My First SFx Build

Modifications, Tutorials, Upgrades and Aftermarket Product Reviews.
GlennSFX
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 011

Re: My First SFx Build

Post by GlennSFX » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:55 am

Well the SFx was felling a little bit neglected with the arrival of the new Combat...
So we had to do a little something to keep her happy!!!

Sporting a new "Skirt" I mean mag well and +4 mag extension. Unfortunately the mag extension doesn't do much for the 10 round limited MA mags! :twisted:

On another note...the 8 moa dot on the Burris looks like a basketball compared to the Venom! :lol:
I'm going to replace the front sight with the same Dawson I put on the Combat. I like having that backup available. It also helps me when shooting off-hand to pick up the dot quicker.
0 x

runeight
Founding Member #: 198

Post by runeight » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:23 am

Sweet!

8 moa? That is large. Actually I didn’t know there was a 8 moa.
0 x
We are in a civil war..
..we just haven’t brought out the guns.

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:35 am

Spending Thanksgiving with family in Holly Springs NC. My brother who's been talking about buying a gun for the past 6 years, finally broke down, with some pressure from his oldest brother, and purchased a SFx. :-BD

He's been talking about getting a 1911 and has been researching them for years, and could never make a decision on one. He was looking at Dan Wesson, Les Baer, Wilson Combat, Carolina Arms Group, most of the higher precision built stuff. We went shopping yesterday and almost had him pulling the trigger on a STI Hawk 5. Beautiful gun! But...we had to go to another shop to look at the Les Baer again. It was the first time I had handled one and I was NOT impressed! Talk about a "TIGHT" gun...took a crazy amount of force to rack it, and the slide release was even worse! Had to use both thumbs to release the damn slide. I handed it back to my brother and said, "Good Luck enjoying that gun!!!". My son was with us and he felt the same way.

So LONG story short...we finally talked him into getting a polymer gun and worry about dropping $2K plus on a 1911/2011 later. My son's a Glock guy with some significant $$ spent on his 19 and 17, setup for shooting competition. Myself I like the SIGs and obviously the Caniks. My brother shot my SFx back in the summer and really liked it. I brought the EC down here over Thanksgiving and he really like it as well. After looking at just about all the polymer options...he finally decide to for the full size SFx. Thank God, after 6 hours I don't think I could take any more!!! :shock:

After driving around and shopping for hours, we finally got to the outdoor range around 4 PM and we figured we could get an hour of shooting in. I sent a case of 115g Lawman down from Target Sports USA, and between the three of us, blew through 650 rounds. I had one box of Fiocchi 124g I had him run through first and no issues. Moved to the 115 Lawman and had ZERO issues. Gun ran perfect. We'll probably head back to the range tomorrow. We have another full case of Federal 115 he ordered, and a few others want to tag along. My sister-in-law has a PPS M2 I bought her this past May and my daughter has her G19 I recently bought her for graduation from Duke Medical School. Looking forward to another fun day.
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:59 am

After installing the Trijicon on the Combat, I decided to put the Venom on the SFX. Used the Shootoff software to get the initial setup for POA/POI. It was just about dead on coming off the Combat. Went to the indoor range yesterday morning and got it tweaked in at 20 yards, didn't take much.

My son got me a new competition belt setup for Christmas and just had to try it out...soooooo I went to the outdoor range to shoot some steel. Worked on draw, doubles, multiple shots, speed reloads and distance. It was a little chilly, but made it through 300 rounds. Took a couple hours, but pretty happy with the results. The shot timer really helps you work on accuracy and speed. It's definitely a fine balance between the two! Good draw hits at 10 yds on the 8" plate were in the 1.27 - 1.41. Speed reloads were 3.12 - 3.34 and doubles were 2.16 - 2.34.

