My First SFx Build

Modifications, Tutorials, Upgrades and Aftermarket Product Reviews.
Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Re: My First SFx Build

Post by Janik » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:29 pm

GlennSFX wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:08 pm
Once I figure out what happened shooting into the sun, and what caused the weird starburst, I'll post something in the Red Dot thread
Definitely keep us posted. So you were using a Delta Point Pro?
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 011

Post by GlennSFX » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:35 pm

Janik wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:29 pm
GlennSFX wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:08 pm
Once I figure out what happened shooting into the sun, and what caused the weird starburst, I'll post something in the Red Dot thread
Definitely keep us posted. So you were using a Delta Point Pro?
Yes Sir!
And I'll report back once I have the proper conditions to test with.
1 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:58 pm

Putting together my Canik parts kit.
Will build the firing pin assemblies once the spring retainer clips show up.

2 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:09 am

Been meaning to post some ammo test results. Three different ammo manufacturers, Aguila, Minuteman Munitions and Federal. The Aguila is 115g FMJ range ammo, Minuteman is 147g Blue Coated Subsonic, Federal is 150g Syntech, noted as the "Official Ammunition of USPSA", and 124g Syntech. Bought 2 boxes of each of the Federal and Minuteman to test them out.

The gun has the DPP mounted and was sighted in with my range ammo of choice, Aguila 115g FMJ. Velocity is 1120 so the PF is 128.8, right around the 130 number most are targeting for competition loads. It's still a light snappy round, but has a lower PF than a lot of other 115 range ammo and shoots well. All shots were taken off my range bag.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

124g Syntech. 124g/1050 PF: 130.2 ($229.80/1000)

20 yd target with the 124g first 5 shots.
Using Sprinco RSA with white spring.

All but one pretty much in or on the circle. The DPP 7.5 moa triangle is actually a littler larger than 7.5 moa. It's designed where a 7.5 moa "dot" fits inside the triangle. So at 20 yards a 7.5 moa circle will cover 1.5" of the target. The triangle pretty much covered the whole circle at 20 yards. Plenty accurate for competition style shooting. The larger dot/triangle isn't intended to be used for precision shooting.

150g Syntech. 150g/870 PF: 130.5 ($239.80/1000)

20 yd target with the 150g first 5 shots.
Using Sprinco RSA with white spring.

Again, all but one pretty much in or on the circle. Pulled one a little right. But in the money for a large dot.

147g Minuteman Munitions Reload Subsonic Ammo 147g/900 PF: 132.3 ($189.98)

I wanted to try this ammo seeing it was priced right at $190.
:o ...unfortunately the SFX DID NOT like this stuff at all!!! POI was all over the place.
:-? ...Not really sure what was causing it, at one point I loaded three 150 Syntech and dropped them in the black. So I know it wasn't me.

Just ordered a case of the 150g to use for competition. Now I'm really starting to think seriously about getting a Dillon Super 1050. I have over 100# of 9mm brass I've collected after cleaning up behind myself at the range. Buying in bulk I should be able to reload with poly coated for around 10-12 cents per round or half the price of new Federal. I've reloaded 223/556 on a single stage press, and have all the accessories I need. I have a LGS about 20 minutes away who specializes in reloading, so I just might have to take a trip there and price things out.
2 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:17 pm

The Glock firing pin spring clips showed up today. I knew they were a lot smaller, but once captured within the spring and pressing against the upper firing pin neck, I think they they should be just fine. The fit around the FP shaft was perfect.

Now to swap out the firing pin. I really wanted to build a spare assembly to just drop in, in case of a failure in a match. Not being able to get the firing pin collet and return spring really sucks! Canik really needs to work on making more parts available!!!!

All together and ready to function check. Decided to stay with the 28N red spring.
Functioned just fine. :-BD

2 x

onlyoldiron4me
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 204

Post by onlyoldiron4me » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:03 pm

Cool laser setup, I use the ITarget laser bullet setup with my cellphone, it's a basically free app, all you need is a laser bullet!
1 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:39 pm

onlyoldiron4me wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:03 pm
Cool laser setup, I use the ITarget laser bullet setup with my cellphone, it's a basically free app, all you need is a laser bullet!
Anything that makes training more fun and constructive is good!
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:13 am

I ordered a black 0.60" S&W M&P front suppressor height sight from Dawson Precision which arrived Friday. I decided to install it yesterday and see if I could get it to co-witness low with the Deltapoint. I when with this sight because it was the only tall sight they had that would fit the SFX, and it was only $25.

To determine the height needed, I contacted both Leupold and Dawson to see what they recommended. Leupold said to add at least 0.65" to the height of the bottom of the window (glass) off the top of the slide. Dawson said they recommend adding 0.80" to the glass height off the slide. That was more for a true co-witness so I decided to go with the 0.65". The bottom of the glass was 0.433" off the slide, so I needed to be somewhere around 0.498". Pretty much right around 1/2" off the top of the slide.

