The Offical Red Dot Thread

Focused Discussions for all Canik Firearms. (TP Series, P Series, Shark, Stingray & MKEK)
Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Re: The Offical Red Dot Thread

Post by Janik » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:29 pm

GlennSFX wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:57 pm
Not having the rear iron, I figured I'd go with the best you can get. Trijicon is pretty much the "de facto standard" in micro red dots when it comes to reliability and for self-defense. Thing can take an absolute beating and still work. I don't think you'd regret buying one. Plus I took advantage of a good deal as well.
That's a good point. If I put one on the EC, it'll be for home defense. Not sure if I'd carry it since I typically don't EDC a gun that size, but, in a HD situation, up close and personal if the red dot failed, not sure I'd be using it at that close a range anyway. I'm really torn between the Trijicon and Holosun, as the Holosun is getting very favorable reviews as well, and can take a heck of a beating. I think Prepper posted a video in their section in the thread where they announced it for sale. It takes a beating and still holds zero. And, it has the same footprint as the Trijicon.
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 011

Post by GlennSFX » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:49 am

Janik wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:29 pm
GlennSFX wrote:
Not having the rear iron, I figured I'd go with the best you can get. Trijicon is pretty much the "de facto standard" in micro red dots when it comes to reliability and for self-defense. Thing can take an absolute beating and still work. I don't think you'd regret buying one. Plus I took advantage of a good deal as well.
the Holosun is getting very favorable reviews as well, and can take a heck of a beating.
I took a serious look at the HS507C. The thing that I was concerned with was the dot, it's only 2 moa. The outer ring is 32 moa and can be viewed with or without the dot. That dual circle/dot configuration seem to be more geared to use on a rifle.

I have the 3 moa Venom and 8 moa Burris, in the end I decided to go with the 6.5 moa Trijicon. For me, the 2 moa would be too small.
0 x

runeight
Founding Member #: 198

Post by runeight » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:55 am

Agree, moa has to be 4 to 6. (Old eyes)

I had a Venom 3moa and a Sig 1moa on a rifle. Where is it? Where did it go? :lol:

Sold both on fleabay, bought Venom 6moa.
0 x
We are in a civil war..
..we just haven’t brought out the guns.

Janik
Staff Member

Post by Janik » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:11 am

GlennSFX wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:49 am
Janik wrote:
GlennSFX wrote:
the Holosun is getting very favorable reviews as well, and can take a heck of a beating.
I took a serious look at the HS507C. The thing that I was concerned with was the dot, it's only 2 moa. The outer ring is 32 moa and can be viewed with or without the dot. That dual circle/dot configuration seem to be more geared to use on a rifle.

I have the 3 moa Venom and 8 moa Burris, in the end I decided to go with the 6.5 moa Trijicon. For me, the 2 moa would be too small.
Your killing me here. Every time I think I finally know what direction I'm going, you throw logic into the mix. I wish I could afford both and actually compare them side by side. I was curious about the circle/dot configuration on a home defense handgun since it would be used at close range (though I pray I never have to). I do see your point about it probably being suited better to a rifle. Guess I better watch more YT vids and do some more reading.
0 x

runeight

Post by runeight » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:01 am

I think they call it “paralysis by analysis”.

Just went through it myself on a Rangefinder. :-?

I followed GlennSFX for that very reason. Logic. His front sight research worked out perfect. (For me)
0 x
We are in a civil war..

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:09 am

Janik wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:11 am
GlennSFX wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:49 am
Janik wrote:

Your killing me here.
SORRY!!! Logic...that's the engineering side of my brain screwing things up. :lol:

My first red dot was a multi-reticle Truglo I bought at Bass Pro probably 5 years ago. I wanted to try one on my S&W 22lr target pistol and didn't want to spend a lot of money. It was inexpensive and had decent reviews. Figured I couldn't go wrong for $70. First thing I did was play around with the different reticles.

The first was the crosshairs, circle and dot. The 2 moa dot was nice but overall it way too cluttered for shooting a small target at distance. The second crosshair was pretty good, but if seemed like you wanted to correct horizontally and vertically as you were looking at the target. Third, the circle and the dot was also a little cluttered. Last but not least was the dot, which I liked the best. Didn't matter if the gun was slightly canted, as long as the dot was where you wanted it, you were good. Only thing was, the 5 moa was a little big on a small 22lr target. Really wished they had used the 2 moa dot by itself. I thought the multi-reticle thing would be cool..however, the old saying seems to still hold true..."Keep it Simple Stupid"!!!

When I bought the 3 moa Venom, I purchased it to see how I would like a smaller dot before spending the money on a Trijicon. My son has the 3.5 RMR and I just wasn't sure about it. I figured if it was a little too small for the intended purpose, I'd put in on the 22lr target gun, and that's exactly what I'm doing. I find the larger dot is just quicker to pickup on the next shot when dealing with recoil. As I've stated in previous posts, the 6.5 moa is only is covering 0.65" at 10 yards. That's less than 3/4" on the target. 1.3" at 20 yards. On a 8" IDPA center mass circle, that's nothing.

