My First SFx Build

Modifications, Tutorials, Upgrades and Aftermarket Product Reviews.
GlennSFX
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 011

Re: My First SFx Build

Post by GlennSFX » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:07 am

Just received notice from Smokey Mountain Concealment that my holster has shipped. :-BD
Pretty quick considering I ordered it on 7/24. So a little over a week to fulfill the order. Should be seeing it mid next week.
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:29 am

I didn't get to open the package from SMC that arrived yesterday until late last night. Was out fishing in the canyons, West Atlantis to be exact, in a fishing tournament. Conditions looked favorable so we decided to head out and target Mahi. Slept overnight on the boat Sunday seeing we were planning to head out at 3 AM. After a 5 hour run, we started fishing around 8;30 once we scouted the area out. Started casting with spinning rods around every high flyer (lobster pot markers) we came across. Caught a few between 20-32", but didn't get the 36" minimum length (for points) required for the tournament. Finally decided to troll to see if we could hit on the larger bulls. FINALLY we pulled in a 34" and then a big bull measuring in at 42"!!!

So now back to the topic at hand. :lol:

I was definitely tired considering I was up at 2:30 AM and didn't get home until 10:20 PM, but I couldn't resist opening the package, Christmas in August, you know how it goes! All I can say is WOW!!! :o Just an absolutely awesome holster. Really glad I went with the OD Green Carbon Fiber. Fit is perfect, quality is second to non, compared to other holster I own, and it's just plan nice looking! I just might have to start carrying "OPEN" just to show it off! :lol:

Would absolute recommend SMC to anyone thinking of purchasing a holster!!!

0 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:51 am

Wow, extremely good looking holster. If I get an EDC holster, carbon fiber finish is definitely the way I would go now.

Can't say that I am wild about the logo, though.
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:07 pm

So I just had to take advantage of our "Tax Free Weekend" and bought me a SF Elite... \:d/
Couldn't wait for the Elite Combat!

Trigger is very similar to the stock SFx, maybe a little less take up. Break and reset is really nice and crisp. Trigger pull weight is right around 3 lbs 7 oz. Going to polish the plunger, triggerbar and maybe replace the plunger spring. Just want to get rid of the grittiness.

Went to the indoor range seeing it's been raining most of the day. Disassembled, cleaned and lubed the gun before going. Brought some 147g Federal (PF 147) and some 115g Fiocchi (PF 138). Started with the 147, just sending some rounds down range to check that the gun was functioning properly. Went through two boxes of the 147 with no failures of any kind. Moved on to the box of 115 and again no failures of any kind. The 115 was not as snappy as the 147. One issue shooting with the fiber optic sight indoors, it's like having "blacked out sights"...the lighting sucks! Can't wait to get it outside and shoot some metal!

Overall pretty happy with it right out of the box...but the SFx is going to be hard to beat! :lol:

Last 10 rounds of 147 at 10 yards...

Last 10 shots of the box of 115...

0 x

Father of 5
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Father of 5 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:09 pm

I have an elite and love it. I hope you enjoy yours. I'm hoping to save up and get an sfx or the new elite combat within the next year. Glad you could take advantage of a "tax break". ☺
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:46 am

Father of 5 wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:09 pm
I'm hoping to save up and get an sfx or the new elite combat within the next year.
The SFx was my first Canik, and after the mods...it's simply an AMAZING gun!!!
Seeing you have the Elite, I'd opt to get the SFx next.
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:48 pm

So...I decided to order a new FP plunger spring from Cajun Gun Works for the Elite, https://cajungunworks.com/product/2389/. I want to get rid of the grittiness in the trigger pull. I replaced the one in the SFx with this one, polished the plunger, plunger housing, and trigger bar, it made a significant difference. Overall the Elite is a nice compact size gun! Would like to have a flat trigger, but I can live with the stock one.