I used the sight press to first remove the factory fiber optic sight and then install the new one. The fiber sight was on there pretty tight, but having the modified sight tool made it pretty easy as the slide could not twist at all.

Had to file a little off the bottom of the new sight for a proper fit.

:shock: ...The new sight looked like the damn "Empire State Building" on the gun!!!
Barely fit in the press keeping the sight tool pusher as low as possible. This is a clear example of the draw backs when mounting optics to a gun which uses "sight plates"! :sad:

Here it is pressed on the slide.

Next I decided to mill it to 0.52" and see how it co-witnessed. Once done I put the slide back together and on the gun. It was pretty close but still a little high. Milled it to 0.5" and it needed just a little more so I took it down to 0.495". It was right where it needed to be. Just needed to move the rear a little to get the dot to sit on the front sight and the laser bullet to all line up. Pretty happy with the results!

At this point I wanted to make sure I had enough clearance in the SMC holster.
:evil: ...DAMN![/b...the wide "foundation" on the bottom of the sight was too wide to fit into the sight channel in the holster. The "Canik" sights don't have that wide base on them. Unfortunately, Dawson didn't have one tall enough. So now that I know what the height is, I'm going to have to have a custom one made. I put the fiber back on because I have a practice shoot tomorrow night and need to use the holster. Really wanted to try and see how the gun shoots with the irons before having a custom one made. I'll guess I'll just have to put it back on and try it.

Sooooo...now I'm starting to rethink the "backup irons" thing for the SFX. Seeing the gun is only used for competition, should I really bother with it. All the big $$$ "Open Guns" are running without irons. If the optic failed at a match, I could swap plates and mount the Fastfire III and be back in business pretty quickly. I actually did this once when swapping from the FF3 and the Venom and then back to the FF3, and the POA/POI was on. Probably should have thought it through a little more before buying the DPP rear sight.
1 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:37 am

So...I figured since I bought the sight, I mine as well grind it down and see if I can make it fit the holster.

So I basically cut the bottom "foundation" level with the rest of the sight and see what happens.
Man...is that thing tall! Looks a little stupid if you ask me. :oops:

Would have been nice if the optic was sitting on the slide without the mounting plate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is where it gets interesting. I have two SMC Comp 2 holsters, and the gun fits in the newest one I just bought, but not in the first one. Seems the sight channels are slightly different. I had to really force the gun into the old one. The newer one was fine, even drawing the gun from it was fine.

New holster...

Old holster...

You can see where the sight is dragging in the sight channel...

Contacted SMC as I was curious about variations in the sight channel. The holsters are so nice, I assumed he was using CNC split molds, but that does mean you have to fold to the final shape. He replied and said I was right at the max of the sight channel height spec and folding can vary it slightly.

So now I might just throw on a 0.3+ sight and remove the rear. Just to have something to help point shoot with if the optic ever goes down. I figured with the time I've invested I mine as well see what the POA/POI is, so I'll probably go shoot it tomorrow morning and see what happens.
1 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:19 am

Well I wasn't happy with the "Tomahawk" look of the front suppressor sight!
So I decided to make some modifications last night. Ended up angling the back side and narrowed it down a little.
I think I'm going to "patent" them as "Shark Fin Suppressor Sights"!! :lol:

Here's what the finished product looks like...

BEFORE...

AFTER...

Decided last night I'd go to the indoor range in the morning to see how accurate the iron sights were.
I calculated the front height as follows...0.433" (bottom of sight window) + 0.065" (min recommended height above bottom of window from Leupold) = 0.498". I ended up cutting the sight to 0.52" to start with and worked my way down until I had the combat hold, DPP dot and Laserlyte all lined up. The sight height measured in at 0.495", pretty much right at the calculated value.

I had set the rear sight so the bottom of the notch was just above the optic body. With this configuration, seeing the 7.5 is a pyramid, the bottom of it is sitting at the bottom of the glass. This maintains a nice sight picture with the dot in the center of the glass. Irons are not cluttering the view.

Here are my first shots at 10 yards with the optic off, using just the irons...

Pretty damn good if I say so myself!!! \:d/

So for now I'm going to run this setup for a couple matches and see how things play out. I don't think the "backup irons" are going to cause any problems. If the optic was to fail, I can resort to irons and still be in the game.

AND...as a bonus, the gun now works fine in both holsters!!! There was a slight drag in the first holster, but that cleared itself up with a few draws and a little kydex dust!
1 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:19 am

I was pretty ambitious last night, and seeing my 9mm dies showed up, I decided to get the press setup after finishing the front sight.

