Post your "MATCH" videos/pictures here.

Discussion for Competition Shooting.
Retiredtrooper
Founding Member #: 3871

Re: Post your "MATCH" videos/pictures here.

Post by Retiredtrooper » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:55 pm

My club is in the process of affiliating with USPSA, switching from IDPA. Our match director is a bit demented which makes things interesting. I'm a big fan of the USPSA format: Here is the problem.....SOLVE IT. You'll love it. We shoot one USPSA per month, and one Steel Challenge.
1 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 011

Post by GlennSFX » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:50 am

NWcityguy2 wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:38 pm
Mental mistakes happen. Good accuracy is the most important thing for new shooters, because once speed gets involved it is very hard to go back and tighten up groups.
I think my "mental mistakes" are caused by thinking too far ahead. Worrying about round counts, which target I'll be doing my mag dump...etc. Those skills will come with time and experience.

I totally agree about accuracy! I've been concentrating on getting good shot placement and keeping my "points down" LOW! I figure I can reduce the times working on doubles at the range and target transition.
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:19 am

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:37 pm
GlennSFX wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:41 pm
USPSA is more fun
Just signed up for a USPSA shoot this next Sunday; it will be my first. Film a 11.
Cool! :-BD
I think you'll like it!
Just take it slow and you'll be fine!

@NWcityguy2's post is right on... "accuracy first", "speed" second! Faster times will come with experience.
1 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:15 pm

Just thought I'd post this here for you guys to check out.

I registered for the "Aiming For Zero" Charity Shoot in May, which is being held at the Sig Sauer Academy in Epping NH. It's a charity event with all proceeds going to support ending veteran suicide. They have these events throughout the country and they're always a big draw. The signup started this past Sunday and it was almost filled up when I registered Monday. I've talked with guys at recent matches that attended last year, and they all said it was a great event. Really looking forward to it. I lost my youngest brother to suicide a couple years ago, so I know first hand what these families are going through.

Link to SIG's website on the event...
https://www.sigsauer.com/aimingforzero/

Here's a link to the event info...
https://activeheroes.org/aimingforzero/

Here's a video link for last years event at Sig...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=912vYnFb3hY
2 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:14 pm

GlennSFX wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:16 am
Pretty happy with the camera.
@GlennSFX, how about a little more info on your camera; model, pros & cons, how you are attaching to yourself,etc.

I keep forgetting to hand somebody my phone for recording. Shot 6 USPSA stages today and got one 30-second video out of it.
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:27 pm

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:14 pm
GlennSFX wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:16 am
Pretty happy with the camera.
@GlennSFX, how about a little more info on your camera; model, pros & cons, how you are attaching to yourself,etc.

I keep forgetting to hand somebody my phone for recording. Shot 6 USPSA stages today and got one 30-second video out of it.
Hey @LT USN (Ret.)

Here's the camera I ordered off Amazon...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FC ... UTF8&psc=1

I posted some videos in my build thread which shows the quality of the video. The camera is very easy to use, and I have it mounted to the underside of a baseball cap. I show how it's mounted on page 6.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=270&start=100

There's setup utility you download to configure the camera. Pretty easy. It has a two hour run time so there's no issue capturing the days stages.
http://mytempfiles.info/mobius2/
0 x

NWcityguy2

Post by NWcityguy2 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:43 pm

Here is me shooting the USPSA Classifier CM 18-04 "Didn't You Send the Mailman" with my PCC. With my hit factor, I got 87% on it, which is a low master score. Just to show you how razor tight scoring can be near the top, if I had shot one less Charlie and one more Alpha, I'd have a high master score of 94%, and if I had shot all Alphas (which I was about 3 inches away from doing), it would have been a perfect 100% classifier.
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:57 am

NWcityguy2 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:43 pm

Here is me shooting the USPSA Classifier CM 18-04 "Didn't You Send the Mailman" with my PCC. With my hit factor, I got 87% on it, which is a low master score. Just to show you how razor tight scoring can be near the top, if I had shot one less Charlie and one more Alpha, I'd have a high master score of 94%, and if I had shot all Alphas (which I was about 3 inches away from doing), it would have been a perfect 100% classifier.
NICELY DONE! :-BD
The classifiers are short and sweet...but like you said, a second or two or a few inches really matter!

I was bummed out Friday... my match yesterday was cancelled due to snow! ... :cry:
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:58 am

Here's how you mess up your first EVER qualifier.

After shooting my first USPSA event in an OK manner (two strings were 15 A - 1 C) the last sting we shot was a simple qualifier. Oooops!

1 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:15 am

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:58 am
Here's how you mess up your first EVER qualifier.

After shooting my first USPSA event in an OK manner (two strings were 15 A - 1 C) the last sting we shot was a simple qualifier. Oooops!
You can practice all you want, but when you're standing in the box, or at the line, "BRAIN FARTS HAPPEN"! :lol:
Been there...done that! It's all a learning process.
1 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:27 am

Later this month I'm shooting in the 2019 Battle of the Beach SC Sectional Championship with my son. They have been posting the stages over the last month or so. Some pretty interesting ones to say the least. Below is a link to 9 of the 10 stages posted on YouTube.. The videos actually walk you through the stage as if you were shooting it, pretty neat.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNdN5Y ... oDcPn7Jg2Q
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:35 pm

Shot an IDPA match this past Saturday morning. The day started of interesting...on my way to the match I got pulled over for having an expired inspection sticker. It was only 3 months overdue!!! :shock: It expired the end of December. Fortunately, I only got a warming. If the officer wants to stick it to you, they can issue you a ticket and have the car towed. It's a moving violation on your insurance as well.

