Logbook on ANY firearms?

Focused Discussions for all Canik Firearms. (TP Series, P Series, Shark, Stingray & MKEK)
buddyd157

Logbook on ANY firearms?

Post by buddyd157 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:29 pm

when i started this sport/hobby, back in late January-earlier February, i went to the walmart store and got several notebooks, much like those black/white composition note books when we were all in school.

i put a label on the front, of the gun that logbook pertains to

for instance: Canik TP 9 SF

then inside, the first page, i put down the date of purchase, the date of pick up (we have an 8 day waiting period here)

the price i paid with taxes

then i put down the serial number, and below that, the date of build of the gun.

(some guns, have an actual day, month and year build date) but my CZ's, only have the year.

then i put under that, the first day put into service (taken to the range)

then the store where i bought it.

on the second page, is where i start "logging" my trips to the range.

date, how many rounds, name of ammo, grain of ammo. at the far right, would be the "total" of rounds used up that trip.

under this info, would be notes, like,,"full cleaning and lube"

when that page is nearly full, i tally up all the rounds fired, and circle that, at the bottom.

then start a new page.

now why do i do this?

i like keeping track of things. like my cars. i jot down when, where i got them. each oil change, who did the oil change, replacement filters, wipers, etc.

so for all my guns, another reason for doing this is if i should sell any of them. the new owner can see just about everything each gun has been thru, especially cleaning and lubing.

now, i do not include what type of lube, but on my glock i did make note of changing out the trigger connector, and installing a heavier RSA.

it also helps me as well, as now my collections consists of 5 semi-automatics.

4 are 9 MM, one is a .45 ACP.

i may never actually sell any of them, but in the event of my death, a family member knows where to take them, and that person, can take the log books.

it also goes to show the store buying them, that they were well cared for.

it took me more time, to type this up, then it did to start a logbook...
1 x
GOA and NRA member... **==
Canik TP 9 SF

Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Re: Logbook on ANY firearms?

Post by Janik » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:38 pm

Good info, thanks for sharing. Not something I had really considered, but not a bad idea.
2 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:24 pm

I log all the changes & mods I do to each firearm.
1 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image Image Image

buddyd157

Post by buddyd157 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:31 pm

Janik wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:38 pm
Good info, thanks for sharing. Not something I had really considered, but not a bad idea.
it got me wondering, how some people said they "shot off" x number of rounds, and when i asked if they kept a book, they said, no, "just a good estimate"

for me, i do not want a "good estimate", i want a near to perfect count.

cuz when someone says that a certain gun goes wacky after x number of rounds, i want to be able to count up to that and/or be fully prepared.
0 x
Canik TP 9 SF

buddyd157

Post by buddyd157 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:33 pm

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:24 pm
I log all the changes & mods I do to each firearm.
which to me, i think is a very good idea.

like i said, i do it for my vehicles, that way, i can go into the book, and make certain something was taken care of, if the dealership said it was not.
1 x
Canik TP 9 SF

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

Post by Tejas Products » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:50 pm

You should transfer to a database. Then you can sort, catalog, compare, etc.
0 x
NRA Pistol Instructor / RSO
Manufacturer of firearm accessories

higgybaby
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 015

Post by higgybaby » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:39 pm

Number your magazines also.....and anytime you have a malfunction- always note not only what ammo you were using, but also which magazine.
1 x

qballbandit
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by qballbandit » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:35 pm

Interesting, and I tip my virtual hat to you for being so diligent.

I log rounds for each gun, and that's been it, though I do keep hard and soft copies of all purchase records and receipts.

Neil 8-)
0 x
"Train Smart, Train Often, And Train Safe"

buddyd157

Post by buddyd157 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:54 am

qballbandit wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:35 pm
Interesting, and I tip my virtual hat to you for being so diligent.

I log rounds for each gun, and that's been it, though I do keep hard and soft copies of all purchase records and receipts.

Neil 8-)
i keep all sales slips as well. they are in a safe place. this way, we have a copy of the originals, which is a good idea.
0 x
Canik TP 9 SF

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:18 am

buddyd157 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:54 am
i keep all sales slips as well. they are in a safe place. this way, we have a copy of the originals, which is a good idea.
+1. I have one and a copied version for every firearm.
1 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image Image Image

Lgaam
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 080

Post by Lgaam » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:21 am

I've got a notebook/journal. At least one page per range trip/class: which guns went, how many rounds, what skills or drills and what scores, any problems noted. Changes and upgrades are noted between range logs.