I followed the recommended setting that are provided with the dies. That's how I set it up to do the 223 rounds a few years ago and I didn't have any issues. When doing the rifle rounds, I primed and powdered using separate stations. I used a hand primer and a crank powder dispenser.

This time I bought the Lee Auto Drum Powder Measure, and Safety Primer Feed to mount on the press. I wanted to try and do everything on the press this time. My only concern was making sure the powder drop was correct each time. Looking at the Dillon progressive presses, they have the powder check station which is a nice feature. For now I decided to buy an "Endoscope" to see the powder in the shell casings as I was working through the various stages. The system has built-in WIFI so all you have to do is connect your device to it's WIFI connection, and launch an app you can download, and watch the live video on your phone, or whatever device you want to use. You also can capture images from the app as well. For $36 I figured it was worth a try. I did make a simple bracket to hold the camera on the press.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MY ... UTF8&psc=1

Seems to work good!!! :-BD

Here's a picture of the shell casing after it was deprimed...

Bullet in place...

I adjusted everything except for the powder station as it was getting late. I processed a few bullets without seating a primer and dropping powder to get things set. I'll probably work on getting some actual rounds done this weekend. The 3 bullets I processed measured between 1.106"-1.109" and were check in the Lyman gauge.

The Chrono showed up Tuesday, and ACME bullets yesterday, so I should be all set to build and test a few different loads. I'm using the Hodgdon Titegroup specs to set the COL and powder loads, and will adjust based on what I'm getting on the Chrono.

0 x

runeight
Founding Member #: 198

Post by runeight » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:22 pm

Very nice setup. :-BD
0 x
We are in a civil war..
..we just haven’t brought out the guns.

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:05 pm

runeight wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:22 pm
Very nice setup. :-BD
Thank you Sir.
My wife's afraid of what this might lead to! :lol:
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:20 am

Decided to go ahead and get some rounds loaded up. Plan was to load 10 rounds groups at four different loads; 2.9g, 3.0g, 3.1g and 3.2g. Most people seem to be in the 3.0g powder drop range for 147g bullets and Titegroup powder. I want to try and get around a 128 PF load.

The brass was polished, washed and inspected last weekend. The press was setup the other day, less the powder stage. So I first started with thoroughly cleaning the entire powder drop system to make sure there was no oil residue present. Next got it mounted to the press and ready to go. I took a clean shell, deprimed, sized, and primed it as I would in a normal run. I then dropped a charge in the case, which measured 5.3g. So I made my first drop adjustment and got to 3.8g. Tweaked it a few more time to get to 2.9g. This was going to be my first drop value for 10 test rounds.

I charged the case 5 times and measured each to ensure the powder drop was consistent. I used the tare function on the scale to zero out the empty case weight. Next I charged a case, measured the powder weight, seated the bullet and did a factory crimp. The specs I had listed a COL of 1.10. I was measuring 1.107 on the first round. The round was then inserted into a case gauge and checked to make sure it fell out freely, to verify it was indeed a good round to shoot. The COL for all the bullets was in the 1.107 to 1.112 range. I'm going to pull the barrel on the SFX and check a few rounds by dropping them in the chamber and check the fit.

I decided to use my iPad to make it easier for viewing the powder charge in the case. Nice having the larger screen!

Here's a shot of an empty case on the iPad...

Closeup of a loaded case taken with my phone. I'll use this as my "Master Image" for a proper load. The difference between 2.9 and 3.2 is really undetectable looking at the powder in the case. The purpose of viewing the charged case is to make sure you don't have a squib, no powder, or a double charged load. Even the Dillon progressive presses with the powder check station is only doing a "coarse" check for basically the same thing.

I checked and measured each round individually to make sure I had the correct charge for each group. I was amazed at how accurate the Lee Auto Drum Powder Measure was. Of all the bullets processed, only 2 were off by 1 grain and I decided to just add them to the appropriate group.

I then labeled the outside of the container so there was no confusion as to what was what.

Plan is to go to the outdoor range tomorrow with the chrono and get some velocity and POA/POI accuracy data on the rounds. Keeping my fingers crossed I get some good results!!! :YMPRAY:
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:06 pm

Well...I decided to go to the outdoor range this morning to chrono the reloads I recently made. The plan was to fire 5 of each of the four different loads and record the velocity readings. The wind was blowing and it was only in the low 30s, pretty cold. To hold the piece of paper from blowing away, I grabbed a piece of cardboard out of the back of the truck and clipped the paper to it. I put the case with the bullets on it, opened it and reached over to grab a mag out of my bag, and the next thing I know the cardboard is flipped over and the bullets are scattered all over the bench! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I was really PISSED! So I decided to just shoot 1/2 the batch (20) and record each reading. All fired without any issues. The readings ranged from 857 to 933, for a PF range of 126.27 to 137.15. Pretty safe assumption the 2.9g loaded bullets were the lower PF and the 3.2g loaded bullets were higher. After that I decided to go to the indoor range to test their accuracy.