So with all that said, I'll steal a line from Forest Gump..."That's All I Have To Say About That"! :lol:
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:11 am

runeight wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:01 am
My brother suffers from that...to the point where my sister-in-law thinks it's a mental illness!!!!! :lol:
I have to admit...he is pretty bad!
0 x

runeight

Post by runeight » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:25 am

GlennSFX wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:11 am
runeight wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:01 am
My brother suffers from that...to the point where my sister-in-law thinks it's a mental illness!!!!! :lol:
I have to admit...he is pretty bad!
Been there myself taking golf lessons.
0 x
We are in a civil war..

FrankW
Founding Member #: 013

Post by FrankW » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:03 pm

Where are you buying CR1632 batteries for your Venom? There are a bunch on Amazon but worried about getting fresh batteries that hasn't been sitting on the shelf for a year or so.

Anyone know the shelf life of the CR1632 battery? If I buy a card of five batteries will some self discharge before I can use them up?

Any information is appreciated.

Frank
0 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:32 pm

I have been disappointed by batteries bought from Amazon. Some good, some fakes, some old.

Is there a Batteries Plus near you?
0 x

runeight

Post by runeight » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:33 pm

FrankW wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:03 pm
Where are you buying CR1632 batteries for your Venom? There are a bunch on Amazon but worried about getting fresh batteries that hasn't been sitting on the shelf for a year or so.

Anyone know the shelf life of the CR1632 battery? If I buy a card of five batteries will some self discharge before I can use them up?

Any information is appreciated.

Frank
I’ve ordered off of Amazon with no issues. Even if you buy one locally they last a long time. Also, the Venom turns on and off.
0 x
We are in a civil war..

isldtime

Post by isldtime » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:59 pm

My Viper uses 2032's Even Dollar General carries them
0 x

Janik
Staff Member

Post by Janik » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:08 pm

I ended up trying a Sightmark Mini Shot M-Spec on my Elite Combat. I like it, but I think it's going to end up on one of my AR's. It's a bit heavier than my Venom weighing in at 2.3oz vs the Venom at 1.6oz. It's a nice solid sight so far, but a little bigger than what I want on my Elite Combat. I will keep it on there for a few more range sessions though to see how it holds up.
20181221_112141s.jpg
20181221_112141s.jpg (115.92 KiB) Viewed 667 times
0 x

Janik
Staff Member

Post by Janik » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:29 pm

Sightmark Mini Shot M-Spec and Vortex Venom side by side on the Elite Combat and SFx.
20181221_112716.jpg
20181221_112716.jpg (378.17 KiB) Viewed 651 times
2 x

LEOJIM

Post by LEOJIM » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:53 am

I found that the easiest way to zero your red dot sight in on a SFX to use a rifle bore sight. The barrel is long enough for the bore sight. I sighted in at 15yrds I made sure that the red dot and the laser met at the same point where it looked like one dot. When I went out and shot the SFX I was dead on at 15 and 25 yrds, no adjustments needed.
2 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:05 am

LEOJIM wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:53 am
I found that the easiest way to zero your red dot sight in on a SFX to use a rifle bore sight.
I used my LaserLyte trainer to essentially do the same. I sighted mine in at 10 yards using this target...http://www.arma-dynamics.com/assets/rmr-10yd-mod2.pdf.

I then use this ballistics calculator...http://www.shooterscalculator.com/balli ... ate+Chart+ with the bullet data for the ammo I'm using, and set it for a 10 yard zero to see where the 20 yd POI would be. I then adjusted the sight by that amount, and shoot the target at 20 yds to see where the actual POI is and tweak from there.
0 x

kjphilippona

Post by kjphilippona » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:26 pm

Vortex Venom 8-)
Attachments
IMG_3339.jpg
IMG_3339.jpg (570.46 KiB) Viewed 617 times
1 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:02 pm

I wonder if you can use the Sightmark battery cover on the Venom (I'll bet yes). My biggest complaint is that the Venom's battery cover has a weird slot that doesn't fit standard screwdrivers (at least on multi-tools).

I know that you are supposed to be able to remove it with a casing, but that isn't easy or elegant either.
0 x

runeight

Post by runeight » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:24 am

Finally dug out the Parallax Sighting System. It’s not a bad design however additional rear vise screw set would help. You can order the parts, drill holes blah..blah. I used some large washers and had an extra bubble level which I glued a magnetic strip. It’s not so much the stand but making sure the gun is level.

I’ll check my LGS today for a laser bore sight. If not I’ll order one.

1 x
We are in a civil war..

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:10 am

runeight wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:24 am
Hey eight...

Is that your wife's gun, or is that "Lipstick Charging Handle" just showing us your more "Feminine" side????? =))

1 x