Match was interesting which I guess was par for the course. Shot decent, finished 16 out of 39 overall, so I have been advancing each match. Had a couple issue on the first two stages, if those had been on par with the last three, it would have been a really good match.

For the 5 stages I finished...
Stage............Position
My Castle..........21
Zombies............27
Speed Skills........11
Blind Spots.........11
Lucky Charms......14

The one thing I've noticed lately, is I'm sometimes not hitting the "Fat Daddy" perfectly flat on a speed reload. This is causing the trigger to feel locked and the first instinct is it's broke..."dead trigger". Once the buzzer goes off and you're trying to go fast, a failure really screws with your brain!!! On the first stage I didn’t properly seat the mag after loading the “barney” round and lost about 6 secs do to the “brain fart”! In the video, after shooting, I did a diagnostic to see exactly what happened. Video is definitely the way to see what’s going on and what you did wrong!

Stage 1 video I decided to look at it frame by frame to see what happened with the FTF. Appears I didn’t seat the mag properly after loading the barney round and then did the “tap and rack”…without the “rack”!!!! It’s been too long since I’ve loaded snaps randomly in a mag to work on this stuff!

Stage 2 just went too slow and decided to put a round dead center in the “no threat”! :o

Stage 3 another issue with speed reload, thinking it was the “dead trigger” thing rushing.

Stage 4 strong thumb prevented slide lock and costed me 3-4 seconds.

Stage 5 one long shot on the clay that was a little issue and another mag screw-up at the end. Looks like I was riding the slide release again, and didn’t fully seat the mag before racking! That’s going to be this weekends session!!!!
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:05 pm

GlennSFX wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:35 pm
Stage 2 just went too slow and decided to put a round dead center in the “no threat”!
"Oh, poop!" Bahahahaha!

Love the videos. I keep forgetting to hand somebody my phone; I guess I need to circle back to the hat camera cuz review and self evaluation is the way to improve.

That's for sharing.
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage

rds

Post by rds » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:28 pm

I enjoy watching the videos. Thanks for sharing!
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:37 pm

Matches have a way of reminding you, that really deep down inside, you still suck. :d

I love shooting these USPSA matches. I learn something new every time. What didn't get picked up by the video was me yelling at the last two plates, "HIT THE DAMN THINGS!". :-??

2 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:42 pm

Note: For those of you shooting matches north of the Mason-Dixon Line, high today was 78 and the sun was out.

You can get back at me in July-August-September when I will be screeching like the Wicked Witch of the West, "I'M MELTING!"
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:21 pm

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:37 pm
Matches have a way of reminding you, that really deep down inside, you still suck. :d

I love shooting these USPSA matches. I learn something new every time. What didn't get picked up by the video was me yelling at the last two plates, "HIT THE DAMN THINGS!". :-??

I think you did a good job!!!!
One is bad enough...the doubles kill ya!!! :sad:
1 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:21 am

Well I totally "F'ed Up" my "Classifer Match" Friday night!!! :evil:
DQ'ed on the very first stage, Melody Line 99-08. :sad:

Had to draw and turn to engage, broke the 180!
I was so pissed at myself, you can't imagine!!!!
Tried to be too aggressive...learned a hard lesson. Better here than at the match in NC Friday!!!

Finally got it out of my head and went to the outdoor range Sunday morning to bang a little steel.
AND...Just in case anyone was wondering...YES, I was pointing the gun downrange as I was pacing off the yardage!!! :lol:

0 x

oldfrank

Post by oldfrank » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:15 am

I am shooting a sanctioned IDPA match next month that is only for Bug and Compact sized guns. Since canik doesn't have one yet I have only been shooting my Block in competition to get ready for the match.
I am so ready to get back to my SFX and Red Dot!
0 x

NWcityguy2

Post by NWcityguy2 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:35 am

I'll get some videos up later today, but I just got back from The Empire Strikes Back 2019 3-gun. It was a 2-day, 9 stage event and is sponsored by the SUPS shooting range is St George UT and 3-gun UK. In fact, everyone one is my squad of 14 were Brits except for 2 of us. This is a week+ vacation for them to come to the States and play with ARs and handguns. Most of the diehard shooters among them will make it over to the states twice a year, and some even have guns they own and store over here year round. Most others are provided pistols as a service, which they will use for the week and turn back in at the end. Surprisingly, I'd say about 1/2 the pistols being provided to them were Caniks, split about 60/40 as Tristar CZ clones and TP9s. Most of the rest were Springfield XDs.

Overall I did really well, finishing 1st of 4 in Limited and 6th of 51 overall. I walked away with a free 5-day handgun training course for later this year.

2 x