Should I be disappointed or not?

Focused Discussions for all Canik Firearms. (TP Series, P Series, Shark, Stingray & MKEK)
buddyd157

page 2 "general over view"

Handguns being imported into the United States must also be recognized as particularly
suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes under 18 U.S.C. § 925(d)(3). An ATF
Form 4590, Factoring Criteria for Weapons, is used in evaluating handguns for these
purposes.
Handguns evaluated on the Form 4590 must obtain a certain numeric value before they are
approved for importation. The factoring criteria are based upon certain considerations such as
dimensions, material used in construction, weight, caliber, safety features, and miscellaneous
equipment. For additional information on the importability of handguns, see Factoring Criteria
in this FEIB Guidebook.

and the entire book, here:
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/guide ... r/download

so in the end, i believe it IS possible that the US Customs people spot check some shipments. this also (to me) explains why my new Canik, had NO labels on the trigger and slide.

and frankly, until this thread, i'd have not even given that a thought either.

now, it all makes sense to me, hopefully everyone else.

my gun store DID have to break open the seal on the carrying case, so maybe it was a US Customs seal?

i worked as a trucker for over 35 years, and i had to cross the Canadian border a "few times", they (Canadian or American Customs) can at ANY TIME stop you at the border, break open the seal on the trailer, inspect the contents/bills of lading, and reseal the trailer, and off i went. the seal put back on, was always a Customs seal, USA or Canadian.
GOA and NRA member... **==
Canik TP 9 SF
buddyd157

Badgerboy wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:16 pm
GlennSFX wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:53 pm That's BULL$HIT!!!!
The three Caniks I bought, SFX, Elite, and Elite Combat all had the stickers on the slides and where untouched. That would be the last purchase I'd be making there!!!
This is my experience also...and five times.
isn't it "suspected" that Turkey and Russia are "buddy-buddy", and suspected other things can be shipped here thru Canik?

has to be a bottom line reason for US Customs to have checked all your Caniks.

and you obviously, did not buy your Caniks at the same place the o/p has...

this could be something that will happen more now.
Canik TP 9 SF
colonel00
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Even if Customs inspects it though, why would they remove the exterior stickers? That just seems silly.

To the OP, send an email to Century Arms and ask them their opinion.
ddbtdd
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

copy that!
buddyd157

i got this form another website, where a dealer responded to my question about any sort of seals, factory, US Customs or not...
I've received at least three hundred Canik pistols since they started coming in.....not a single one came from an importer, distributor or retailer with a "trigger seal" or "slide seal" whatever those are. To be clear, not a factory "seal" or a US Customs seal.
Canik TP 9 SF
Texas1911

I've bought two Canik pistols. There are no "seals" on them. My SFX had a sticker on the slide but my SF ONE series did not. The Green Canik "swag" was on the trigger guard of my SFX but was loose in the box with my SF ONE series.

A smart dealer will open the box to verify the serial number so they can enter it in their bound book. It's rare but there are times the serial number on the box doesn't match the serial number of the gun. Guess which one the ATF checks when they do a compliance audit?

So, to the OP, if you're concerned there are finger prints on your pistol then you have nothing to worry about.
American by the Grace of God, Marine by choice.
Leon

I would ask about it. But I would be pissed!
Finally

If my firearms were not factory fresh at pickup and I wanted new, I'd get a discount or a refund.
hydguy

They are lying about Customs.Customs will never remove any stickers/hang tags from a firearm. Nor will they 'test fire' them. I'm betting that they shot it, and the manager was well aware of it.
I worked at a gun store with an indoor range for years, and never once did we take new guns out on the range, whether they were for our inventory, or a special order/transfer.
When the FFL receives the transfer/special order firearm, they have 24 hours from the receipt of the firearm to log the SN in their 'bound book' (the BATFE now allows for electronic record keeping). All they should do with a transfer/special order is open the case/box to verify the SN to enter it into the bound book. After that, they have no need or reason to finger it until the person who is picking up the transfer/special order is there to pick it up.

We did have some customers complain that their rifles were opened, but that 's too bad.
However, I did have one VERY good customer that would get a call the day the firearm/firearms arrived and he was allowed to come open it first, if he could be there before the mandatory 24 hours was up. But when a guy spends a few thousand dollars a pop, he gets a little leeway.
SSGNDoc
Founding Member #: 004

I will offer a few reasons it could have been fired which may have had nothing to do with the shop itself.

- Initial factory test fire. This would not explain removal of any tags.
- Test fire after return. Some pistols may have had a problem after initial sale and been returned for factory or authorized repair service work, and been test fired again to verify repairs were effective.
- State required test fire. Some states require firing to obtain a projectile and casing from each handgun in order to catalog markings in the event the handgun is used in a crime.
- Some distributors may have “dealer samples” that got fired and returned, then sold to shops. (These are usually discounted and the ethical thing to do is disclose this at time of sale) I bought a Sig that was a display sample. No evidence it was ever fired, but had definitely been handled and likely dry fired and messed with by who knows how many people. Still looked mostly new though. It was cheaper than buying brand new and the info was disclosed prior to sale.
- Some shops will buy through Gun Broker when a customer has a special request and their distributor may be out of stock. Some will buy used to increase their profit margin. Some get blind sided themselves, by sellers on Gun Broker.

Not going to let them off the hook entirely, but there are some of the ways this could have happened before the gun ever got to the shop. If the bough used or suspected it was previously fired, they should have disclosed it prior to sale.
Laughingman

If the gun is in new condition, I'd probably clean/lube, load mags, and go put holes in paper. Life is short, I would not worry about stickers.

Congratulations on your new blaster OP.
ddbtdd
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Copy that.
Still pissed but I have moved on.
GaDawg0513
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
CF Member: 513

ddbtdd wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:38 pm I emailed the shop with my disappointment and this was their full reply:

Have you ever purchased anything imported by Century Arms? Caniks are and they always come about the same. It's not the stores that touch the tags (unless they block serial numbers). It's actually the US Customers that go through nearly every box as they are imported. We have received them with the actual barcode tag taped to the outside of the box. This has nothing to do with us except in some rare occasion where it was required.

Does this sound right? Has anyone experienced this?
No it is not. I picked up my TP9SFX from an FFL through an online sale in the same condition as my new Brownings, Springfields, and Ruger's. These guys are disparaging Canik-Century Arms and your local gun community. Forward that response to Canik-Century Arms & see what they say.
"Vortex: It's like Jalapenos & Sriracha, I put that shit on everything".
ddbtdd
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

I did forward the response from the FFL to Century.
Mathew at Century emailed the following response to me:
"No, these firearms are packaged at our Vermont facility and shipped from there, they would not go straight from customs to a dealer."
"FFLs commonly remove these parts when firearms are received in order to verify serial numbers and information.
Additionally, when firearms are shown they typically remove these."
Badgerboy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 999

ddbtdd wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 11:00 pm
Still pissed but I have moved on.
I have instructions that this be carved on my gravestone.
If Progress means 'to move forward'...what does Congress mean?