Shooting in another Steel Challenge this weekend with the SFx. :-D
0 x

John_

Post by John_ » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:04 pm

Good luck in the Steel Challenge, Glenn :)
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:26 pm

^^ Thank you Sir!
0 x

madscrapper85

Post by madscrapper85 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:30 pm

Just picked up a sfx and went to the range for the first time I picked up one in FDE probably going to copy your build, can't wait already like the gun leaps and bounds over my XD with the trigger take up gone this thing will be fantastic.
0 x

ImMobyYouDick
Founding Member #: 1337

Post by ImMobyYouDick » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:37 am

Trust me the trigger is amazing.
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:48 pm

madscrapper85 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:30 pm
Just picked up a sfx and went to the range for the first time I picked up one in FDE probably going to copy your build, can't wait already like the gun leaps and bounds over my XD with the trigger take up gone this thing will be fantastic.
Hey madscrapper85...been away for a little while, life's been a little crazy. Also dealing with some Carpal Tunnel in my strong hand wrist, so I have shot in a few weeks.

The SFx is a great gun and with a few mods...it's a really great gun!!!
Let me know how it goes and what you thing of it.
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:48 pm

ImMobyYouDick wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:37 am
Trust me the trigger is amazing.
I'll definitely second that!!!!! :-BD
0 x

madscrapper85

Post by madscrapper85 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:49 pm

GlennSFX wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:48 pm
madscrapper85 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:30 pm
Hey madscrapper85...been away for a little while, life's been a little crazy. Also dealing with some Carpal Tunnel in my strong hand wrist, so I have shot in a few weeks.

The SFx is a great gun and with a few mods...it's a really great gun!!!
Let me know how it goes and what you thing of it.
So far I'm loving it. I installed a Cajun Gun Works reduced power plunger spring loved that, and the gun shot fantastically with just that and some polishing. I have now installed a Freedomsmith trigger which was a bit frustrating but I will say the customer service there is above and beyond and I'll be getting more stuff from them. I'm still sorting it out completely but I really like the feel and the fact it took almost all the take up out is awesome. Loving the SFx so far for sure.
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:11 am

madscrapper85...glad you're enjoying the upgrades!
The only issue I had installing the FS trigger was getting the trigger bar in place. Using a vise to "press" the pin in place, as oppose to hammering it, made the install easy.
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:01 pm

The SFx and the SF Elite now have a new sibling...

Just picked it up from my LGS and the trigger is just as good as the FS trigger I installed in the SFX!!!!!! :-BD
I think this thing is going to be SWEET! :-D
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:47 pm

I have a few post on my new Combat in a couple other threads on the Combat. I figured I'd just update this thread with the few add-ons to the Combat. This gun doesn't need anywhere near the upgrades the SFX did.

So today I received my Talon grip. I have them on most of my guns and swear by them. With the Combat I decided to take a little different approach. I knew I was going to have to trim it for the mag well, and decided to make it fit so the back strap would be removable.

Really happy with the finished product...

0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:05 pm

Went to the range yesterday to get the Venom zeroed in. I initially set it up with my laser bullet and ShootOff software. Didn't take too long to get it set at 5 yards.

I like using these ARMA Dynamics target for setting up a red dot at 10 yards...
http://arma-dynamics.com/pistol-targets.html

Here was the first three shots...

Made my windage adjustment and shot these 3...

Dropped the elevation a couple clicks and ended up with this...

Will hit the outdoor range hopefully this weekend and see how it looks at longer distances.
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:31 pm

I'm really liking this gun and want to make it "more carry friendly".
Working with Dawson Precision to get a sight that will give me something close to a 1/3 co-witness using the "white stripes" and the top of the rear of the optic as my rear iron. After a couple sketches and some math, I ordered a .430 tall sight. This will get me above the rear of the optic and into the glass. The plan is to cut out the fiber and use the "hole" to place on the target and hopefully have it sit right on top and between the white lines. Similar to "dotting the i" technique.

Similar to the XS Sights...
https://www.xssights.com/Handgun_Sights_pr-8208.aspx

Dawson sight...
https://dawsonprecision.com/dawson-prec ... nt-sights/

Rear view of the Venom...
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:59 am

Just to keep this thread up to date, seeing I'm using it more as a "My Canik Pistols" Build thread...I installed the new Dawson Precision sight last night and pretty happy with it.

Here's a link to the thread I started specifically pertaining to this mod/upgrade...

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=934

This is quickly becoming one of my all time favorite guns!!!! :X
It's a shooter!

0 x