SF Elite Guide Rod Tests

Modifications, Tutorials, Upgrades and Aftermarket Product Reviews.
GallowayPrecision
Supporting Vendor

SF Elite Guide Rod Tests

Post by GallowayPrecision » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:29 pm

2 x

Lgaam
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 080

Re: SF Elite Guide Rod Tests

Post by Lgaam » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:53 am

Way back when she was new, my Elite had a very erratic/weak ejection pattern. Cases would dribble out and fall right next to me, pop straight up or even bean me in the forehead. Now, with several hundred rounds of practice and carry ammo, she tosses everything out between 3 and 4 o'clock. Hotter NATO or +p may even fall a little forward.

While I'm not particularly interested in changing the spring spec, what other advantage does the SS guide rod give me?
0 x

GallowayPrecision
Supporting Vendor

Post by GallowayPrecision » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:29 am

Lgaam wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:53 am
Way back when she was new, my Elite had a very erratic/weak ejection pattern. Cases would dribble out and fall right next to me, pop straight up or even bean me in the forehead. Now, with several hundred rounds of practice and carry ammo, she tosses everything out between 3 and 4 o'clock. Hotter NATO or +p may even fall a little forward.

While I'm not particularly interested in changing the spring spec, what other advantage does the SS guide rod give me?
The different spring rates will change the amount of felt recoil and muzzle rise.
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 011

Post by GlennSFX » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:10 am

GallowayPrecision wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:29 am
Lgaam wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:53 am

The different spring rates will change the amount of felt recoil and muzzle rise.
Also "forward weight" to help reduce muzzle rise. A lot of manufacturers use plastic guide rods. Longevity as well over the plastic.
1 x

Lgaam
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 080

Post by Lgaam » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:21 pm

GlennSFX wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:10 am

Also "forward weight" to help reduce muzzle rise. A lot of manufacturers use plastic guide rods. Longevity as well over the plastic.
D'oh! I knew that one. It didn't occur to me until I was reading it, though. I've noticed the difference after mounting a light to a pistol, but never had the chance to swap a guide rod.
0 x

Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Post by Janik » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:01 pm

GlennSFX wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:10 am
Also "forward weight" to help reduce muzzle rise
I'm hopefully going to be buying a 22 or 24lb spring tomorrow from Galloway Precision, along with another reduced power spring kit for my latest V2 purchase. I'll have to run it side by side with one of my un-modified V2's.
0 x