Night Sights for Canik (Night Fision and Others)

Focused Discussions for all Canik Firearms. (TP Series, P Series, Shark, Stingray & MKEK)
umagooma

Re: Night Sights for Canik (Night Fision and Others)

Post by umagooma » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:08 am

That thing just GLOWS with that color in daylight it seems! I like it! Did you install them yourself?
0 x

Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Post by Janik » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:11 am

umagooma wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:08 am
That thing just GLOWS with that color in daylight it seems! I like it! Did you install them yourself?
Yes, I used a sight pusher though. I've installed several sets of Night Fision now on several of my Caniks and other guns. Most times, they just go right on. There's been a couple times where I've had to lightly file either the rear or front sight to get them on though. But from what I've read, that's pretty normal.
1 x

umagooma

Post by umagooma » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:13 am

I am gonna' put those on my Elite and a Springfield XDE. I have read where people and even gunsmiths are breaking these sights putting them in. Have you heard of this?
0 x

Janik
Staff Member

Post by Janik » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:21 am

umagooma wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:13 am
I am gonna' put those on my Elite and a Springfield XDE. I have read where people and even gunsmiths are breaking these sights putting them in. Have you heard of this?
I heard some complaints a year or two ago when they were failure new. I have not experienced that myself. I haven't really researched it either, but I don't recall anyone on this forum having any issues lately.
1 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Post by TL1000RSquid » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:08 am

I've installed several sets now my own and a few for friends. Haven't had any break if they seem to tight file a little bit first. I've installed on glock, canik, cz, m&p and hk.
0 x

Tp9sfx173

Post by Tp9sfx173 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:45 pm

I have the front night fision blue sight for my P226X5 blue moon and it is a great sight!
1 x

ncjw
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by ncjw » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:10 pm

Has anyone tried removing the sights from a One series Canik yet? I have watched the videos of folks removing them from the Cerakote slides with a reasonable amount of taps with non-marring punches, but I am pounding standard punches (with a light gunsmith hammer) and neither sight is budging.

I just hit the joint with some Kroil and will wait a while but the sledge is coming out soon if that doesn't work.

Thoughts? (And yes, I did remove the rear set screw.)
0 x

RAMguy

Post by RAMguy » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:09 pm

You said you have not had much success co-witnessing a front Night Fision sight with the Warren Tactical rear so you've replaced the rear sights when you replace the front. What has been the problem trying to pair the OEM Warren Tactical rear sights with front Night Fision's? I love the Warren Tactical rear that came with the Elite Combat.
0 x

Janik
Staff Member

Post by Janik » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:54 pm

RAMguy wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:09 pm
You said you have not had much success co-witnessing a front Night Fision sight with the Warren Tactical rear so you've replaced the rear sights when you replace the front. What has been the problem trying to pair the OEM Warren Tactical rear sights with front Night Fision's? I love the Warren Tactical rear that came with the Elite Combat.
POA and POI weren't the same. Was shooting low.
0 x

ncjw
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by ncjw » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:29 am

Update: I let the Kroil soak in and froze the SF One slide overnight and pounded the sights out with a steel punch (definitely NOT non-marring) and a 16 oz hammer but they are out.
1 x

GearHead_1

Post by GearHead_1 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:15 pm

For those that change sights occasionally this may be of interest. I hesitantly picked up one of these sight pushers. I don’t have a great impression of NC Star stuff and these guys seem to be associated with them just so you know. I’ve only used it a half dozen times or so but have used it on Glocks, Berretta and S&W’s. It works just fine. I followed them around trying to make up my mind and think I ended up getting one for just over $50. They make these for strictly rear sights or one that does both front and rear. I got the one that does both, they have a slightly different pusher bar.

0 x

colonel00
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by colonel00 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:20 pm

Have a link or a name?

I found this one but it looks a little different.

Nevermind, I found it. $76 on Amazon

Last edited by colonel00 on Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:26 pm

I bought the NcStar and it sits in a draw. Slides always wanted to twist.

I spent the money on a good Wheeler and I think it was worth the cost. Multi-gun and front and rear sight capable.
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Image Image Image

ncjw
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by ncjw » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:33 pm

This is my second sight replacement, the first being a 1911. Based on the Canik Cerakote removals on YouTube, the black nitride One series are far more difficult than the Cerakote. Anyone with a similar experience would be interesting.
0 x

Janik
Staff Member

Post by Janik » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:26 pm

I own this Wheeler sight pusher. I started with the NC Star but hated it. I spent a little more money on this one. Sadly, it's about $30 more than when I purchased it last winter. But it works great for front and rear sights. https://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-Engineer ... rel&sr=8-3
0 x

colonel00
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by colonel00 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:45 pm

Anybody want to be a guinea pig and try out the knockoff? $40 cheaper than the Wheeler

0 x

Janik
Staff Member

Post by Janik » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:48 pm

colonel00 wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:45 pm
Anybody want to be a guinea pig and try out the knockoff? $40 cheaper than the Wheeler

Probably the same thing as the Wheeler, just re-branded. Wouldn't surprise me if they are one in the same. I think I paid $99 for my Wheeler, so that's a pretty fair price.
0 x

colonel00
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by colonel00 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:56 pm

Yeah, looking it over, it looks to be exactly the same. My only concern would be the use of cheaper metals like the portion you rotate to push the site. The also appear to have knockoffs of other Wheeler products like a punch set and bench block that I've seen so far.
1 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Post by TL1000RSquid » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:30 pm

Ive used the NCStar one on several guns works fine for me, but i was knocking them off with nylon punch and hammer prior to this.
0 x

GearHead_1

Post by GearHead_1 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:13 pm

I looked long and hard at the Wheeler pusher when Brownell’s had them on sale at $99. They had a sale that seemed like it would never end but eventually did. I really was going to buy it but I read quite a few reviews that claimed they were stripping the threads on this pusher and that the actual pusher would bind against the frame. No doubt it had to do with a lack of lubrication and a large turning handle. I couldn’t get my head around the actual pusher sitting outside the frame. I liked the idea of the frame being made of steel and the pusher being inside the loop.

LT., I can’t really envision how the slides were twisting for you. That said, I’m not doubting you. The model I’ve shown has a surface contact area of 1 3/4” X 1/2” - 3/4” (depending on pad). This is a lot of surface area for the slide to be rolling and you can sit the slide at virtually any height/plane. I’m not sure which model you have but perhaps the rear site only model provides less surface contact area, I can’t say. I can literally tighten the slide to the point that it would deform the slide. The slides that I’ve worked with have sat in the slot rock solid for me and I’ve cranked on a couple of them using a wrench (which they claim you can use).

Believe me, I’m not trying to sell anybody on the NC Star product. I had my doubts and have seen a bunch of their products over the years that I can say are really cheap. I’ll simply say that it’s worked on everything I’ve tried it on without a hitch and at a decent price ($53 when I purchased it). I will say the the closeness of the adjustment screws and the coarse knurling of the the knob heads can catch your finger finger between the two knobs and cause a bit of pain (won’t do that again). It comes in a nice carrying case to hold accessories.

If I were changing a lot of sites there are several other pushers I would consider (MGW) but when I was looking they were running between $200 - $300. That was a bit more than I thought I’d get out of it as a hobbyist. There are of course dedicated pushers that work on a specific model that are much cheaper but I wanted a little more universal product. I hope I don’t steer anyone down the wrong road here.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the real reason I got one of these was because I found myself installing several sets of sights with tritium vials in them. I don’t think driving these in or out with a punch is a good idea. Anyway...
0 x