Handled a Combat Executive today

Focused Discussions for all Canik Firearms. (TP Series, P Series, Shark, Stingray & MKEK)
EmC_BRD

Re: Handled a Combat Executive today

Post by EmC_BRD » Wed May 15, 2019 9:05 pm

First range trip is out of the way. All in all, happy with the Executive, but there were a few hiccups that I'd love to hear feedback on.

I also brought my Rex Zero 1CT, and rented a Q5 Match.

I ran 200 rounds of 124grn through the TP9 for break in, mix of Blazer and S&B. Then another 100 rounds of 115grn through all 3, 10 rounds at a time.

The Executive has my favorite trigger of the bunch, with the Q5 being a close 2nd, and the looong reset of the Rex making it a distant 3rd. However it did win in the recoil department, as to be expected with an alloy framed gun.

I also love the mag release on the TP9, even using the smallest button makes for super easy mag changes, but I did run into a few problems. It was very very easy to overinsert the 18 round mag, and I was not able to release the slide until I pulled down on the mag. I also couldn't get the slide to lock back on empty, until the very last mag of the day. Funny enough, I had the same problem with the Q5 about half the time. Other than that, all 3 ran 100%.

The Q5 had the best groups of the 3, but I think that's more to do with the fact that I have a lot more experience with irons than a pistol RDS.

I will clean and lub the Executive, and bring the 15 round mag next time, hoping that fixed the issues. The overinsertion thing is troubling, it didn't take much force at all to cause it. Any pointers there would be greatly appreciated.
1 x

colonel00

Post by colonel00 » Wed May 15, 2019 9:41 pm

Just throwing out a guess but the Q5 and the Exec both have large slide releases. Is it possible that you were riding those with your thumbs on the last round which let the slide close?
0 x

Bfgloki

Post by Bfgloki » Thu May 16, 2019 4:11 am

I am curious how the barrel finish holds up on the traditional wear marks after shooting it a bit. That and the triggers of our beloved Caniks are known for smoothing our even better once a few hundred rounds are pushed through... how much more better she gets!
0 x

Lgaam
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 080

Post by Lgaam » Thu May 16, 2019 4:47 am

Open Ballistics makes a mag sleeve that fits on the 18 round mags.
0 x

EmC_BRD

Post by EmC_BRD » Fri May 17, 2019 9:45 am

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on the slide release next time to see if that's what's keeping it from locking back. The Executive is a keeper for sure, and I can see an SFX in my near future if I can resist the Q5 or this new Beretta 92X.
Lgaam wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 4:47 am
Open Ballistics makes a mag sleeve that fits on the 18 round mags.
My 18 rounder is a 15 with a +3 baseplate so I don't think the sleeve would help much. I may send Century an email and see what they suggest. I'm not exactly forcing the mag in to cause the malfunction, so we'll see what they say.
0 x