What features would you want on a new Canik model?

Focused Discussions for all Canik Firearms. (TP Series, P Series, Shark, Stingray & MKEK)
cfan55

What features would you want on a new Canik model?

Post by cfan55 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:09 am

What features would you want on a new Canik model? Seems like Canik keeps putting out new models, and I'd like to think they will continue to do so.

-Co-witness feature for optics ready models
Seems like the 'Canik trend' for their optics-ready handguns has been to keep the 'loaded chamber indicator' and forego the rear irons, or in the SC's case forego the full size optics. From what I garnered from a lot of reviews is that this is the biggest negative, keeping it from being the top dog. Is there legal restrictions requiring a loaded chamber indicator for Canik? Thinking about a Canik with that trigger, reliability, accuracy, optics-ready, with the ability to co-witness on a full sized RMR, out of the box.. makes me blush.

Would be nice to have a full sized optics cut on the SC as well.

With the increasing competition in the red dot market and red dot adoption on handguns, perhaps offering pre-milled models on the majority of their models could be a nice move.

-Slide stop/release back to the lower profile SF model
Seems like some people are having trouble not riding the slide stop with their thumbs on the elite and elite sc. The SF model slide stop works just fine. Compacts would want to cut on width. I haven't had an issue, but would like to hear what you guys think.

What features would you like to see on a new Canik model?
0 x

Lgaam
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 080

Re: What features would you want on a new Canik model?

Post by Lgaam » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:28 am

While I like the size of the ambi slide stops on the Elite, the only real benefit it's given me is the ability to ride the lever like all my right-handed brothers and sisters. Perhaps a lower profile ambi lever, or the ability to delete the right side lever. Though, unless it's a retrofit, I'm not selling or trading my Elite anytime soon, so I'll keep on keeping on with what I've got.

As for new models, I'm still very much in the camp of the DA Elite or the DA SC.
0 x

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

Post by Tejas Products » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:33 am

I would like one with a manual safety.. A DA only pocket pistol would also be nice....
1 x
NRA Pistol Instructor / RSO
Manufacturer of firearm accessories

higgybaby
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 015

Post by higgybaby » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:47 am

I would like to see a REAL compact TP9. Total weight around 20-21 oz, with a grip long enough to get all fingers on it.
With the current SC- the barrel/slide is too long, the grip is too short, and it is too heavy. Make a true compact concealed carry handgun.
3 x

zeda3000

Post by zeda3000 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:10 am

Fully Polymer model. Lighter recoil spring.
0 x

Jester560
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jester560 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:22 am

A SFx offered in 10mm :-BD
0 x
"When you come to the fork in the road, take it." -Yogi Berra

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

Post by Tejas Products » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:41 am

Jester560 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:22 am
A SFx offered in 10mm :-BD
Might as well go with a .45 and maybe a .22lr model as well... all 3 good choices.
2 x
NRA Pistol Instructor / RSO
Manufacturer of firearm accessories

keltex78
Founding Member #: 1616

Post by keltex78 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:05 pm

+1 on the .45! Still hoping for a SFx45!

Lose the red dot cutout. I just don't care. Not going to use that on the Sub Elite. Might put one on the SFx someday for grins, but that's it.

Big one? External hammer! I would love an SFe model. I've always liked chambered/hammer-down/safety-off for carry. DA pull for first shot, SA for the rest.
0 x
(*) Buy a couple of boxes of 124 gr. WWB NATO to break in the stiff RSA. Cheap, and shoots great in the Canik! (*)

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Post by TL1000RSquid » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:08 pm

.45 or 10mm.
0 x

cfan55

Post by cfan55 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:44 pm

keltex78 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:05 pm
+1 on the .45! Still hoping for a SFx45!

Lose the red dot cutout. I just don't care. Not going to use that on the Sub Elite. Might put one on the SFx someday for grins, but that's it.

Big one? External hammer! I would love an SFe model. I've always liked chambered/hammer-down/safety-off for carry. DA pull for first shot, SA for the rest.
Found out the Holosun 507k has the same rmsc cutout, but havent found confirmation on if it fits/needs modification/doesn't fit.

