Removing barrel from slide

Focused Discussions for all Canik Firearms. (TP Series, P Series, Shark, Stingray & MKEK)
Motodeficient

Removing barrel from slide

Post by Motodeficient » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:05 am

Hello All,

I ust bought my first Canik, a TP9SA Mod2. The first thing I noticed is that the barrel is much tighter to remove from the slide than any other firearms I've owned. There isn't much clearance at all to lift it out of the slide due the the sharp, raised ledge on the bottom of the slide behind the breach face. In fact, I scratched the top of my barrel the first time I removed it :oops: . I'm used to Glocks where there isn't an issue. Am I overlooking something here?

ETA: I guess the problem is I need to lift the back of the barrel straight up out of the slide instead of back and up like I am used to on other guns.
0 x

Badgerboy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 999

Re: Removing barrel from slide

Post by Badgerboy » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:16 pm

I've never noticed this, and don't remember it being any different than my other pistols. I don't have the SA Mod2, but don't imagine that it is much different than the SA, SF, etc.
0 x
If Progress means 'to move forward'...what does Congress mean?

Motodeficient

Post by Motodeficient » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:52 pm

Its very strange. The barrel takes effort to remove from the slide. It gets stuck at the muzzle end and gets scratched every time by the ledge on the bottom of the slide at the breech end.
Last edited by Motodeficient on Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

templarmachine

Post by templarmachine » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:59 pm

I agree. Mine actually fell out. Was exactly like any other striker I've owned.
0 x

Howdee500

Post by Howdee500 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:38 am

I have 2 sfxs. 1 has a tight barrel, 1 does not. It's not tight enough to be a problem and so far I 've ignored it. I will do some switch a roo and see what I can find out.
0 x

onlyoldiron4me
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 204

Post by onlyoldiron4me » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:48 pm

The first time I took my barrel out of my SFX, it was real tight, had to fiddle with it to get it out.
After I took it apart and treated it, and put 350 rounds thru it, it is a lot better now, but still tight!
Tight is all right, it should break in well!
0 x

hoosiercodger
Founding Member #: 420

Post by hoosiercodger » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:08 am

Same here. My elite had a tight barrel and I had a little trouble at first but it broke in well and now no issues. Put a little oil on it and shoot it, it'll be fine.
0 x
Never argue with an idiot for he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience!!!

jnichols2

Post by jnichols2 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:10 am

To those with "tight" barrels". If they are not a problem, don't send them out to get fixed.
They will wear in, and probably have a tighter than normal lockup -- more accurate.
They may have more wear marks on the barrel, but shoot better.

No, I've never had a Glock with a tight barrel. Glocks are loose.
No ding on glock. Loose barrels are less affected by dirt, or lack of lube.
But, tight barrels lock up better. All designers make trade offs.
1 x