Also tried out the Minuteman Munitions 147g subsonic Blue Bullets.
https://www.minutemanmunitions.com/budg ... nic-147gr/

I decided to just shoot them on the steel without checking POA/POI on paper, I just wanted to see how they would perform. I started out at 7 yards and worked my way back to 25 before I was having a 50/50 hit/miss ratio on the 8" steel plate. All shots at the 2/3 silhouette at 25 were on, now I'll test them on paper and see how POI varies from the 115 range ammo. Really like the reduced recoil with the heavier bullet and subsonic loads. Have an IDPA match scheduled for 1/17 and thinking I'm going to use the blue bullets. Hopefully the weather will cooperate!
0 x

Flingit1200s

Post by Flingit1200s » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:40 am

Hi Glenn. Do you have any pictures of the 10 round mags pulled apart? I am curious as to how they limit them. Obviously if it was just a plug, when you added the extension, you would've just removed the plug and added the extension. Thanks.

John
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:37 pm

Flingit1200s wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:40 am
I am curious as to how they limit them.
Both sides of the magazine housing are crimped to limit the number of rounds that can be inserted.

0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:24 pm

Well it looks like I'll "officially" get to use my new rig in a real USPSA match!!!
http://lowcountryuspsa.com/sc-section-match/
Actually this is the same place we went to last summer for the day. Have pictures posted on page 2 of this thread from our trip there..

My wife and I were planning to visit my son for his birthday in March. He informed me yesterday he registered to shoot in a sectional match the weekend after his birthday. Well to make a long story short...I was able to book our flights and register for the last available slot in his squad yesterday. :-BD

The tough thing for me is there's not many USPSA events around me. Mostly IDPA and Steel Challenge. I found one club about an hour away that runs a USPSA event monthly, unfortunately too late for this months. Planning to go to next months. I have a couple IDPA shoots scheduled, so that's better than nothing. Actually USPSA is a little easier because there's no "Tactical Priority" for engaging targets. So for now I'm going in "Unclassified". Not a big deal. I'm really just looking to have fun, shoot well and enjoy it with my son!

Planning to hit my outdoor range every weekend prior to the match and get some practice in. Went there this morning with a couple targets to run some drills. Had a ton of rain yesterday, so the range was a little soggy.

Worked on singles from the holster, 1 to the body 10 yards out. Was focused on all down 0 shots under 2 seconds. Kept the times under 1.75 sec. You'll have to excuse the blue tape...couldn't find find my tan masking tape. l-)

Then shot doubles to the body at 10 yds.

Moved to 7 yds and shot 2 targets, 2 to the body and 1 to the head.

Shot two mags, 10 shots each rapid fire to the body...OK badgerboy, you can dump on me for the "&$#!ed-UP" MA gun laws! :lol:
I have my conceal carry license in SC as I own property there. I have one 20 round mag there and ordered 3 yesterday shipping to my son's place. No way do I want to compete with 10 round mags!!! [-X

Lastly I shot on the move.
Started 10 yds out to the left of the targets. Ran up to a 7yd mark, shot 2 body 1 head on target 1, moved to the right while shooting up to 5 yds, 2 body 1 head on target 2.

Shot 200 rounds with no failures of any kind. The SFX has been a great running gun!!!
Going to weld up two more based so I'll have 4 targets to setup for a mini stage to run.

Now it's all about getting trigger time both on the indoor and outdoor ranges, and ShootOff in the house.

My goal is to shoot clean and not be focused on times and speed.
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:03 pm

Posted in a separate thread about my Freedomsmith trigger failing. Was at the outdoor range to get some practice in before next Saturdays match. It was very cold, 16* when I left the house. I spent Thursday evening and Saturday morning building a plate rack. I bought six 8" AR500 plates before Christmas with the intention of building a knock-down plate rack. However with the added work and cost, I decided to make them "floating". They won't move as much as hanging plates, but will defect the lead down.

Main assembly is 2.5" 1/4" angle. I wanted it to be portable so I use telescoping square tubing, 2.5" and 2.25" on the two main support halves. The support assembly is 8'.

I have a standard design I use for legs so I made a few of them as well.

Picture of the plate assembly. To make the plate somewhat floating, I used 5/8" bolts which have play in the 3/4" hole that comes cut in the plate. I used a cotter pin and a washer to limit the travel of the plate on the bolt. The nut is jammed up tight to the end of the threads.

