OLight PL-2RL BALDR

Modifications, Tutorials, Upgrades and Aftermarket Product Reviews.
Gadget Guy
Founding Member #: 2025

OLight PL-2RL BALDR

Post by Gadget Guy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:09 pm

I recently picked up the newest WML from OLight. The PL-2RL. It's basically the Valkyrie with a laser attached to the bottom. 1200/400 lumens with a strobe.

Mounted on the SFX.

The quick release is nice. No messing around with tightening nuts. Just flip the lever and push it in.

Lever flipped and pushed in.

There is a selector switch to chose light / laser / or both. The strobe only works when a lighted mode is selected.

The light on 1200 is bright enough to light up a room, or your back yard. In 400 it's still very bright. The laser is easily seen in any mode. I pointed it at a fence 5 yards away and it was still very bright. I don't have any night picks yet. It snowed recently so it's already bright out at night.

The only issue I have with it is the 1913 rail adapter. It is made to mil spec. 0.100" . The rail on both my AD and ADD are only cut to 0.070" . This makes the adapter sit too high so it will not clamp to the rail. It clamps find with no adapter. It is possible to slide it in the rail with no adapter mounted. I have not been to the range yet so I don't know if it will move while shooting.

I was told by someone at OLight that it uses the same rail adapters as the Valkyrie. It would be great if someone could measure the height of their adapter mounted to the light. I'm curious if it's the same height of not.

The last pic is where the cr-123 batteries go.

0 x

Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Re: OLight PL-2RL BALDR

Post by Janik » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:52 pm

I saw this listed on their site the other day. I think they make a quality product. I just wish their PL Valkyrie and this new one came with rechargeable batteries like the PL Mini.
0 x

Gadget Guy

Post by Gadget Guy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:35 pm

Janik wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:52 pm
I just wish their PL Valkyrie and this new one came with rechargeable batteries like the PL Mini.
I've been looking at the mini too. I do like the rechargeable batteries in it. I think it would look great on the SF. I'm just not sure if it's going to fit right.
0 x

Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Post by Janik » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:13 am

Gadget Guy wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:35 pm
Janik wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:52 pm
I just wish their PL Valkyrie and this new one came with rechargeable batteries like the PL Mini.
I've been looking at the mini too. I do like the rechargeable batteries in it. I think it would look great on the SF. I'm just not sure if it's going to fit right.
I definitely like the magnetic charging, so I don't even have to remove the light from the gun. But, with the quick release it's not that big of a deal. I've had the mini on my SFx and other Caniks without issue.
0 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:07 am

A laser on a red dot? You're kind of a belt and suspenders type of guy?

I have shot laser equipped pistols before and didn't like them at all. I was suspicious that red dots would be equally hard to to manage until I got our forum's popular SFX/Venom combo. What a difference and much better than a laser.
0 x

Gadget Guy

Post by Gadget Guy » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:14 pm

ncjw wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:07 am
A laser on a red dot? You're kind of a belt and suspenders type of guy?
Well my forum name is Gadget Guy. :-BD

I got a great deal on it. Wanted to see if it would be a good counterweight too.

Unfortunately the picatinny rail adapter does not fit. The slots in the rail on both my guns are too shallow and the light will not stay in place without it. :-x
0 x