My Super 650 Dillon Build

Discussion Section for Ammunition, Reloading and Handloading.
GlennSFX
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 011

My Super 650 Dillon Build

Post by GlennSFX » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:20 pm

SO...I decided it was in my best interest to go ahead and start drinking the "Blue Kool-Aid"!!! :lol:

It wasn't until I opened the box, that I realized why I bought the thing...

Before the thing even arrived, I decided I was going to do some enhancements to it to make it even better than advertised. I found a guy on eBay that has a number of enhancement parts for it. He goes by "snowshooze" and has a webstore with all his stuff listed. The mods really make it more user friendly, from the point of view of being able to turn press operations on and off. Also with the bearings, you can eliminate having to use grease on some of the components. Dillon makes the "Super 1050" and I was debating on which press to get, but figured the 650 would be good enough, especially with the enhancements. I really don't see myself adding a bullet feeder, which would eliminate the powder check, so the 5 stations on the 650 should work out just fine.

Here's his webstore...
https://www.ebay.com/str/snowshooze

Here are the parts I bought...

Dillon XL 650 Premium Performance Improvment Kit...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dillon-XL-650- ... 2749.l2649

Dillon XL 650 Roto-Cam Actuator...

Dillon XL 650 Case Feed Stop Switch...

Dillon Primer stop switch...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dillon-Primer- ... 2749.l2649

I also ordered some LED lights to insert into the center hole in the tool head. I know there are commercial products available for around $50, but this should be just as good for a lot less money, and I'll have 5 of them!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017O ... UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GD ... UTF8&psc=1

I welded up a mounting plate last night and will work on it this weekend. All the add-on parts should be here by Saturday. Here's how it stands right now...

1 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Re: My Super 650 Dillon Build

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:25 pm

I read Blue Press for the articles too.
2 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

Post by Tejas Products » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:57 pm

Obviously you will keep us updated and informed as to your progress?

Have you reloaded before or is this your first time?
1 x
Beware of Dragons. For you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:05 pm

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:25 pm
For me it's all about the "Visuals"!!! \:d/
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:09 pm

Tejas Products wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:57 pm
Obviously you will keep us updated and informed as to your progress?

Have you reloaded before or is this your first time?
Yes, but will be the first time on a progressive. The Lee turret just takes more pulls. I did some 223 years ago and recently did some 9mm on the Lee.

I'll update the thread as I'm making the updates to the press and reloading adventures.
0 x

runeight
Founding Member #: 198

Post by runeight » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:04 pm

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:25 pm
;-) ;-)
0 x
We are in a civil war..
..we just haven’t brought out the guns.

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:54 am

Finished the assembly of the press last night. Also got all the dies properly set. The only thing I have to do it set the powder charge. I decided to use a LEE carbide crimp die for the final stage. I like the fact that it crimps and resizes on the final step. I know the shell was sized on the de-priming station, but after flaring and seating the bullet it certainly doesn't hurt and guarantees uniformity !

I mounted the press so I can run the process while sitting down. More comfortable and easier to access the side of the press. With the rolling handle, there isn't a lot of leverage required to operate the press. Physically it's not as big as I thought it would be. Not much bigger than the LEE.

Neck flared and bullet in place. Kept the flare as small as I could and still allow for the bullet to be placed in the shell easily.

Final product right where I wanted it...

Even though I purchased the powder check station, I mounted the endoscope camera just to have a visual of the powder when placing the bullet on the shell to be seated. Had to be a little creative on the camera mount! :lol:

Nice view of the interior of the shell. The powder charge will be real easy to see! The picture is even bigger when connected to the iPad.
I had my phone connected to the camera's wifi. App has a feature where you can snap a picture or take video.

Some of the "enhancement" parts are arriving tomorrow, so I'll get them swapped in. I'll also get the powder charge dialed in.

That's all for now folks! :-D
1 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:59 am

Interesting that we are both now big fans of progressivism...

Of course, that now being the case, your blue progressive must be oppressing my red progressive...
1 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:31 am

ncjw wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:59 am
Interesting that we are both now big fans of progressivism...

Of course, that now being the case, your blue progressive must be oppressing my red progressive...
Unfortunately the 650 wasn't on the list of "Free Stuff" Pocahontas wants to give away!!!!

I kinda wish the 650 was red...at least the "red" progressivism is leaning in the right direction!!! :lol:
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:58 pm

The "Enhancement" parts showed up yesterday, so I decided to get them installed this morning. My LED lights also arrived and decided to tackle that first to shine some light for doing the upgrades.

I had some 3/4" clear plastic tubing that was just a tad tight to fit in the center hole in the tool head. I ended up just sanding it a little and it fit perfect. Next I used some cat 3 wire I had hanging around and decided that would be perfect to use. Being solid wire it was easy to mold and hold it's shape/position. The LED light diameter was smaller then the interior diameter of the plastic tubing, so I just wrapped it with some electrical tape. I purchased a 12v Ac/DC adapter which came with a plug adapter with wire connector.

Here's the finial assembly...

Here it is inserted into the toll head and illuminating the shell plate...

First mod was to change out the Shell Advancement Ramp Assembly. The new one is on an aluminum slide with two detents and a spring loaded ball to hold position. Sliding it forward, allow for the shells to advance into the shell plate as normal. Sliding it to the right moves it back, where it will not make contact with the shell drop index.

Here's the shell advance in the normal operating position with the factory bar...