Would you guys trade the loaded chamber indicator for a co-witness able rmr cut?
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:55 pm

cfan55 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:44 pm
Would you guys trade the loaded chamber indicator for a co-witness able rmr cut?
ah, yeah!
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

ImageImage Image

ncjw
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by ncjw » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:34 pm

A thinner SC. Glock bit the bullet and thinned their 9's. You lose mag compatibility but gain a lot more concealment.

As above, a thumb safety. Sig and SW win a lot of contracts that Glock doesn't because a thumb safety is required. (Guns taken from police does happen much more than it should) Frame mounted only. Canik has tons of SKU's for silly colors and such, so maintaining safety versions shouldn't be that difficult.

Lastly, I love the Elite and SC release, give us the dang SFx Mod 2 and SF Mod 2 that the rest of the world has for Pete's sake.
0 x

qballbandit
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by qballbandit » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:20 pm

I'm up a version of the DA in .45. I enjoy the DA/SA capability with decocker. Maybe even at 5in. Optic ready another smart option, though that would fudge the decocker, so a hammer version without?
Not so much for carry, but for Home Defense, and range fun.

Best wishes,

Neil 8-)
1 x
"Train Smart, Train Often, And Train Safe"

MK-24-

Post by MK-24- » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:37 am

qballbandit wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:20 pm
I'm up a version of the DA in .45. I enjoy the DA/SA capability with decocker. Maybe even at 5in. Optic ready another smart option, though that would fudge the decocker
A .45 DA, Optic Ready and Decocker repositioning would be dream a come true!
Last edited by MK-24- on Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

ncjw
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by ncjw » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:07 am

Well, a .45 SFx would be fine, my old eyes need the red dot but RMR equipped better 1911's run over $1000.

Again, a frame mounted thumb safety would trump a decocker for me, but that is a stretch goal.
0 x

qballbandit
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by qballbandit » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:17 pm

"Decocker repositioning".
Yes, though I can't come up with a good solution. I have a Sig P226 "Blackwater Edition" (never been fired), and it has the decocker on the left part of the frame. The gun is "too busy' on that side, especially since I am a left-handed shooter, so I'm not fond of the Sig solution on the 226.

Neil 8-)
0 x
"Train Smart, Train Often, And Train Safe"

BentAero

Post by BentAero » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:44 pm

Steel Frame SFx Mod 2 for CO & Limited USPSA, ala Walther Q5 Steel Frame...
1 x

colonel00
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by colonel00 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:25 pm

I'd just like to see some new innovation. Just seems like they've been regurgitating the same basic design for a while now with a few tweaks and a shorter/longer slide and smaller frames. While still a niche gun, I think they have people's attention a bit and should try to capitalize on it.
0 x

ncjw
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by ncjw » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:26 am

I don't mind that too much as the base system is so good. I also understand that it keeps the cost way down as they can use the same parts and tooling for everything.

OTOH, I stIll fail to understand why they can't provide models available in the rest of the world to the US.

Just varying the paint schemes and then trying to claim that they are "new" products is just gimmicky.
0 x

cfan55

Post by cfan55 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:34 am

colonel00 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:25 pm
While still a niche gun, I think they have people's attention a bit and should try to capitalize on it.
This is absolutely true, and I dont think they did themselves any favors by partnering with shield on the sc. Heard a lot of bad things about that sight, and cutting corners with quality on optics can hurt trust in the company. IMO if import restrictions allow it, (-)loaded chamber indicator (+)cut a full size RMR plate (+)co-witness. They have a large military/le production, but the 'red dot' age is here and maybe they can double their demand with the US with minor modifications. Canik has a good name now, and its a good time to find out what the public wants.
ncjw wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:26 am
I don't mind that too much as the base system is so good. I also understand that it keeps the cost way down as they can use the same parts and tooling for everything.
Another benefit of slightly modifying a base model, is that there is less chance the reliability gets affected.
Colors are pretty good for sales imo. Base colors in production, but have a lot of colors in limited edition. People are buying the same models in different colors, so there is interest but how much is what they have to find out. They could just setup a website event and survey interest in a lot of color schemes. Just need to let everyone know they are having a survey through social media/email or something like that.
0 x