x

NWcityguy2

Post by NWcityguy2 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:21 pm

0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:25 pm

I loved the last shot. PERFECT!
Noshoot wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:10 pm
I have to get accustomed to a dot, and where to "aim" at varying distances (as evidenced by the plate rack that did it's best to mock me).
I'm running iron sights on the SFx for the same reason, I can't get used to it. Still chasing the dot.
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage

NWcityguy2

Post by NWcityguy2 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:27 pm

Better to pack up and try it again than to miss twice as many competitions trying to push through it.
0 x

Noshoot

Post by Noshoot » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:34 pm

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:25 pm
I loved the last shot. PERFECT!
Noshoot wrote:
I have to get accustomed to a dot, and where to "aim" at varying distances (as evidenced by the plate rack that did it's best to mock me).
I'm running iron sights on the SFx for the same reason, I can't get used to it. Still chasing the dot.
Yeah, I'll get the dot down at some point. That run on the stage was just the beginning of me losing my grip in my right hand, and my hits were all over the place. Better to take that last second shot than the penalty I would've gotten (big "M").
NWcityguy2 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:27 pm
Better to pack up and try it again than to miss twice as many competitions trying to push through it.
No doubt, but now I'm into an entry fee for NAZC here mid May and have to figure out if it's worth pushing my recovery to be prepared for it.
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:40 pm

Noshoot wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:34 pm
Better to take that last second shot than the penalty I would've gotten (big "M").
Bad Ju-ju. Only took one Mike last Sunday; much better for me. I'm shooting the M&P 9mm full size for comp. Steel match in two weeks I be taking the SPx for a stroll.
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:13 pm

Noshoot wrote:
I knew at that point I had to pack it up for the day. :((
1st time...nothing to complain about!
Hope the elbow gets better quick!!
0 x

NWcityguy2

Post by NWcityguy2 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:18 pm

No doubt, but now I'm into an entry fee for NAZC here mid May and have to figure out if it's worth pushing my recovery to be prepared for it.
I've heard that's a good match, though I've never been. A few of the dedicated shooters from here in El Paso/Las Cruces/Alamo make the trip for it.
0 x

Noshoot

Post by Noshoot » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:56 pm

Yeah.... Had to go in to urgent care after my arm and fingers swelled up.

At least 4-6 weeks of healing and recovery before I can even think about picking up a pistol again....

That’s what I get for so much dry fire practice on my home “range”.

1 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:47 pm

Noshoot wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:56 pm
Impressive.
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:49 pm

Noshoot wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:56 pm

Clearly you're suffering from "Targetitis"! :lol:
1 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:36 am

Had a GREAT time at the "Battle at the Beach 2019" SC Sectional Match! It was a 10 stage match at Low Country Preserve, located in Tabor City NC. https://www.lowcountrypreserve.com/. Weather was perfect, sunny, warm and a nice breeze. Only issue was the pollen was nasty. Was planning on wearing my "Team Canik" shirt but it was just too hot for a black shit and long sleeves. Ended up wearing a short sleeve "Match Shirt". Need to order a short sleeve Canik shirt for the summer!!!

We were in the afternoon session, squad 25 and arrived around 11:30 with a start time of 1:30 at stage 5. The day started off great, when to the registration booth and found out I won a $50 gift certificate from Red Hill Tactical. Walked around and checked things out and got to watch some of the morning session shooters. The thing that stuck out for me was the amount of "movement" required through some of the stages. This was my first outdoor USPSA match, the IDPA matches I've shot just aren't spread out like a lot of these were. After my last fiasco of "DQing", I was a little concerned of moving and possibly breaking the 180, so I planned on making sure I was "very aware" of my movement, and were my muzzle was pointing. The good news is...I finished the match!!! :lol: My son is a really good shooter and came within 2 points of winning the overall C Class.

So back to the car we went to gather our gear and head over to the "Safe Table" to get ready. We made our way over to stage 5 to meet up with some of my son's buddies he shoots with in our squad. After the introductions and some chit-chat, we were ready for the stage briefing, and getting the match started.

The ROs mentioned that if there was one stage that could lead to a "DQ" this could be the one. STAGE 5 is called "Running Wild", appropriately named as there was a fair amount of movement, and shots where you had to shoot around barriers at the extreme corners. I shot the stage fairly well, but did have one target I failed to engage, so ended up with a procedural. But overall, I completed it unscathed!

