Olight PL 2 Mini doesn't fit my new DA!

Focused Discussions for all Canik Firearms. (TP Series, P Series, Shark, Stingray & MKEK)
PackingMalapropos

Olight PL 2 Mini doesn't fit my new DA!

Post by PackingMalapropos » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:07 pm

My PL 2 Mini fits on every other pic rail I've got. Looks like the slots aren't cut deep enough in the TP9. Has anyone else found non-standard pic rails on their Caniks?

Also while dry firing with my normal grip, I see that my thumb is going to ride directly on the slide stop, it looks I'll have to cut the rear tab off the slide lock or I'm going to have change my grip or just get used to the slide not locking back.

Oh well, nothing is perfect.
Last edited by PackingMalapropos on Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

jgillaspy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Olight PL 2 Mini doesn't fit my new DA!

Post by jgillaspy » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:23 pm

I know that the cuts aren't deep enough, but I've never heard of the mounting interfering with any of the controls. Photos, please? One thing I didn't notice the first time I mounted a mini is that the bed slides for and aft. Check that as well...

JG
0 x

PackingMalapropos

Post by PackingMalapropos » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:47 pm

jgillaspy wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:23 pm
I know that the cuts aren't deep enough, but I've never heard of the mounting interfering with any of the controls. Photos, please? One thing I didn't notice the first time I mounted a mini is that the bed slides for and aft. Check that as well...

JG
It's the replaceable lug in the Olight mount that's keeping it from going on, I tried the Glock lug as well and it still didn't fit. When I removed lug entirely, it fits fine. I'm thinking about just filing the slots deeper or maybe grinding the lug on the light down to make it fit.

I can't really get a photo that shows what's happening with the mount.

I mentioned the slide lock because the back half of it is right under where I put my thumb and it'll always interfere with the slide lock unless I do something about it, hence I'll probably just cut the back half off wit' me trusty Dremel (aka The Destroyer ;) )

I just picked up the gun today and am just checking it out.
0 x

Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Post by Janik » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:51 pm

I have several DA's and Olight PL Mini II's, no issues at all on mine.
0 x

jgillaspy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by jgillaspy » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:09 pm

The issue with the shallow rail channels is well known for the TP9 as a series, although my SC and PL-mini 2 fit look perfect (using the Clock piece). For just the light is really doesn't matter. I just ordered the Balder Mini (light+laser) ans will verify the fit with my SC when it lets here. Do you have exceptionally large hands? I'm having a difficult time seeing (in my mind) how the light could interfere with your thumbs and the slide lock.

JG
0 x

colonel00
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by colonel00 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:32 pm

Here you go. Plenty of info in this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1602
0 x

PackingMalapropos

Post by PackingMalapropos » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:39 pm

jgillaspy wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:09 pm
The issue with the shallow rail channels is well known for the TP9 as a series, although my SC and PL-mini 2 fit look perfect (using the Clock piece). For just the light is really doesn't matter. I just ordered the Balder Mini (light+laser) ans will verify the fit with my SC when it lets here. Do you have exceptionally large hands? I'm having a difficult time seeing (in my mind) how the light could interfere with your thumbs and the slide lock.

JG
Lol! The OP was badly written! I just was mentioning, as an aside, that my usual grip on the pistol puts my thumb on the back of the slide release, so I'll probably just cut the rear extension off so it'll function. I should always proofread before hitting submit!
0 x

colonel00
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by colonel00 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:26 pm

PackingMalapropos wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:39 pm
jgillaspy wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:09 pm

JG
Lol! The OP was badly written! I just was mentioning, as an aside, that my usual grip on the pistol puts my thumb on the back of the slide release, so I'll probably just cut the rear extension off so it'll function. I should always proofread before hitting submit!
Which model do you have? You can get a lower profile slide release if you want.

Edit: Nevermind I see it's a DA
0 x

qballbandit
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by qballbandit » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:06 pm

Filing the mounts did it for me; Mini on my DA.

Neil 8-)
0 x
"Train Smart, Train Often, And Train Safe"

PackingMalapropos

Post by PackingMalapropos » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:41 pm

colonel00 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:32 pm

Thanks for the link! I don't feel as personally cheated when I see others with the same defect.

I found a piece of bass wood that was almost exactly the same thickness as the pic slot and then I glued a strip of 80 grit sand paper to the edge of the wood and spent a while sanding/cutting the slot deeper until the Glock lug allowed both the front and back of the mount to rest flush against the rail. I'll square-up the slot to spec some time when I've nothing better to do.
0 x

colonel00
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by colonel00 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:03 pm

PackingMalapropos wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:41 pm
colonel00 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:32 pm

Thanks for the link! I don't feel as personally cheated when I see others with the same defect.

I found a piece of bass wood that was almost exactly the same thickness as the pic slot and then I glued a strip of 80 grit sand paper to the edge of the wood and spent a while sanding/cutting the slot deeper until the Glock lug allowed both the front and back of the mount to rest flush against the rail. I'll square-up the slot to spec some time when I've nothing better to do.
Nice work. Yeah, it's a pain that you even have to do it and the fact that Canik actually teams with Olight and uses them in their promotional materials, they have to have seen this issue themselves.
0 x

cdog2800

Post by cdog2800 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:57 am

I have the TP9 SF, and the PL Mini 2 doesn't fit either. If I switch to the Glock mount, I can get it on the firearm pic rail, but it sits crooked and doesn't look good..
0 x

Zardos

Post by Zardos » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:22 pm

I just carefully used a Dremel and a metal grinding bit, Fits fine now.
0 x

Despicable Bee

Post by Despicable Bee » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:45 pm

Apparently I need 25 replies before I can create my own posts so here is one. Sorry.
0 x