Here's the plate assembly mounted to the main assembly.

Here's the rack in it's "knocked down" state.
All connections use the telescoping tubing. Really quick to assemble and disassemble.

AND...here it is at the range with limited hits due to the triger failure.
My best time drawing from the holster at 10 yards was 4.89. Not too bad with gloves on...which I hate by the way. But it was just so damn cold!

Started with some deliberate practice working on sight picture, trigger feel and one handed shooting. Again not too bad considering the temps and gloves.

First two targets...

Third...

Never got to shoot my IDPA targets! :sad:
1 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:00 pm

New Competition Shirt arrived today!!!! :-BD

0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:36 am

Gun is all cleaned and ready to have the broken Freedomsmith trigger safety replace!
Had to use a tiny screwdriver to disengage the safety which hits the frame in order to pull the trigger to remove the slide.
Replacement safety lever is scheduled to arrive Thursday.

1 x

Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Post by Janik » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:57 am

GlennSFX wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:36 am
Gun is all cleaned and ready to have the broken Freedomsmith trigger safety replace!
Please take some pics when you replace it. Could be very helpful to some people (like me) if they have to replace theirs. Hoping mine doesn't break, but it could be a matter of time.
1 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:02 am

Janik wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:57 am
GlennSFX wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:36 am
Please take some pics when you replace it. Could be very helpful to some people (like me) if they have to replace theirs. Hoping mine doesn't break, but it could be a matter of time.
I was planning on putting together a "step by step" guide to replacing it!
0 x

Janik
Staff Member

Post by Janik » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:05 am

GlennSFX wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:02 am
I was planning on putting together a "step by step" guide to replacing it!
That would be great! Once you have it done, we should put the tutorial on the CF Website as well.
1 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:33 am

After the broken FS trigger safety, I wanted to make sure I have a spare firing pin assembly before the match in NC.
I ordered the following...

Canik Firing Pins... https://www.centuryarms.com/canik-firing-pins.html
Ghost 6# Glock firing pin spring... https://ghostinc.com/6-0-lb-extra-power ... g-striker/
Striker Spring Retainer Cups... https://www.midwayusa.com/product/63619 ... 6-37-38-39

I'm currently running the Red 28N Glock spring. I went with the Ghost this time because I couldn't find the 28N available on-line.
28 newtons converts to 6.29 pounds so it's the same as the Ghost extra power spring. Got a 3 pack for $6.99.

Looks like the Glock Spring Cups should work. I figured for short money I'd give them a try. Ordered 2.

I wish Canik would make a "full complement" of spare parts available!!! :-x
They have a nice parts breakdown of the gun with all the parts listed with part numbers, but only limited parts available from Century Arms. This is my biggest pet peeve with the Canik line.
1 x

Janik
Staff Member

Post by Janik » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:06 am

GlennSFX wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:33 am
I wish Canik would make a "full complement" of spare parts available!
Last year I spoke with someone at Century and suggested a Canik Panic kit, like the Glock survival kit or something. It sounded like they were planning to offer something like that. But you know things move slowly with some companies. And I imagine it has something to do with importation. From my understanding, when they do warranty work, they have to "kill" a Canik to save a Canik. Maybe the import of parts is getting better for them, but they could really gain traction if they had a decent parts availability like other manufacturers.
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:57 am

Janik wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:06 am
GlennSFX wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:33 am
I wish Canik would make a "full complement" of spare parts available!
Last year I spoke with someone at Century and suggested a Canik Panic kit, like the Glock survival kit or something. It sounded like they were planning to offer something like that. But you know things move slowly with some companies. And I imagine it has something to do with importation. From my understanding, when they do warranty work, they have to "kill" a Canik to save a Canik. Maybe the import of parts is getting better for them, but they could really gain traction if they had a decent parts availability like other manufacturers.
Century should work out a deal with Canik to manufacture spare parts here in the US. Just a matter of licensing and supplying drawings and specs. Can't imagine it would be too hard to do.
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:33 pm

OK...So I came home to a new trigger safety and another package I'll save for the end.
I'm not going to document the take down process of the frame, there's enough documentation and videos on how to do that.
The one thing I do to manage parts is use a paper plate with a piece of masking tape with the sticky side up and another piece to hold one side down. Secures small pieces and keeps them in place.

