Talon Grips

Modifications, Tutorials, Upgrades and Aftermarket Product Reviews.
Post Reply
User avatar
Janik
Staff Member
Posts: 1077
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:59 pm
Founding Member #: 001
Location: Iowa
Contact:

Talon Grips

Post by Janik » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:20 pm

Looking at getting a couple sets of the Talon Grips. I've been using Traction Grips, and am happy with them, but I want to outfit a couple of my Caniks with Talon Grips. Looking for opinions though, rubber or granulate? I didn't realized they made two different versions. I'm leaning towards the granulate, but would like to hear feedback from people who have Talon Grips already.
0 x

User avatar
runeight
Member
Posts: 493
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:00 pm
Founding Member #: 198
Location: Southwest Desert

Re: Talon Grips

Post by runeight » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:22 pm

Janik wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:20 pm
Looking at getting a couple sets of the Talon Grips. I've been using Traction Grips, and am happy with them, but I want to outfit a couple of my Caniks with Talon Grips. Looking for opinions though, rubber or granulate? I didn't realized they made two different versions. I'm leaning towards the granulate, but would like to hear feedback from people who have Talon Grips already.
Would think it’s more a personal preference. Granulate for sweaty hands? Rubber for comfort?

I don’t have any on my firearms.
1 x
We are in a civil war..
..we just haven’t brought out the guns.

User avatar
jgillaspy
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:24 pm

Re: Talon Grips

Post by jgillaspy » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:46 pm

I had the rubber ones on my M&P Shield 9mm. I liked them, but failed to clean the weapon well enough and they started to peel up. I removed them and never bought more. From what I read before getting the rubber ones the granulate was very aggressive. I just wanted a little more grip which the rubber did well.

JG
1 x

User avatar
Janik
Staff Member
Posts: 1077
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:59 pm
Founding Member #: 001
Location: Iowa
Contact:

Re: Talon Grips

Post by Janik » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:59 pm

jgillaspy wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:46 pm
I had the rubber ones on my M&P Shield 9mm. I liked them, but failed to clean the weapon well enough and they started to peel up. I removed them and never bought more. From what I read before getting the rubber ones the granulate was very aggressive. I just wanted a little more grip which the rubber did well.

JG
Makes me wonder then. I'm happy with the rubber Traction Grips, and they are a few bucks cheaper. I have them on several Caniks and have never had an issue with peeling. Maybe I'll just save a few bucks and stick with the rubber Traction Grips.
0 x

Retiredtrooper
Member
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:42 pm
Founding Member #: 3871

Re: Talon Grips

Post by Retiredtrooper » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:19 pm

I had the granular on a G34, and have the rubber on my SFX, and I prefer the rubber by a WIDE margin. My hands sweat, but don't have a problem with them at all.
1 x

User avatar
Janik
Staff Member
Posts: 1077
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:59 pm
Founding Member #: 001
Location: Iowa
Contact:

Re: Talon Grips

Post by Janik » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:27 pm

Retiredtrooper wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:19 pm
I had the granular on a G34, and have the rubber on my SFX, and I prefer the rubber by a WIDE margin. My hands sweat, but don't have a problem with them at all.
I may end up getting a set of the rubber Talon Grips, just so I can compare them to the rubber Traction Grips I currently use.
0 x

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor
Posts: 195
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:10 pm

Re: Talon Grips

Post by Tejas Products » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:56 pm

Unless you’re running around in a competition and need an aggressive grip, I would stay with rubber. Much more comfortable.
1 x
Beware of Dragons. For you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

User avatar
Janik
Staff Member
Posts: 1077
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:59 pm
Founding Member #: 001
Location: Iowa
Contact:

Re: Talon Grips

Post by Janik » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:27 am

Tejas Products wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:56 pm
Unless you’re running around in a competition and need an aggressive grip, I would stay with rubber. Much more comfortable.
Hmm, good point. Maybe I'll try the granulate on my SFx, and the rubber on a CC gun.
0 x

inletguy
Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:17 pm

Re: Talon Grips

Post by inletguy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:55 pm

can you put the Talon Grips on yourself....just pulling them up on the grips?
0 x

User avatar
Janik
Staff Member
Posts: 1077
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:59 pm
Founding Member #: 001
Location: Iowa
Contact:

Re: Talon Grips

Post by Janik » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:40 pm

inletguy wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:55 pm
can you put the Talon Grips on yourself....just pulling them up on the grips?
They have self adhesive, and wrap around the grip. I haven't tried the Talon Grips myself yet, but I have several sets of Traction Grips on my Caniks. Easy to install, just follow directions and use a hair dryer or heat gun. I assume the Talon Grips would require the same.
1 x

User avatar
kjphilippona
Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:52 am
Location: Enterprise Al.