Sales receipts and warranty registrations are in secure storage, with scanned copies in the cloud and on a thumb drive. Copies of online invoices are recorded, too. Each folder also has current photos which are updated as needed.

The only things missing are the DOPE books for my rifles. I've got one started for the carbine, but the only entries beyond 50 yards came from a class where I was shooting Wolf 55gr, and I zeroed to the round at the start of the class. Right now, that rifle is zeroed at 50 for Hornady V-Max 55gr.
0 x

McCanik

Post by McCanik » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:50 pm

Buddy, that's a lot of information. I keep information of my guns too but you are taking it to another level.
I agree that price, serial number, rounds fired, date parts replaced, last date cleaned can be useful info down the road.
2 x

BentAero

Post by BentAero » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:33 pm

On every firearm purchased, I take a photo of the receipt (as it has all the info) and upload the photo to Google Drive. Done.

It's easy to look at my purchase history at Acme, Bayou, Gallant, etc as to how many projectiles I've bought. And since I almost never use store-bought ammo anymore, even using common-core math, I can total it up. (The SFx is over 10k. (-| ) Done.

I've only ever sold 5 or 6 firearms over the years, and the crackhead/meth addicts/BLM advocates I sold them to couldn't care less about their maintenance record.

Five pistols? That's a nice starter kit in 'Merica... **==

=)) (I'm so funny!)
0 x

buddyd157

Post by buddyd157 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:31 am

McCanik wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:50 pm
Buddy, that's a lot of information. I keep information of my guns too but you are taking it to another level.
I agree that price, serial number, rounds fired, date parts replaced, last date cleaned can be useful info down the road.
yes, i find that the more record keeping i do, the more i am least likely to forget somethings.

i ran an auto repair shop, and from there, i drove trucks for 48 years. record keeping is very important in both businesses.
0 x
Canik TP 9 SF

buddyd157

Post by buddyd157 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:34 am

BentAero wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:33 pm
On every firearm purchased, I take a photo of the receipt (as it has all the info) and upload the photo to Google Drive. Done.

It's easy to look at my purchase history at Acme, Bayou, Gallant, etc as to how many projectiles I've bought. And since I almost never use store-bought ammo anymore, even using common-core math, I can total it up. (The SFx is over 10k. (-| ) Done.

I've only ever sold 5 or 6 firearms over the years, and the crackhead/meth addicts/BLM advocates I sold them to couldn't care less about their maintenance record.

Five pistols? That's a nice starter kit in 'Merica... **==

=)) (I'm so funny!)
this is true about the meth-heads and crack-heads about not caring any less.

but to (say) a real person wanting something dependable and i tip-top condition, it only benefits him/her in the long run...as well as...the gun dealer. they see the condition and the logbook, and they can get a higher price, over say a dirty, filthy worn out wreck.
1 x
Canik TP 9 SF

Texas1911

Post by Texas1911 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:59 am

Some of y'all really need to see a head doc about that OCD.

I typically take anywhere from 5-12 guns on a range trip. I normally carry around 10k rounds of ammo in my truck. I don't have time for all that stuff. I do keep a record of make, model, serial number and what the firearm has on it.
1 x
American by the Grace of God, Marine by choice.

buddyd157

Post by buddyd157 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:13 pm

Texas1911 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:59 am
Some of y'all really need to see a head doc about that OCD.

I typically take anywhere from 5-12 guns on a range trip. I normally carry around 10k rounds of ammo in my truck. I don't have time for all that stuff. I do keep a record of make, model, serial number and what the firearm has on it.
well some of us, do not have the money for so many guns or ammo. so it takes time to accumulate all that.

so as a result, some (like me) take one maybe 2 guns to the range and maybe under 200 rds of ammo.

now, maybe you reload, and you have a large stash.

some of us, (like me), are still waiting for many of the reloading equipment makers, to have a full stock on the things needed for reloading.

just like (to you) it is a habit to take so many guns, and so much ammo, it is a habit for the rest of us to document many things.

at my age, i ain't changed one bit about documentation, and i really do not see me changing anytime, too soon.
0 x
Canik TP 9 SF

JTacG

Post by JTacG » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:36 pm

Check out the “Gun Log” app for IPhone. It has most, if not all, the features you are seeking.
0 x

buddyd157

Post by buddyd157 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:20 am

JTacG wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:36 pm
Check out the “Gun Log” app for IPhone. It has most, if not all, the features you are seeking.
i have a cheap ordinary flip phone.
1 x
Canik TP 9 SF