Here's my work space and tools for the entire take down and trigger safety replacement.

...and of course the new trigger safety.

Here we are with the trigger and trigger bar removed from the gun.

I used the armorer's block, punch and hammer to remove the trigger safety/trigger bar roll pin.
I just drove the entire pin out of the trigger. The block holes makes it really easy to punch out all the pins in the frame as well. The plan was to start clean and drive the new roll pin in just enough to align the new trigger safety. I first wanted to try and fit the new safety into place, so I used a punch in place of the roll pin. It was a little tricky to finagle it into place, the spring was at a little bit of a funny angle, but was able to get it into place.

Here's the broken safety with the new HD one.

The key to installing the safety and trigger bar it to use a vise. The tolerances for the safety and trigger bar are pretty tight and trying to punch the roll pin into place to just catch each is tough. I found that out the first time installing the new FS trigger and the vise worked great.

With the safety roll pin removed, you can insert the new HD safety into the trigger. I found you have to insert the larger portion that your trigger finger engages first in order to get the spring in place and properly position the safety in the trigger.

I used the block and tapped the new roll pin into the trigger to get it started, using my index finger to keep the safety in place. I then placed the trigger in the vise to press the roll pin into place, just enough so it was barely protruding out towards the trigger bar side.

Now it was time to get the trigger bar in place and press the roll pin fully into place.
The beauty of using the vise is you can move the roll pin very slowly, tightening the vise with my right hand, while "feeling" the trigger bar catch with my left hand. Once it's caught, you can press the roll pin fully into place.

Now it was just a matter of reassembling the frame. I used the punches to keep things aligned while inserting the frame roll pins and the trigger roll pin. A little tape on the slide release spring helps to keep it in place when inserting the front block. Even with the tape you still have to position and hold the spring in place. The end of the spring that's inserted into the hole in the frame has to tight against the frame for the front block to be inserted.

0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:40 pm

All in all it really wasn't too bad. It took about an hour and 15 minutes from start to finish.
Gun is functioning fine and the new safety is definitely much beefier then the original. You can see where the old one just sheared right off right on the shelf lip.

Image from the Canik Facebook Page.

Here's the gun all back together...and yes...with a new optic!!!

Decide to go with the Deltapoint Pro with the 7.5 moa triangle reticle. Seeing it's just a Comp gun, I'm not planning to use any backup iron sights right now. No one running "Open Guns" with optics use them.
Purchased it on eBay for $339 shipped. Ordered it Sunday night and had it in my hands Thursday.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leupold-119687 ... 2749.l2649

The sight picture with the larger viewing window is awesome. Getting back on target with the 7.5 moa is fast and easy, again with the help of the larger window. I think this is probably going to be the best optic for competition.

Used mounting plate #4 and the screws provided with the optic. Same deal as the Trijicon using plate #3 and supplied screws.
Used my Laserlyte bullet to get the initial zero done and will go to the range to morrow morning to set the final zero at 20 yards.
The triangle is super sharp. A couple initial thoughts...first I wish the brightness adjustment had separate buttons for increasing and decreasing the brightness. With the button on top of the battery compartment, you have to move your finger every time you adjust it to see the dot. Second is it would be nice if it had an "Auto Brightness" mode. Spoiled with the other three that all have it. Other than that I think having the top point of the triangle to use for precision shots is going to work out nicely.

Pretty happy to have her back in operation!!! :-BD
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:53 am

After getting my initial zero set with the laserlyle last night at home, I went to the this morning to zero with ammo.
All "Zero Targets" were shot using my range bag as a rest.