Here's the shell advance with the new roller bearing shaft.I removed the entire shell drop assembly, measured the length of exposed rod, and unthreaded the factory rod. While holding the shell drop assembly, I threaded the new one in to obtain the correct length.

The cam actuator was replaced with one with a bearing. I provides a friction free surface and eliminates the need for grease.

Factory...

Upgrade...

Next was the primer advance assembly. The new one is mounted on an aluminum slide with a detent ball and spring. It functions similiar to the shell advancement assembly, with an "on" and "off" position. These features are handy when adjusting the dies and powder where you don't want the press to function in it's normal operating mode.

"On" Position to the left...

"Off" Position to the right.

Last was to replace the factory steel index ball and spring. Also the oil infused bronze washer.
This really made the shell plate move super smooth.
1 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:58 pm

Factory parts...

New parts...

All in all it took about an hour to install the new parts. It really make the press work super smooth. I think it was well worth the $100 and a little time. :-BD
0 x

Weapon
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 005

Post by Weapon » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:52 pm

When it comes to case mouth flaring and coated bullets, I bell them out slightly more than usual for any other type of bullet. It works the brass a little more but 9mm brass is cheap (even though that habit started with .45acp coated bullets) and it helps to avoid sheering off a bit of the coating if the bullet is slightly off center when it enters the die. You can get by with less flaring if you slow down a little but that runs counter to my morning caffeine intake. :)

My 650 has cranked out ammo since the 90s and is still going strong despite being moved back and forth across the state — Dillon makes some impressive machines. Anything that can put up with my nonsense for 20+ years is well made. :)
1 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:44 pm

Weapon wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:52 pm
When it comes to case mouth flaring and coated bullets, I bell them out slightly more than usual for any other type of bullet. It works the brass a little more but 9mm brass is cheap (even though that habit started with .45acp coated bullets) and it helps to avoid sheering off a bit of the coating if the bullet is slightly off center when it enters the die. You can get by with less flaring if you slow down a little but that runs counter to my morning caffeine intake. :)

My 650 has cranked out ammo since the 90s and is still going strong despite being moved back and forth across the state — Dillon makes some impressive machines. Anything that can put up with my nonsense for 20+ years is well made. :)
They certainly make a nice piece of equipment!

I just swapped out the Dillon bullet seating die for the Lee. I really like the fine adjustment on the Lee.
Question...how often do you clean your dies?

I got the powder drop set to 3.1g. Pretty consistent. Got a couple 3.0 but it was right on the edge, remeasure on the scale and sometimes it would read 3.1. Powder check is nice, and with the camera visual, it's pretty foolproof eliminating any squibs.

I ran 15 through the press and will give them a try tomorrow.
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:08 am

I decided to put a video together showing the mods I did to the XL 650. I'm waiting for my bullets to arrive from ACME and once they do I'll make a video showing the operation of the press.

1 x

lewmed

Post by lewmed » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:48 pm

The Dillon machine was a good choice many years ago when I had a FFL 06 license to manufacture ammo I ran a couple Dillon 650's for small custom jobs. We had very few problems with the 650's and when we need parts they were free and shipped fast. One thing I remember about the 650 is the powder measure worked a lot better when the machine was grounded something to do with static elect.
1 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:25 pm

lewmed wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:48 pm
The Dillon machine was a good choice many years ago when I had a FFL 06 license to manufacture ammo I ran a couple Dillon 650's for small custom jobs. We had very few problems with the 650's and when we need parts they were free and shipped fast. One thing I remember about the 650 is the powder measure worked a lot better when the machine was grounded something to do with static elect.
Funny you mention the grounding, I noticed the other night the powder was clinging to the plastic housing. I figured it was due to static electricity. I was going to ground a couple points on the machine. I'll take some pictures tomorrow when it's done.
0 x

Sorge

Post by Sorge » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:36 pm

IMHO you can't beat Dillon. My 650 has been awesome for 15 years. Glad you are having fun with yours
0 x
Pew pew

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:01 pm

Had the stuff out so I figured I'd just throw it together.
Grounded the frame, removed the powder coating, and powder housing.

0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:18 am

Neatened up the work are this morning. Mounted an AC strip to a piece of 3/4" plywood and secured it to the shelf and organized the wires. The ground wire plug has the hot an neutral lugs remover, so just the ground lug plugs into the strip.

0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:35 am

Started to process another batch of brass last night. Visually inspected and checked to ensure there were no cracks and all were indeed 9mm. Washed them first with some Dawn dish washing liquid in a Gatorade Bottle. Shake it for around 5 minutes and then rinse them off, and lay them out on a towel to dry over night.

Put them in the tumbler with crushed walnut. Added a dryer sheet cut up into 6 pieces to absorb the dust. I take a couple paper towels and soak them, and lay it over the top of the tumbler to catch any residual dust. I use a paper plate to cover the top of the tumbler and run the brass for a couple hours.

I'll then dump the brass and walnut into a strainer to separate the media from the brass, and blow it with compressed air to remove all the media. The clean brass will be placed into a plastic bin marked "Tumbled". When I'm going to reload it, I'll lube it in a plastic zip lock baggie and then let it dry for an hour.

Washed...

Being rinsed...

Drying...

Placed in the tumbler...

Mixed in tumbler with dryer sheets by hand...

Wet paper towel over tumbler cover...

Paper plate to trap dust...
0 x