Re: Talon Grips

Post by kjphilippona » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:52 am

Janik wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:40 pm
inletguy wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:55 pm
can you put the Talon Grips on yourself....just pulling them up on the grips?
They have self adhesive, and wrap around the grip. I haven't tried the Talon Grips myself yet, but I have several sets of Traction Grips on my Caniks. Easy to install, just follow directions and use a hair dryer or heat gun. I assume the Talon Grips would require the same.
Yes Talon grips install the same way!
1 x

oldfrank
Member
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:37 pm

Re: Talon Grips

Post by oldfrank » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:51 am

I have used both and rubber and granulated. Talon used to only have granulated and they do grip well but are very rough and will tear up a moisture wicking shirt by rubbing on it.
Now I use soft rubber ones. I used to use talon but when they doubled the price I have only bought Traction grips and never had any trouble with either.
Just follow the directions. Wipe the grip area down with supplier alcohol pad. Peel backing off the grip and get it how you like it and after installing heat with a hair dryer to get warm and grip it and pat it down in place to activate the glue.
I have never had one come off thriugh many cleanings but I try not to get anything aggressive like carb cleaner on the grip.
0 x

User avatar
Janik
Staff Member
Posts: 1077
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:59 pm
Founding Member #: 001
Location: Iowa
Contact:

Re: Talon Grips

Post by Janik » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:25 am

oldfrank wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:51 am
I have only bought Traction grips and never had any trouble with either.
I've only used the Traction Grips and have been very happy with them. Since I'm just now getting into competition and haven't put them on a comp gun yet, how have they held up in hot weather with sweaty hands? I've had them at the range on a hot summer day and sweating without issue. Just curios to hear from competition shooters who use them.
0 x

User avatar
GlennSFX
Global Moderator
Posts: 545
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:47 pm
Founding Member #: 011
Location: MA

Re: Talon Grips

Post by GlennSFX » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:03 pm

I've always used the Talon rubber grips and have been very happy with them. I bought my first granular grip for my P320 X-Carry grip dedicated for competition, and ripped it off after the second stage...TOO GRIPPY. Once you grabbed the gun it was like it was glued to your hand. Couldn't make any fine adjustments. Didn't like the feel of it.

Rubber grip on the SFX...

Image
0 x

User avatar
Janik
Staff Member
Posts: 1077
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:59 pm
Founding Member #: 001
Location: Iowa
Contact:

Re: Talon Grips

Post by Janik » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:44 pm

GlennSFX wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:03 pm
I've always used the Talon rubber grips and have been very happy with them. I bought my first granular grip for my P320 X-Carry grip dedicated for competition, and ripped it off after the second stage...TOO GRIPPY. Once you grabbed the gun it was like it was glued to your hand. Couldn't make any fine adjustments. Didn't like the feel of it.

Rubber grip on the SFX...

Image
Good feedback, thank you. I've been really sweaty with the rubber Traction Grips on, and have been happy with the performance. If I'm not going to get the granulate, I guess at this point I might as well stay with the Traction Grips. Not to mention, @Tejas Products is always working on new and cool products for Caniks and other firearms. I'm excited to get his leather grip and get it installed.
0 x

FreedomFries
Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:15 pm
Location: Granola Land

Re: Talon Grips

Post by FreedomFries » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:59 pm

I put the rubber grips on my TP9DA and like them. Have the same Talon rubber on my PX4CC. I did notice that the fit was not perfect on the right side if the large back strap was in place. I cut my grip so that the right piece was a separate piece and could be positioned so that the hole was centered over the emblem. I think Talon Grips had a disclaimer that the grips would be off center on the Canik emblem if the large back strap was in place, so this was my solution.
1 x

Post Reply