Started out at my usual 10 yards using the RMR 10 Yd Zero target. 10 Shots.
Needed a little tweak to the windage and some to the elevation.

5 shots after the adjustments.
Still needed a little more on the elevation.

Another 5 shots and looking like we're there!

Now to move out to 20 yds. basaed on the ballistics and past zeros, the POI should be high, and it was.

5 shots after elevation adjustment.
A few shots were a little left so a small adjustment was made.

5 shots and we're in the money!
At 20 yards with the 7.5 moa, I'm satisfied with the results.

Moved in to 10 yards and shot freehand.
Dead bad Guy!

Gun functioned perfectly and hopefully the new HD safety is one and done!!!
1 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:08 pm

Shot my 3rd IDPA match Saturday. Couldn't have been much colder, 17* when I left the house. The forecast was calling for a wintry mix beginning late afternoon. The sun was just breaking out when we started. Seeing it was so cold I decided to focus on accuracy and not speed. I was looking to keep my raw times in the mid 20s. It was also only my second time shooting with the DPP, first time outdoors.I was in group 3 so stage 3 was my first to shoot. Started with a metal popper that trigger a twisting target and a swinger. There were two other targets to engage on that side of the barrier. Moving to a small window opening, there were 4 targets to shoot with 3 being blocked by the swinging no-shoot. Ended up only 1 down, but on my reload, I had a second mag come out of it's holder, which resulted in a procedural. I'm attributing it to the heavier jacket I had on. I also had a hit on the swinging non-treat, which just clipped the head and ended up hitting one of the three targets it was swinging in front of. I only put two shots on each target so it had to be a pass through hit on the outer two. So overall I was happy with the results.

Now for the interesting part...
The sun decided to come out, which I was thinking is a positive thing, until I engaged the first target, and was presented with a starburst in my sight picture, could barely see the target. Kinda panicked, but continued to shoot on the targets. Ended up 14 points down and a hit in the black no-shoot area.

After shooting the stage and holstering the gun, I look down through the DPP and the damn thing looks perfectly normal, exactly how I set it! WTF!

The next stage...same damn thing!!! All targets we at 20 yards and I ended up 27 points down! :sad:
After I finished, I asked the safety officer that's running the timer, if I could go to the safe table to see what was up with my optic. He said there has to be a safety officer there with you and I'd have to wait until we walked off to the next stage. So at this point I'm thinking it has to do with facing directly into the sun and possibly wearing polarized glasses. By the time I can get to the safe table, the clouds began rolling in and the sun is behind the clouds. I explain to Charlie what had happened, but of course now it's not doing it.

Next two stages shot 2 down on each with one procedural on stage 1. Somehow I didn't top off one of my mags, and after a reload, had the slide lock back after 3 shots. At first I thought I had a double feed, so I was getting ready to strip the mag and saw the mag follower! :shock: Dropped the mag, reloaded and continued shooting. Stage one was the slowest as it was 3 shots on each target strong hand on one side of the barrier and support hand only on the other.

So it was an INTERESTING day to say the least. Finished 26th out of 42, with a bunch of guys shooting pistol carbine (PCC). No way you stand a chance against those guys!

The only other time I've had an issue with aiming on a target with the early sun low and directly in my face, was shooting 3D archery. I use a HHA single pin scope with a green dot and a 2X lens and have a similiar issue, where the sun is radiating on the lens and screwing up your sight picture with a bunch of glare. However it was not nearly as bad as the "starburst" with the dot projected on the lens.

Next sunny day I'm going to go outside and see if i can replicate what happened. I also when to the Oakley store and got a set non-polarized Prizm golf lens. They make a TR45 and TR22 shooting lens, but many say the TR22 is too dark, and the TR45 can be too light based on the lighting conditions. So after going through the Oalkey lens spec sheet they had there, the golf lens (TR30), is in between and a little on the darker side. The guy installed them and I went outside, even though it was cloudy, they looked really nice. The rose color really made things pop.

Once I figure out what happened shooting into the sun, and what caused the weird starburst, I'll post something in the Red Dot thread.
0 x