Romeo Tango Discusses the SFx and Q5 Match

Focused Discussions for all Canik Firearms. (TP Series, P Series, Shark, Stingray & MKEK)
Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Romeo Tango Discusses the SFx and Q5 Match

Post by Janik » Fri May 10, 2019 9:04 pm

If you're in the FB group, you probably know who RT is. Anyway, he has a YT channel now and responded to a question about the SFx vs the Walther Q5. Check it out, head over to YT and subscribe to his channel. At one time I was very interested in the Q5, but I'm glad I stuck with Canik and went with the SFx. Nothing wrong with Walther, but the SFx definitely meets and exceeds my needs.

2 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Re: Romeo Tango Discusses the SFx and Q5 Match

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Sat May 11, 2019 7:05 am

I think he killed my Jones for the Q5 (that's not a bad thing). Now I need to buy more mags for the SFx. **==
1 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

ImageImage Image

Janik
Staff Member

Post by Janik » Sat May 11, 2019 7:32 am

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 7:05 am
I think he killed my Jones for the Q5 (that's not a bad thing). Now I need to buy more mags for the SFx. **==
Yah, I've been very interested in it too. But my interest has dropped. I still love Walthers, but I just don't see it really doing anything my SFx can't do. At least at my skill level anyway.
0 x

jnichols2

Post by jnichols2 » Sat May 11, 2019 9:30 am

I had a Q5 long before I heard about Canik. After researching the SFx, I bought one.

I have to agree that neither gun does anything the other can't. However; the Canik has the edge on price.
I'll keep both, thank you.
1 x

Janik
Staff Member

Post by Janik » Sat May 11, 2019 9:32 am

jnichols2 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 9:30 am
I had a Q5 long before I heard about Canik. After researching the SFx, I bought one.

I have to agree that neither gun does anything the other can't. However; the Canik has the edge on price.
I'll keep both, thank you.
Definitely. If I had bought the Q5 first, I'm sure I'd never get rid of it. I've yet to own a Walther I didn't want to keep. If money were no object, I'm sure I'd own both. But since I'm primarily a Canik guy now, it's nice having the magazine interchangeability. But since Canik has yet to release a sub-compact, I still carry a Walther every day.
0 x

SSGNDoc
Founding Member #: 004

Post by SSGNDoc » Sat May 11, 2019 3:11 pm

The one of the things I think Canik could do a bit better, is the grip shape. There is still some blockiness to it on the corners. This is the one thing that could have me look at the Walther over the Canik. I can change a lot of things on a Canik with the money I’d save, but I can’t REALLY change the grip shape.
0 x

SSGNDoc

Post by SSGNDoc » Sat May 11, 2019 3:13 pm

Also, it would be interesting to see if the trigger resets are any different with their brand matched slides and frames in place. Sear engagement distances could be slightly different.
1 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Sat May 11, 2019 4:18 pm

SSGNDoc wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 3:11 pm
but I can’t REALLY change the grip shape
I put a Hogue sleeve on mine and I like it muchly better now.
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

ImageImage Image

Janik
Staff Member

Post by Janik » Sat May 11, 2019 5:29 pm

SSGNDoc wrote:
The one of the things I think Canik could do a bit better, is the grip shape. There is still some blockiness to it on the corners. This is the one thing that could have me look at the Walther over the Canik. I can change a lot of things on a Canik with the money I’d save, but I can’t REALLY change the grip shape.
Very true. Though Caniks are comfortable to me, my Walthers are a bit better regarding the grip.
0 x

ncjw
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by ncjw » Sat May 11, 2019 7:41 pm

FWIW, I prefer the Canik grip.
0 x

SSGNDoc

Post by SSGNDoc » Sun May 12, 2019 9:22 am

LT USN (Ret.) wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:18 pm
SSGNDoc wrote:
but I can’t REALLY change the grip shape
I put a Hogue sleeve on mine and I like it muchly better now.
I find the slip on Hogues to be ok. But they add thickness, which can also affect trigger reach. As far as trigger reach goes, the Canik and Walther are already where I want them.

I just find the Walther grip is a better overal fit and is more comfortable right out of the box without having to stick a hunk of rubber on it. Still a Canik fan, but the grip shape is one of those things I have thought could have been better executed from the beginning. It’s not horrible. It’s not the worst grip shape on the planet. It just could have had some slightly more natural curves than what it has.
2 x

FiveDigit

Post by FiveDigit » Mon May 13, 2019 6:06 pm

The only thing that would make me jump to Walther is the steel frame version. If they were to make a steel frame SFX I would buy it today.
1 x

Janik
Staff Member

Post by Janik » Mon May 13, 2019 7:12 pm

FiveDigit wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 6:06 pm
If they were to make a steel frame SFX I would buy it today.
Oh man, you and me both. That would be sweet!
0 x

McCanik

Post by McCanik » Mon May 13, 2019 8:33 pm

I have an SFx but I've never held a Q5 so my comments reference the generic Canik and Walther PPQ grips.
I prefer the Canik grip over the Walther. I have a standard 4" PPQ and I thought I loved the fit of the grip in my hand. However, I discovered that somewhere above 50 rounds the rear edge begins to dig into the knuckle bone of my thumb. The Canik grip looks unremarkable but the edges are more rounded and don't dig into the base of my thumb, allowing a longer shooting session.
Grip preference is subjective to the shape of someone's hands.
1 x