5 shots at 10 yards supported on range bag...

5 shots at 20 yards supported on range bag...

Pretty happy with the results. I could definitely feel the difference in the loads. I'm going to go ahead and make up a box of 50 loaded with 3.0g of Titegroup. That should put be between 128 - 129 PF, safely above the 125 limit.
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:48 pm

Shot my first USPSA match today with the Boston Urban Action Shooters. Match was indoors and limited to 40 shooters. Got there early and helped setup. As always, I met a nice bunch of guys. A lot different than shooting IDPA. A lot more moving around and you don't have to worry about cover of engage targets in tactical priority.

Had three mistakes...first was on stage 2, the first stage I had to shoot. I was the second shooter and was hoping to watch a few shoot and see their plan of attack compared to what I was thinking. There was a double vertical target in the rear that was right on the edge of a wall and I didn't engage it. :cry: cost me 2 mikes! Other than that I shot it fairly well. I brought my GoPro and it lasted long enough to get this stage and then died. I ordered a Mobius Maxi off Amazon for $80, so hopefully I can start getting some good video. I also asked a guy to video the stage with my cell phone. Unfortunately he somehow stopped the video instead of recording it. :-O

Stage 1 starts out with you shooting a popper to start a swinger and then engage the forward targets. Ran up and engaged all the targets behind the swinger, cleanly, and then had to run back and around to the left to engage the final targets. HOWEVER...I realized I forgot two targets that were to the left of the popper, which had to be engaged to the far right up against the wall. So I had to make a HARD RIGHT back towards the front to engage them and then back. Lost a little time, but I did get them.

Third mistake was shooting a target before moving to the next area where they had to be engaged. I was thinking more about my reload and counting shots. Basically 3 square shooting areas with 3 targets to engage at each. From the first station I shot 4 targets and then moved to the next shooting area. As soon as I got there I realized I screwed up. OH WELL! :lol:

Shot the classifier well! :-D

Overall it was a lot of fun. First time shooting a match indoors. You can tell from the video there's lots of targets in a relatively small area, with LOTS of no shoots and walls! The stage in the video had 16 cardboard targets and 5 metal to shoot for a minimum of 37 shots. All the white no shoots definitely made it challenging.

Thanks to @Janik...if nothing else I looked good representing Team Canik! :lol:
It was supposed to be a video...but a picture was better than nothing.

0 x

runeight

Post by runeight » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:00 pm

Getting into this competition shooting pretty heavy Glenn. Starting to reload also. Wish I had the time.

Shooting around other competitors you must of seen different makes and models. Also some good conversation I’m sure.

So, what would possibly be your next firearm for competition shooting?
0 x
We are in a civil war..

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:32 pm

runeight wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:00 pm
Getting into this competition shooting pretty heavy Glenn. Starting to reload also. Wish I had the time.

Shooting around other competitors you must of seen different makes and models. Also some good conversation I’m sure.

So, what would possibly be your next firearm for competition shooting?
USPSA is really different! What's really funny is, the guys running the $4-$6K STI, Atlas, Wilson Combats, etc ...were the ones have issues. Misfeeds, jams...rack, rack, strip mag, rack... I was really surprised! One guy with an Open Atlas gun got DQ'ed when he racked his slide with the quick-rack-lever and his gun went off without touching the trigger!!! The ones that impressed me were the 38 supers...they were like canons going off!!! No one shooting "Major" in IDPA.

To be perfectly honest...I had 78 Alphas, 6 Bravos, 9 Charlies, 0 Deltas and 1 Mike, not counting the target I didn't engage, so the accuracy was there. I don't think a $5K gun is going to do all that much to improve that. I going to start working on my shooting speed and movement. That's where the improvements are going to come from.
0 x

runeight

Post by runeight » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:54 pm

Funny you should mention 38 Super. My favorite cartridge and last count have six Supers. Looking to get another when I find one. (Sig)
0 x
We are in a civil war..

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:01 pm

With the GoPro on it's last leg...I wanted something that was small and simple to use. I ended up with a Mobius Maxi.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FC ... UTF8&psc=1

Here's an outside shot of the camera mounted to a cap...

Mounted under the brim. Easy access to turn in on/off and start/stop recording...

Tested the video in wide and narrow Field Of View (FOV) modes and both look great. I think the narrow FOV is going to give a more realistic Point Of View (POV) of what the shooter sees. I'll try it out at this Saturday's IDPA match and will report back with some video.
0 x