The Offical Red Dot Thread

Focused Discussions for all Canik Firearms. (TP Series, P Series, Shark, Stingray & MKEK)
runeight
Founding Member #: 198

Re: The Offical Red Dot Thread

Post by runeight » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:30 am

Here’s another option.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore ... qb-reticle

I know nothing about them, whether for a rifle, pistol or both.

Chime in.
0 x
We are in a civil war..
..we just haven’t brought out the guns.

runeight

Post by runeight » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:39 am

Boy! I think I could find something to mount this on. :-D

It’s pretty long for pistols but I do have this. (Sold the RMR)

Last edited by runeight on Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
We are in a civil war..

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:41 am

runeight wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:39 am
Nice.
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image ImageImage

runeight

Post by runeight » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:43 am

Or this?

Bad azz! (It’s for sale)

Last edited by runeight on Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
We are in a civil war..

runeight

Post by runeight » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:46 am

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:41 am
runeight wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:39 am
Nice.
Thanks. Has trigger upgrade also. About a pound and a half. Volquartsen Custom trigger. (edit)
0 x
We are in a civil war..

Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Post by Janik » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:28 am

GlennSFX wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:19 am
I totally agree with "all-of-the-above"!!!

In a real world self-defense scenario, where a handgun is in use...I can't see a shot on a threat being anything more than 3-5 yards at most. If you're being approached, assess the threat early, decide to draw your weapon, and then see the threat reaching for and presenting a handgun, or coming at you with a knife or other object, you might probably have time to aim. In all other conditions, it's likely going to be within 3 yards max!!! You'll be shooting before bring the gun up to your line of sight at that distance. I've been in training classes where multiple shots are fired at a distance of 3 to 5 feet. The first shot is from the hip, elbow back fired into the low/mid torso with your support hand possibly blocking a strike from the threat, as the strong hand comes up, the next shots are into the mid/upper chest cavity as you come up to your support hand if it's available, and then to the head as you extend out. Doesn't really matter if your shooting irons or a dot at that point. With a stress threat you have one focal plane, and that's the target...it's the way our brains function under stress. That's why in general, the red dot optic is viewed highly under a stress situation because you are only dealing with one focal plane...always the target.

I've see a number of law enforcement shooting Carry Optics in IDPA with their duty pistols. Reason being you have more "situational awareness" with a single focal plane. Safer for the officer and threat especially if the threat is mis-assessed.
Good info, thanks. I need to take some self defense classes with handguns. Though I had plenty of firearms training when I was a reserve PO several years ago, things have changed since then. And, the tactics were different than that of a civilian in a self defense situation. I was looking at buying the PPS M2 with the SHIELD already installed for carry, but have since decided not to. I did a lot more research on the SHIELD and I don't think it's trustworthy quite yet. Maybe the next generation will be. At this point if I'm going to put a red dot on a carry pistol, it will most likely be a Trijicon or Holosun. I'm sure improvements on the red dots will come to market over the next couple years so I think for now, I'm going to stick with Vortex and save some money. I'll get my EC set up with a 3moa Venom and wait awhile before investing more. But, I think I'll take some self defense classes with the Venom installed on the EC.
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 011

Post by GlennSFX » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:13 pm

Janik wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:28 am

I did a lot more research on the SHIELD and I don't think it's trustworthy quite yet.

At this point if I'm going to put a red dot on a carry pistol, it will most likely be a Trijicon or Holosun. I'll get my EC set up with a 3moa Venom and wait awhile before investing more. But, I think I'll take some self defense classes with the Venom installed on the EC.
I had the same findings/thoughts on the SHIELD. Also worth having the manual control!!!
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:27 pm

OH BOY!!!!!!

This is what happens when you have your "Christmas Presents" sent to work! :-D

Just had to open it to make sure they sent me the correct one! :lol:

And of course I had to install the battery to make sure it worked!!!!
This thing is going to be SWEET! I really like the dot size and it's crisp as hell!

Now if I was really :YMDEVIL: ish...I would swap out the optics and put the Venom in the Trij case and my wife would be "None the Wiser" Christmas morning!!! Jump up and down...give her a big :X

Should I...or Shouldn't I... :-??
0 x

runeight

Post by runeight » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:50 pm

I already told you the answer.

Remove rmr, wrap empty box, place under tree, act surprised, kiss the wife.

Simple. ;-)
0 x
We are in a civil war..

runeight

Post by runeight » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:54 pm

runeight wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:09 am
No..no..no!

Remove the red dot, wrap box, put box under tree.

Act really surprised on Christmas and say “just what I wanted!”
See....early this morning too!

:lol: :lol:
0 x
We are in a civil war..

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:16 pm

runeight wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:50 pm
I already told you the answer.

Remove rmr, wrap empty box, place under tree, act surprised, kiss the wife.

Simple. ;-)
:lol: I must have missed that!!!!!
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:22 pm

:-? ...I'll just have to have my son in the loop, he'll be home for Christmas and was the one pushing me to go with the Trijicon! He'd clearly know I pulled a fast one!!!
0 x

runeight

Post by runeight » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:52 am

GlenSFx....

Talking about FO colors with the RMR I wonder how a brass insert would work. I have brass on several revolvers and it does “pop”.

-Down side would be at night. (Carry)

-Down side would be how to mount it so as not to move. Not sure you could flare the ends.

Just kicking the can.
0 x
We are in a civil war..

