Venom red dot???

Focused Discussions for all Canik Firearms. (TP Series, P Series, Shark, Stingray & MKEK)
Captdave221

Venom red dot???

Post by Captdave221 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:33 am

I have a Venom red dot sight on my SFX. It shot great for a while. I installed the trigger from Freedomsmith and noticed my groups went to crap. I shoot a 5 bullseye target in a league and am hold a solid last place lol. It seems the 1st 5 shots it is fine but the remaining bullseye targets will have 1 in the scoring rings and then all go way low. Cold it be the red dot causing this. I don’t see how the trigger caused the problem. Maybe I’ll contact Vortex on Monday and see what they have to say.
0 x

jonholl

Re: Venom red dot???

Post by jonholl » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:29 am

I have 2 Venoms & here's a couple of suggestions.
Check everything is tight - plate, Venom, & the Venom battery cover. Make sure the washers are on the Canik screws, I had them sticking in the Warren sight the 1st few times I changed to optics plate.
Make sure the battery cover is secure, I had it backing off on 1 of my Venoms. You want everything secure but not over tightened, someone here had to drill out one of the Canik screws from over tightening.
Change the battery!!! I had one battery quit early on one of my Venoms, scope was acting "screwy" - seem to lose zero, turn off, etc. - changed the battery, everything was fine.
Good luck, & if nothing works call Vortex, they have good CS.
0 x

ontarget
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 2000

Post by ontarget » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:40 am

jonholl wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:29 am
I have 2 Venoms & here's a couple of suggestions.
Check everything is tight - plate, Venom, & the Venom battery cover. Make sure the washers are on the Canik screws, I had them sticking in the Warren sight the 1st few times I changed to optics plate.
Make sure the battery cover is secure, I had it backing off on 1 of my Venoms. You want everything secure but not over tightened, someone here had to drill out one of the Canik screws from over tightening.
Change the battery!!! I had one battery quit early on one of my Venoms, scope was acting "screwy" - seem to lose zero, turn off, etc. - changed the battery, everything was fine.
Good luck, & if nothing works call Vortex, they have good CS.
Those are all really good suggestions from jonholl.
I was at the range last week with the SFx and Venom. The red dot started acting up after a few dozen shots and my accuracy went downhill fast. After a few more minutes the red dot totally disappeared from view. Upon closer inspection, I found that the battery cover had unscrewed and was quite loose. After re tightening, everything returned to normal. I took the opportunity at that moment to also check all the screws.
Sure glad I got the Venom with the battery compartment on the top rather than the Viper with the compartment on the underside.
0 x

BentAero

Post by BentAero » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:16 pm

What jonholl said...
On a side note, I also have two if them. The one on my SFx frequently loosens the battery cover. After having the cover fall off once during a stage of a USPSA match, I put a tiny yellow dot with a micro paint marker on the cover, and a matching one on the frame so I can easily see if it's been rotating. Seems to have finally called down and doesn't move much any more.
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:12 am

ontarget wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:40 am
Sure glad I got the Venom with the battery compartment on the top rather than the Viper with the compartment on the underside
I have the Viper and yes, it's a pain with the battery on the bottom. Lesson learned.
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

ImageImage Image

Cole Dedhand

Post by Cole Dedhand » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:42 am

Viper with battery ln the bottom may have the advantage considering all the tales of loose battery covers on Venoms.
Last edited by Cole Dedhand on Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
When you pry the gun from my cold dead hands, don't grab it by the barrel. It will be very hot.

GlennSFX
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 011

Post by GlennSFX » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:07 am

I don't have the Venom on my SFx, I have a Burris Fastfire III with the battery cover on top. I've read a few post where the Venom cover would vibrate loose. I used a "dab" of Vibra-TITE VC-3 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0088 ... UTF8&psc=1) as a precautionary measure and have had no issues of my cover coming loose. For this application I didn't want to cover all the threads, just enough to hold it in position. The MRD has been on for more than 1000 rounds so at this point I'm confident it's not going to vibrate loose. I use this instead of blue Loctite for most applications, much better product IMO for general use.
0 x

jonholl

Post by jonholl » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:01 am

Good idea, nail polish would probably work also.
I emailed Vortex this morning to see what they had to say, will post reply.
I have a Venom with over 3,000 rounds down range with no loosening, of course it's on a .22 :smile: .
When my 9mm worked loose I re-tightened it, "snug" & then a little more, no problems so far.
GlennSFX wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:07 am
I don't have the Venom on my SFx, I have a Burris Fastfire III with the battery cover on top. I've read a few post where the Venom cover would vibrate loose. I used a "dab" of Vibra-TITE VC-3 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0088 ... UTF8&psc=1) as a precautionary measure and have had no issues of my cover coming loose. For this application I didn't want to cover all the threads, just enough to hold it in position. The MRD has been on for more than 1000 rounds so at this point I'm confident it's not going to vibrate loose. I use this instead of blue Loctite for most applications, much better product IMO for general use.
0 x

Bchasse99
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 351

Post by Bchasse99 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:06 pm

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:12 am
ontarget wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:40 am
Sure glad I got the Venom with the battery compartment on the top rather than the Viper with the compartment on the underside
I have the Viper and yes, it's a pain with the battery on the bottom. Lesson learned.
LT.. I have the Viper also on my SFX.. I'm not complaining because it's been 6 months now and I shoot weekly and no issues with the
battery.. yeah it's a pain to change it but I haven't had to change it yet in 6 months. I do like the auto brightness feature that the
Venom has though and so...I guess there are Pros and Cons to both.. I will say that my Viper.. does not lose zero even after I change
the battery.. it's spot on every time..
0 x
Brian Chasse
U.S Air Force , SMSgt (Ret)

jonholl

Post by jonholl » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:29 am

Email reply from Vortex;

Good morning Jon,

Thank you for choosing Vortex! Sometimes the connectors that hold the battery are a little tight, and forces the battery up just a tiny amount and doesn’t let the cover fit correctly. Push the battery down with the tip of your finger before installing the cover, and that should take care of it. I’m sorry you had an issue, let me know if you need anything else.

Best,

Larry
0 x

Bigdawgbeav

Post by Bigdawgbeav » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:16 am

Sa,e thing happened to me with the venom battery cover, but I continued to shoot it when I should have taken it to the safe table and checked it. Lesson learned there. Would have saved myself 2 steel stages of frustration.
0 x

John_

Post by John_ » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:36 pm

The Burris FF3 has a tiny o-ring on the battery cover. Mine has yet to loosen after 250 rounds on my SFX. More worries about cross threading when installing the cover. I read a purchaser did this installing the battery in a new unit, and he was really pissed!
I could see how it very easily could happen if one is not most attentive and careful. Be warned any new FF3 users!
0 x

NWCanik

Post by NWCanik » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:53 am

one of the tools a serious gun owner should own is a torque screwdriver. They are almost mandatory to installing scopes and red dots to be sure that they stay put . combine the correct screw torque with some lock tite and its not going anywhere .

a good one is the wheeler . i have a mountz one that cost quite a bit more, but its a professional model.
0 x

ncjw
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by ncjw » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:16 pm

Ditto on the wheeler torque driver, but someone has to tell you the proper torque.
0 x