Canik Warranty issues?

Focused Discussions for all Canik Firearms. (TP Series, P Series, Shark, Stingray & MKEK)
can590

Canik Warranty issues?

Post by can590 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:22 am

After trying a family members TP9SFX I decided order one. I figured this is a great all in one package to start using for competitions. Did my standard clean, lube, and function check before heading to the range for the first time. Ran a little less than 150rds through it, and noticed that the barrel was already worn down to bare metal in one area near the slide. While I know that this an area that will wear over time, I have never seen that level of wear that quickly. When I got home and started the cleaning and inspection process. I found the cause of the issue. The slide has a manufacturing defect:

Image Image Image Image

I validated that was not normal for the slide and barrel by comparing it to my family members TP9SFX (his has well over 500rds through it)

I contacted customer service (honestly they have been great to work with) as soon as I sent in the photos they sent me an RMA request. I took this to suggest that the issue was pretty obvious.

Fast forward 2 weeks later, I get a shipping notification that something is being sent to me from Canik. I call customer service to see if I could find out what was done to resolve the issue. I was told the only notes that were listed is that it is normal wear. It turns out that the person I was speaking with on the phone, is the same person in customer service that I had been originally emailing about the issue. He was very responsive and is going to contact the tech who looked/worked on it, to get more information. I let the customer service person know that I view this as an open later that has not been resolved, and I look forward to getting an update from him.

I had been planning on purchasing a TP9EC and TP9SF however this issue has made me put those plans on hold.

Has anyone else had issues like this, or have a slide with the same kind of manufacturing defect?
Last edited by can590 on Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

jnichols2

Re: Canik Warranty issues?

Post by jnichols2 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:16 am

You can't always compare one gun to another. Some fit really tight, others not so much.

The gun that fits tight will begin to "wear in" almost immediately.
Yes, it is normal. The parts on your gun are beginning to mate to each other.

If you tear down a car engine with only 25 miles on it, you will see wear on the piston sleeves and crank shaft.
Your barrel and the inside of your slide are "internal parts".
The wear will stop when they are properly spaced, and the gun will last longer than you will. :-D
0 x

can590

Post by can590 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:34 am

jnichols2 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:16 am
You can't always compare one gun to another. Some fit really tight, others not so much.

The gun that fits tight will begin to "wear in" almost immediately.
Yes, it is normal. The parts on your gun are beginning to mate to each other.

If you tear down a car engine with only 25 miles on it, you will see wear on the piston sleeves and crank shaft.
Your barrel and the inside of your slide are "internal parts".
The wear will stop when they are properly spaced, and the gun will last longer than you will. :-D
If this was hand made, built to order, or something done from a custom shop, I would agree that parts are not necessarily interchangeable. This however is something that is mass produced, with the point being that everything should be consistent and interchangeable.

In this case the barrel wear is the symptom, the cause is the slide was not machined correctly. Looking at the photos you can see that the gouges in the slide match up with the chipped finish on the barrel.
Last edited by can590 on Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Post by Janik » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:40 am

I've seen several post this type of wear on their Canik barrels, and apparently it's "normal". I have it on a few of my Caniks as well. To me it's a non-issue.
0 x

can590

Post by can590 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:47 am

Janik wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:40 am
I've seen several post this type of wear on their Canik barrels, and apparently it's "normal". I have it on a few of my Caniks as well. To me it's a non-issue.
My focus is on the issue with the slide. I may need to remove the photos of the barrel, it seems to be projecting the wrong focus of the issue.

nice JK by the way.
1 x

higgybaby
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 015

Post by higgybaby » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:17 am

I do not have the marking inside the slide like yours-
but all 4 of my Caniks have this wear on the barrel.
0 x

can590

Post by can590 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:39 am

higgybaby wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:17 am
I do not have the marking inside the slide like yours-
but all 4 of my Caniks have this wear on the barrel.
All but 1 of my other barrels show some form of barrel wear (the one that does not only has about 500rds trough it), so I get that it is normal over time/use.

I was able to find one other tread here with folks posting pictures of premature barrel wear. It looks like 2 of the owners also found out they had slide issues.

Honestly had I known that this was a possible issue, I would have inspected that area of the slide, and had it returned/exchanged before doing the transfer.
0 x

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

Post by Tejas Products » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:54 am

Here is my SFX after 400 - 500 rounds
IMG_3181.jpg
IMG_3181.jpg (126.75 KiB) Viewed 1975 times
IMG_3182.jpg
IMG_3182.jpg (110.52 KiB) Viewed 1975 times
IMG_3184.jpg
IMG_3184.jpg (94.31 KiB) Viewed 1975 times
1 x
NRA Pistol Instructor / RSO
Manufacturer of firearm accessories

can590

Post by can590 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:59 am

Thanks Tejas Products!

That matches the milling and wear levels I see on my family members, also that is about what I would expect.
0 x

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

Post by Tejas Products » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:07 am

You're welcome... I think your wear is a bit excessive as well.... I'm no expert, but thought I would take some pictures for you for comparison.

Mike
0 x
NRA Pistol Instructor / RSO
Manufacturer of firearm accessories

Crosspower

Post by Crosspower » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:51 am

I have a 26 year old Glock 19. There is no bare metal anywhere. My 1st Elite has shiny steel showing top, bottom of barrel and on starting on sides of chamber. I think whatever they finish the barrel with isn't to tough or something.
0 x

maddmaxx1961

Post by maddmaxx1961 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:35 am

My SFX looked like this after 100 rounds. I started putting a little gun grease on the barrel and now I have about 600 rounds through it with no more ware.
0 x

can590

Post by can590 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:42 am

maddmaxx1961 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:35 am
My SFX looked like this after 100 rounds. I started putting a little gun grease on the barrel and now I have about 600 rounds through it with no more ware.
The barrel still had a sheen on it from the oil when I broke it down for cleaning.

In this case it looks like the finish on a barrel could not hold up to the damage done by a miss milled slide.
0 x

can590

Post by can590 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:45 pm

I received the RMA back today. The notes only say that "its normal", and does stat that any repair was made. I am going to check back with CS to see about getting this resolved
0 x