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:20 pm

I DID IT!!!!
Just couldn't resist...the Venom will be wrapped and going under the tree! :lol:

Side by side comparison...

• The sight window of the Venom is wider that the Trijicon and the glass is not tinted as much as the RMR. There is a slight blue tint which is more noticeable against a white surface. Outdoors, in normal lighting, it isn't that noticeable.
  • Going to place a center line on the back of the Trij for front sight alignment. Like the lines on the Venom.
  • The brightness adjustment range is wider on the RMR, brighter on the high end and much lower on the low end. Clearly designed for use with night vision
  • The dot is crystal clear and sharp, no flaring.
  • Like the positive "click" feedback when making elevation and windage adjustments.
Mounting the RMR was straight forward using plate #02. The screw holes are cut for the thread pitch of the supplied RMR mounting screws. They are T10 Torx screws. I purchased the RMR sealing plate, but decided to not use it. The Canik mounting plate provides complete coverage for the RMR gasket. The plate is designed for milled slides that are narrower than the RMR body.

The Trijicon fits very well, and the profile is pretty much the same as the Venom. The dot comes right into view with normal extension. Definitely like the 6.5 moa! Quicker to pickup than the 3 moa dot. I'll have to see how the front sight lines up over the body when shooting without the dot. Right now the hole in the front sight for the fiber, and the dot, are fully co-witnessed. Seems the Trijicon has a slightly lower profile. After the final zero and front sight check, I might take a file and lower the height of the front sight. A lower 1/3 co-witness would be better for a cleaner sight picture with the dot. We'll see.

Zeroed it in using the laser bullet and ShootOff software at 7 yards. Good enough to start before heading to the range tomorrow. POA and POI are spot on. There was some adjustment required once I fired live ammo at distance with the Burris and the Venom, so I'm assuming the same for the RMR. This gets it very close. My HYSKORE Pistol Sighting Rest showed up today and I'll use it to set the final zero.

Initial thoughts...I'm very happy with the RMR. I have it set to level 4 when using the manual setting for indoor use. Can still be seen outdoors if you're not in bright sunlight. Auto mode adjustment is very good at selecting the proper brightness. Nice thing is, when in manual mode, the unit will go into auto mode after 16 hours when the adjustment buttons are not touched. The unit never shuts down no matter what mode you have it set for. Having the Burris, Vortex and now the Trijicon, from a CC option, the Trijicon is the best choice. Twice the cost of the others, but worth it in my opinion.

Looks good too! :-D

0 x

runeight

Post by runeight » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:09 am

Very nice! When I saw the picture of the RMR mounted my first reaction “ that sits lower” then the Venom.

Interesting that it has a co-witness now and not 1/3 as with the Venom. Quite the drop.
0 x
We are in a civil war..

Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Post by Janik » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:37 am

@GlennSFX thanks for the Trijicon update. Now I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and get a Trijicon instead of a second Venom. Not sure which route I'll go yet. I'll have to see when I get back from Florida how much I have left in the gun fund. I was really hoping the SHIELD would work out, as I like the design of it with the rear iron. Oh well, I"m sure I'll find a reason to spend money again in the near future. I may just get a Trijicon for now though to put on my EC. Or the Holosun, haven't decided yet.
0 x

runeight

Post by runeight » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:25 am

I would think now is the time given the Holidays however I understand vacations and other life things getting in the way.
0 x
We are in a civil war..

runeight

Post by runeight » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:39 am

GlennSFx, give us a report on the pistol stand please. Curious how it worked out. Mine is still in the box, haven’t had any free time to play with it.
0 x
We are in a civil war..

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:36 am

runeight wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:39 am
GlennSFx, give us a report on the pistol stand please. Curious how it worked out. Mine is still in the box, haven’t had any free time to play with it.
Mine is still sitting in the Amazon Shipping box, haven't taken it out yet!. You've gotten further than me. :lol:
Busy weekend, but had to get to the range to at least make sure I had a decent POA/POI after swapping the optic and a laser adjustment. It was pouring rain and I didn't have time to deal with the stand. My wife was waiting in the truck for me so I had to rush it! Took 15 minutes to get it zeroed in "close enough" at 10. I usually like to zero at 15 yards. Ballistics are pretty flat out to 50 yards with that zero.

Off the bag I was within 2" with 6 shots. Good enough for now. I'll take some more time and tweak it at 15 yards when I'm not rushed!!!

0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:57 pm

Janik wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:37 am
@GlennSFX thanks for the Trijicon update. Now I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and get a Trijicon instead of a second Venom. Not sure which route I'll go yet. I'll have to see when I get back from Florida how much I have left in the gun fund. I was really hoping the SHIELD would work out, as I like the design of it with the rear iron. Oh well, I"m sure I'll find a reason to spend money again in the near future. I may just get a Trijicon for now though to put on my EC. Or the Holosun, haven't decided yet.
I've always been one to buy the best available, within reason, at the present time and enjoy it. Or you can say..."I'm gonna wait because something better will be coming out soon", and never own anything. Computers are a perfect example. Six months after you buy it, it's obsolete. BUT...does it still do what you need it to do...YES.

Not having the rear iron, I figured I'd go with the best you can get. Trijicon is pretty much the "de facto standard" in micro red dots when it comes to reliability and for self-defense. Thing can take an absolute beating and still work. I don't think you'd regret buying one. Plus I took advantage of a good deal as well.
0 x