STAGE 6, "The Minions", has poppers out at 40 yards. I went into this one fairly confident, as I shot out to that distance at my range at home without any issues. Problem is...once that damn buzzer goes off, somehow the "connections" between the brain and the hand seem to "disconnect"! :lol: Once I was shooting at the "Minions" and throwing misses downrange, I started to wonder if I was going to have enough ammo!!! :lol: I guess I should have just a couple mikes, as I did engage the targets, but what fun would that be.

STAGE 7 is appropriately called, "Diagonalley". Almost all of the shots were through diagonal openings at various heights. The mistake I made on this one was to engage the target "too far into" the openings. I had my optic hit the top of the opening more than once causing the gun to not return to battery.

STAGE 8, "Red Stitch for the Win!" was the one that really had me a little nervous as I've never shot a Texas Star, never mind a double competition spinner! :shock: https://redstitchtargets.com/shop/t48-s ... get-system. Red Stitch was one of the major sponsors of the match. Of course I had to be the "FIRST" shooter on the stage, but actually didn't do too bad. I did have a problem finding my dot on the first couple targets, "Buzzer Brain" thing I guess! :lol: ...and almost forgot to go back to the swinger to finish the stage. That was how all of the guys were planning on attacking it, so I figured I'd do the same.

STAGE 9, "Let Freedom Ring" was another steel stage that was actually pretty cool. It had a plate rack with some "strategically placed" poppers thrown in for good measure.

STAGE 10, "American Ninja Warrior", involved moving along a course where you had to shoot across a "balance beam" that really wasn't narrow, and then had to crouch down for 3 targets through a tunnel.

STAGE 1, "Down and Under" was the first stage were I experienced a "malfunction" with the gun! The one problem with the match location was the fine beach like sand. At the 2:00 minute mark, I had a FTF, had to dump the mag a reload to finish. When I looked at the mag, the bullets were just "loose" like there was no spring in the mag. You could just shake the around. I went and talked to one of my son's friends who's an "A" class shooter and he quickly diagnosed it as the follower got stuck due to sand that got into the mag. I never thought to take the rounds out and blow them out after a few stages.

STAGE 2, "Stop, Drop, Turn", the best part of this stage was the RO who was scoring the targets!!! He was a Vietnam Veteran who really got into the scoring and made it fun to follow him as he called out the hits! You'll see what I mean! :-D

STAGE 3, "TRUMP"...unfortunately my camera got filled up because I forgot to shut it off! AND...my son also missed it with his GoPro. Oh well, $hit happens!

STAGE 4, "S" is for Swinger, was the final stage for the day. Appropriately call as the final target was a swinger.

Overall it was a fun day!!! Got to shoot my first outdoor USPSA match with my son and meet some of the guys he shoots with. Learned a lot and saw some unbelievable shooters!!! There were a number of Grand Masters and Master shoots who attended. Looking forward to coming down and shooting more matches with my son and new found friends!
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:09 am

Great videos, thx for sharing.

Our local matches are not at that level. But they are still fun anyway.
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:51 pm

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:09 am
Great videos, thx for sharing.

Our local matches are not at that level. But they are still fun anyway.
This was a level 2 sectional match so the stages were more advanced than anything I've seen. I was certainly a lot of fun!
0 x

Badgerboy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 999

Post by Badgerboy » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:48 pm

Way cool all of you. Very impressive. Two thumbs up and a pinky toe as well.
2 x
If Progress means 'to move forward'...what does Congress mean?

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:04 pm

Badgerboy wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:48 pm
Way cool all of you. Very impressive. Two thumbs up and a pinky toe as well.
Thanks. It was definitely a learning experience!
0 x

Sorge

Post by Sorge » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:55 pm

Glad you had a great time. I'll try to get some video of our local match this weekend
0 x
Pew pew

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:57 am

Had my second outdoor USPSA match yesterday. First time shooting at the Hopkinton range. Nice setup with 7 stages. Was squaded with a couple of really good shooters, both shooting CO, who I've shot with at the two indoor USPSA matches. Both are really good shooters and "Gamers" who really know how to plan out and approach a stage. The "Gaming" aspect comes into play where you take advantage of saving time in any legal fashion possible.

Stage 5 was a fun stage and the final shots were on two cardboard and two popper targets. The poppers were hidden behind barrels, forcing you to move and shoot from both far corners. As I was standing there waiting to shoot, Neil came over and said "if you want to save at least a couple seconds, take one of the poppers through the barrel. It will eliminate having to run to the other corner". :-? ...Still being relatively new to this, I was a little confused because I though it was a penalty if you hit a barrel. Apparently I was wrong!!! So he gave me some "Intel" as to where to shoot, as he attempted it, but missed.

Start was in a seated position, gun unloaded and mags on you.
Here's my run at it...

0 x